Monday, December 27, 2010

Weekly Challenge #2

I hope everyone had a great Holiday weekend - things were a little crazy and hectic around here, but that's kind of par for the course with my family. ;)

That's pretty much par for the course for Christmas, don't you think?

Well, it's Monday morning, so that means it's time for the second Weekly Challenge! If you're just joining us, you can see the list of previous challenges here! The slideshow for the challenge can be seen here.  If you entered your name on the linkey list but don't see your tile - it's because the URL did not direct me to your tile, or i couldn't find your entry.  (sorry!!)

I was so excited to check the blog every day to see who was joining us, and i have to say that it was a fabulous turn out! It was great for me to discover other wonderful blogs!

Yay! Squee!!!

As some of you know, i have a wonderful CZT partner in crime here in Saskatoon named Margaret Bremner.  Her art is so beautiful!  Anyway, last week she posted on her blog the idea of using two attached pencils to create the string!

How many of us saw that post and went: "Ah HA!!"??

so, of course, this week's challenge is to create a Zentangle® tile or inspired piece using the two-pencil-string technique! (thanks to those who emailed me saying "let's do that next!" i couldn't have agreed more!)

So here's how i started mine, with a two pencil string:

Click to Enlarge
Then added my tangles and shading!


Click to Enlarge

It was definitely fun and i'll be doing that more in my future tiles!
I used the tangle "Puf" in the bottom right corner, created by Carole Ohl and in the bottom left corner i used "Gingham" created by Margaret Bremner, and striped bit of the 'ribbon' is called "Zedbra" - it was created by Margaret, but named by me... it's a little inside joke.  Margaret and I are both Canadian and in Canada "Z"s are pronounced zed not zee... So, we aren't CZeeT's, we're CZedT's. ;) (Margaret hasn't posted instructions to Zedbra yet!)

Hey, does anyone know if there is a name to the tangle in the top right corner of my tile? if it's not named, i'm going to give it one. ;)  i saw it on the floor of the castle in the last Shrek Movie and i HAD to draw it!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun!

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

So sally forth good tanglers and double string thy tiles!  if you need some inspiration, be sure to check out Margaret's Post to see her gorgeousness!

33 comments:

  1. The pattern in the upper right corner is an oft used quilt pattern called Ohio Star. Looks great in your tangle.

    Thanks for the new challenge - wanted to try it since Margaret posted it just didn't find the time - guess I will now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Zedbra" LOL! I love it! I too tell people I'm a CZedT, even though it doesn't quite roll off the tongue like CZeeT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really had fun with this one, and I thought I would post early this time. Looking forward to see the others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tile, Laura!
    I must post the Zedbra instructions. Hmm, must draw them first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Laura and Margaret! I love this double string thingy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea this week...fun to do and brought back lots of memories from childhood! I really love the pattern within the double string Laura...I've still got work to do on my 'baubles' to get them looking this good LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. The one in the upper right is sort of like knightbridge and Pinwheels put together, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two pens worked most excellently! Thank you for a fantastic challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh oh . . . Cookie's link doesn't work, at least not for me. Can anyone else use it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great way to re-think tangles, and to broaden our horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a lot of fun with this one! So much so that there are two 'two-pencil-string' Zentangles in my blog entry this week. (And I shall most definitely be doing more in the future.) BTW, it's fun to see that there are ten contributions to this challenge already (and it's only Tuesday). That's some pretty enthusiastic tangling happening out there, this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope, you're right, Heather. Cookie's link didn't work for me either. I'm sure Laura and Cookie will fix it though - so I'd check back again later. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for another motivating challenge.
    I love the doublestring!!!
    Tomorrow I will go for a stroll (?) through all the other blogs to adore the inspiring ZTs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I met the challenge and jumped it. Wonder where this river will take me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. FUN! I had a tile "in my stash" that meets the challenge, but I am also going to try my hand at some more. THANKS for the creativity spur!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is going to be a great new year with lots of zentangle fun. I'm really enjoying seeing the vast amount of talent and creativity all the CZT's have.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It has been so much fun to be part of this and see all the wonderful work. Thanks again for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've enjoyed experimenting with this tangle and really like how mine turned out...Thank you for providing a weekly challenge for us. Now we need a blinky or button for our blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so cool that so many people have participated so far!! It's been so much fun to visit everyone. Looking forward to the slideshow. Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a wonderful challenge! I love visiting everyone's blog and seeing all the AWESOME zentangles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really liked this challenge just because it was so challenging - really pushed me to explore - still need to work on the technique just for my own satisfaction. Agree - love seeing everyone's take on the challenges. Look forward to more. Thanks
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just entered my tangle. I tried a background design with light gray brush markers. Ugh! Don't think I like tangling with brush markers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! I love this idea! I should be able to keep up with this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Laura ... in Australia we also pronounce Z as Zed ... I had trouble getting my tongue around CZT at first - lol!. Missed the first challenge ... well didn't post it anyway as I have started weekly chemo ... hopefully I will get this weeks done.
    Cheers
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds fun. Soon as I locate my Zentange Journal, I will go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I drew all 4 challenges one night and the next day posted all 4 of them in my flickr and blog. I can't wait until you come out with a 5th weekly Challenge.

    My Husband came up with a challenge that I explained in my Blog involve using your name like what Linda Farmer in Tanglepattern.com showed, but arranged differently which is just as creative. That man has some creative ideas sometimes. I tried 2 of his ideas and used his name in one of them and he was so proud of me.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookies_creations/5355286564/in/pool-704410@N21

    This is another one of his ideas using my first name "Andrea".

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookies_creations/5354670551/in/pool-704410@N21/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoy your weekly challenges, but I missed this one. It was a real challenge to draw the string with 2 pencils!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's easy to make two pencils into something over-busy and hard on the eyes. I kept it pretty simple by only using a couple of tangles in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  29. late again! i loved this one and i fully intend to give the two pencil (pen) method another go!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the challenge. Took me some time to finish this one as I kept changing tangle patterns to use. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed this challenge & think I will be doing more double-strings going forward.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!