About Me

My Photo
The Diva tries her hand at wifedom and motherhood and dabbles in artsy things. She is a Certified Zentangle Teacher.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Weekly Challenge #4 (this is a long post, hang in there baby!)

Welcome back my pretties!! I trust everyone had a great week a tanglin' and checkin out each others blogs!  I have received some really wonderful comments and emails from you all telling me how much you enjoy the challenges.  I'm so glad, i'm going to say again (and will probably continue to say this) how thrilled i am at the success of this project that i kind of half-assed said one day: "Hey, maybe people would be into something like this".  In all honestly, i thought that 5, maybe 8 people TOPS would join the challenge.  The heart swells, y'know?

Riding on the coattails of that last paragraph, i'm going to coyly bat my longish eyelashes at you all and gently direct your attention to the 'donate' button on the right there.  Let me be perfectly clear that you DO NOT have to donate in order to participate.  Not at all.  This is gonna keep on truckin' no matter what.  But, if you DO feel that you'd like to support my little endeavour in a small way, i'd really appreciate it.  With the amazing turn out of participants, i am rapidly using up my free image hosting space and putting more time into it than i anticipated. 

okay, moving on:
i have now upgraded my Linkey Membership (thanks to those of you who have already donated!!) - and what does that mean?  Well, essentially it means that the linkey machines stay active now, even after the challenge is over and the slideshow is posted!  So, you can go back and add your blog to the list if you're late to the game.  cool, no?  I'm also working on a 'button' for you to display on your blogs!  woo hoo!!


and now the challenge:
Starry Eyed Surprise!  

play this video for a wicked song: "Starry Eyed Surprise" By Paul Oakenfold



First of all, i love this song.  It always me think of summer time, and we just got, like 4" of snow yesterday.  Second of all, i love stars.  I like astrology.  I have a tattoo on the inside of my right wrist of the sign for Taurus (which i am)... and Third, i found the title of that song to be really fitting to Zentangle, because its always a surprise, what your tile will end up looking like.

So.

Stars.  What does that mean?  A string?  a feeling? A tangle/pattern? Some other thing i haven't even thought of?

When my husband and i celebrated our 5 year anniversary in 2009, we designed 'matching' tattoos.
click to enlarge
When asked to explain our tattoos, why we designed them etc, i answer:
well, for starter's - the five pointed star = five years of wedded bliss. The spiral = it goes on forever, it's also based on the PHI ratio 1:1.6180339 etc, which occurs EVERYWHERE in nature; in flowers, in trees, in human body - the Phi ratio can also be found in the pentagram (strictly meaning the five sided star - not anything spooky), if you look at b-rad's tattoo, you can see the triangles decrease in size in a spiral, theoretically going on forever, always 1:1.6180339 smaller than the next.

That being said;
B-rad chose to have his star depicting all the intersecting lines and triangles to be more black and white, cut and dry, mathmatical, no frills.  Just like him.

I chose to have my star be open and used blue shading to highlight the negative space of the star, making it pop! - also to make it more ethereal; highlighting my love of astrology. Also, a little more feminine and pretty.  Just like me.

okay, all of that being said, i created a Zentangle® based on our tattoo design, and i loved it so much that i did two! 
click to enlarge

i kind of like how one is so light and the other is so dark.

I also kind of like how my oldest son wanted to hold my "zentango" so i could take a picture.  he's such a good helper...  :|

And another 'also', the secret to my first star is the star shaped cookie cutter that i got for Christmas from my Sister in Law. ;)

sooooo........what will you create this week?

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how do find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I'm also going to try to be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

Have a great week everyone!


52 comments:

  1. Cool challenge and great story! Will keep an eye out for the button for the blog… (I use Inlinkz for blog linking up - don't know if it is cheaper than Mr. Linky - but I thought I would mention it…).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I did the linking or not. I'll figure it out someday. 8-}

    Today (Mon) I posted some of my thoughts about he on-going challenge you've started. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think I got the linking thing right this time, had a perfect morning to tangle, we are all snowed in here in SC...it only takes a few flakes for the town to shut down. Great story Laura and a fun challenge. I love the single star one you made with the swirl trail, it's very soft and dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love stars will love this challenge. I have been doing the other challenges but never posted, bad girl. I have been teaching at my local Library sence returning from training in Whitesville in October.
    Love your challenge I am sharing them with my classes at the local library. Thanks Tons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Newbie here! :]

    Let me start by saying I LOVE that song. I've heard it on tv/movies somewhere, right? Never google'd to find out but thank you for sharing it because now I know! ha.

    I'm Kimberley but aka Kimmie online. I found out about zentangle over the summer [getting online through my phone] and I've been hooked on since. I didn't have internet for several months until now but I've been tangling away offline. I even started an album for them recently. I'm doing one (or sometimes even more, it depends on the time I have) everyday!

    Starting these challenges have made me even MORE excited to make them. I especially love the "eyes wide shut" because it definitely allows me to just do whatever and REALLY express myself, rather than calculating what should I do.

    I've had an account with blogger for a while but I've never really got it going, especially with LIFE happening, but everything happens for a reason and I'm excited to start sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well my Starry Eyed Surprise - is no real stars LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, what I am finding out as I follow along on these challenges is that I have to read enough to get the challenge idea and then avoid the temptation to look at both Laura's work and at the work of the people who post before I get to the challenge (and who CLEARLY are up WAY EARLY in the morning!)

    My star is different... one of my attempts at tangling off the tile...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little one holding the "zentango". TOo cute. Fun challenge! Great song!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for another great idea! I submitted a tangle I just finished but think I might need to be tangling more... stars like company, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a fun challenge and I was so excited to get to use 1 of my Star stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post, your stary tangles and your tattoo! I'll be back with my tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura, please take my first submission out...the link didn't work so I reposted it. Thank you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Laura for the interesting ideas about your tattoo, I love the swirling around your tangled star!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, are you going to add to your tattoo as your years add up?
    Happy tangling everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 5 ★★★★★ for this heavenly challenge

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi all... I posted my starry Zentangle. I had no idea where it was going when I started, and once I got going, I had to change course because of a "mistake". Still, I'm happy with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love you big star with all the swirls! The picture of your little one holding the tangle is so cute! Thanks again, Laura for all the work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Laura for another great idea. This 'stary challenge' was fun to do and flew easily out of my pen. No thinking, just tangling. And it was suddenly done! It took just a few minutes of tangling, another few for shading and then 'a star was born' ;-)!
    Love your stars and the reason for tattooing too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great tiles,beautifully done and what a cute little helper !!!thank you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am late, but just discovered your challenge last night. I love it. Thanks so much for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was an exciting challenge, though I didn't really like or understand the music. Nevertheless, was so into the zen of the process yesterday when the phone rang, that I nearly had heart failure! Thanks for the story about the tattoos, have always wanted one. Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Added mine to the links… Thank you for hosting these challenges. It's like that kick in the pants to creativity and inspiration that we all sometimes need! You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another fun challenge Laura - these make me step out of my confort zone sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoyed your story and the song. It inspired me to tangle a quilt block. Thanks for all your work for this great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I posted Challenge #1, #2, #3 and #4 to my blog and flickr today.

    Linda Farmer on Tanglepattern.com also came up with a challenge that I will finish tonight.

    These Challenges are fun and I'm waiting for Challenge #5.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @cookie your links contine to not work when i click on them can you email them to me??

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another fun challenge....Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A challenging challenge to my star-loving mind!Thank you for the inspiration and challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Linked! :)
    This has been a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Most challenging one so far for me, but still enjoying the process. Not sure I liked it enough to post it here, but then that's not a true challenge is it - if you only post the ones you like?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can't wait to see everyone's designs! I didn't look at anyone else's before I did mine.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! This is amazing - look at all the people coming out and sharing - Laura, what have you started?? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  33. UGH...I got here eventually! Love your story and concept for this week Laura! I love your tiles :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Look, I made a Blog, just so I could link to you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. As usual, the entries are terrific and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Arrrgh!! This one is a Challenge all right, Laura. It's been doing my head in all week. [LOL] I think I have (finally) a beginning. Tonight, I figured out what was driving me nutty about the song though: the beginning of it (and the background melody) remind me of Harry Nilsson: Everybody's Talkin' [LOL] (I'll be late... but I'll be posting!) [grin]

    ReplyDelete
  37. P.S. ♥ your Weekly Challenge button - it's on my blog tonight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ok, so I woke up this morning with a Starry Eyed Surprise earworm! I think I like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the button linking to this site. I understand grabbing the code for the button but where do I put it on my Blogger page. What widget holds the code?

    ReplyDelete
  40. FINALLY found time to tangle on Orbs - wow! This was a cool challenge! I hope your week is easing up and your boys are doing well. Remember - it's the hardest best job you'll ever have! (((hugs))) <- just cuz you seemed to need 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Laura, thanks for giving us this challenge, even in the midst of a stormy week for you. Hope the warm vibes of peace and calm coming your way has sustained you and given you a realization that you have a community of friends who care. We also really enjoy the opportunity you have given us to share not only with you, but with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  42. i had to fight literalism in this one and i actually had a few false starts. but i really like where i ended up!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love your tattoos. I really like your tile for this! Mine is a starry eyed surprised -- done when I was exhausted. Hope it works for the theme :) I've gotten five challenges done and will be working on both ends until I get em all done. Am enjoying myself. Thank you for these challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Don't know if this is working right. Hope I can get my blog up to date on my new fun thing. Zentangles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Joining in late... love your tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  46. great challenge and was a stretch for me to get this one done!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This one was fun. I love the tattoos you guys got.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Loved it! I am having a great time doing these challenges. Makes me think and have fun. ~~tangled terrie lynn

    ReplyDelete
  49. Stars are special for me too. I was happy to see this one and it made me happy to complete it!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!