About Me

My Photo
The Diva tries her hand at wifedom and motherhood and dabbles in artsy things. She is a Certified Zentangle Teacher.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Weekly Challenge #5

First of all - a few house keeping items:

  • if you haven't seen the slideshow for Week #4 - you can see it here
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs!  A big extra special Thank You to Patty Farrell for her Code Work!! She's great!! (THANK YOU!!)
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  You really helped me to have an Attitude of Gratitude this week.  HUGS!

Wow, it's been a crazy whirlwind of a week here at Casa Diva.  For those of you who are new here and don't know, my youngest son Artoo (this is his online nickname) was born just about 2 months early in October - a little preemie weighing 3lbs 15oz at birth.

One of the realities of having a little preemie dude is all the follow up appointment and things you have to deal with.  We know this from our first go 'round with our older son, Chewie (his online nickname), who was also born 8 weeks early.

A few pics from my busy week... appointments with the babe, Zentangle classes, exhausted family couch naps...
Artoo has a little more on his plate than just regular checkups.  He's got club feet, so there's a lot of casting and doctors to see and places to go.  From Friday last week to Friday this week, we had an appointment or engagement each day.  Leading up to this Friday when Artoo had a little surgery-type-procedure to cut his Achilles tendons to make them longer, as part of his treatment for club feet.  By Saturday, i was ready to throw my hands up in the air and scream in frustration and hide in the dark in the fetal position. 

Somewhere, in my infinite wisdom, i thought i'd just throw in a quick Zentangle® class... the second half of the class i did in December for the Teen Moms at a local high school.  The tile in the collage up above is the tile we did. 

All week, i had this desire, no this URGE to draw circles.  I couldn't wait to get to my tile and try, but the week got away from me.  I thought it was weird.  I mean, i like drawing circles - some of my favourite tangles are the circular ones.  I was drawing circles in my mind all week.  I was a little stressed out, to be sure.  And then i started worrying that i wouldn't get my challenge done in time - because i just wanted to draw circles...then i looked up the meaning of drawing circles on this website and this is what it had to say:
Circles indicate a self-protectiveness as well as a yielding nature.

Well, it's pretty safe to say that i was most assuredly in a state of self-protectiveness this week.

With this week of craziness, my urge to draw circles, and Monday drawing ever nearer i suddenly had it!


as my Two year old would say in a very GRU voice (the character from Despicable Me) "Light. Bulb."

The Challenge is ORBS.

I know that Maria Thomas is very fond of Orbs.  They're so fat and delicious.  (I also just started Weight Watchers this week... can you tell??) (She uses them in the instructional video for Betweed)
click to enlarge

According to Wikipedia:
The term orb describes unexpected, typically circular artifacts that occur in flash photography — sometimes with trails indicating motion — especially common with modern compact and ultra-compact digital cameras.

They've also been linked to the paranormal (if you believe in that) as spirits caught on film. ;)

bring on the orbs, baby! I'm so excited to see what you'll create!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I'm also going to try to be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

Have a great week everyone!
 

56 comments:

  1. ooh! I LOVE CIcles, one of my fav's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - no stress at all, love the challenges - it's just me being me - a little off center with a dash of dork. My most used doodle was on the doodle meaning list - cracked me up it was so spot on - scary too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Laura. Hope this week is better. We will all be sending each other lots of circles. I like the idea of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orbs. As in Magic Orbs? Sounds Harry Potterish. I can have fun with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to you with a better week and what a wonderfull challenge. I love doing circles so this will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the challenge Laura! I loved the picture of you all napping on the couch (what a wonderful feeling to have your little ones sleeping so close to you - especially little star wars geekies - swoon!). Keep your head up with all those doctor's appointments…

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your collage, and the little fellows are so sweet. Hope all turns out well for the baby's feet. Just hang in there, all the appointments will pay off.

    Really love what you did with your orb tangle especially the shading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, well done for hanging in there after a challenging week. Thanks for sharing your story and gorgeous photos of Artoo and Chewie, love their online names!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Circles are indeed an ancient symbol of protection. Think of old walled cities. Also the practice of circumambulating a place in order to set it apart and protect it from the ordinary. Also the circle drawn on the ground for Wiccan ceremonies. Also so many round homes (igloo, tipi, etc.).
    Orbs coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! The html stuff for your button worked! I even understood it enough to change the width so it was horizontal instead of square! I'm not a dunce! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great tile Laura !!sending love orbs to you and yours ..(soon)!!!
    i'm really amazed of your strengt to fight and doing a lot more (for others fun) beside...thank you and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whispering Aloha to you Laura ~ surrounding you and your family in a circle of light

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much for this challenge! Sending you orbs and love for you and your family,
    Phine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent challenge Laura, especially since I've had a thing for orbs and circles too! Your lovely tangle of orbs inspired me to do that pattern yesterday...a new one for me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura,I absolutley love this and love you for hosting this. It's become quite addictive in a good kind of calming way. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everyone's orbs; mine is up on my blog. I think one of the reasons I enjoy drawing orbs is the shading. It's like magic to see a flat circle turn into a three-dimensional ball.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Guys, could someone give me a hand on how to "grab a link" ?? I have done all I know how to do on my blog but its not right :( Thanks... much appreciated.. (in advance )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laura, I loved this challenge. I like the doodle meanings too. Hope next week is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rhani, Copy the html text in the box below the button by using ctrl c, then go to your blog and under the design tab, you should see "add a gadget". Click on add a gadget and then scroll down until you see html/java script. Open that tab and then paste the html text in that box. Save your changes and preview your blog. Then if you need to move the button to another position, you can drag and place it where you like. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ORBS!!! Love it...off to see everyone else's inspirational work! I know it will be a feast for the eyes! Thank you all for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sandy !!! Thankyou, it worked first time and I am feeling very smart :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  22. whew!! this one had me trying to think outside the norms of what i always do, but alas I did and finished and fairly happy with the final result!
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was fun, I enjoyed the ride! Thanks for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What fun! I am imagining my turtle monster protecting your premie darling :)
    Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Laura, Thanks for another fun challenge. Love drawing orbs! Give Artoo & Chewie big hugs! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love circles and all things organic, so this was a great challenge! Loved your story about the healing power of orbs, too - most inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for creating this haven online. I love zentangles. They give me joy and I love orbs. They bring out the child in me and lets her play.

    ReplyDelete
  28. For those that are interested...I just posted a new ongoing project (my art journal cover) that includes each one of the weekly challenges. Let me know if you can spot them!
    http://trishnonaka.blogspot.com/2011/01/multi-tasking.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can't wait to see what you challenge us with next.

    ReplyDelete
  30. FINALLY found time to tangle on Orbs - wow! This was a cool challenge! I hope your week is easing up and your boys are doing well. Remember - it's the hardest best job you'll ever have! (((hugs))) <- just cuz you seemed to need 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this one! Orbs are fun! Ready for the next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I hope y'all don't mind having another newbie join in. This is a great site!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the challenge. I actually video-ed my Org challenge and uploaded to youtube for fun. It took me 38 minutes so I cut it into two parts (and cut some clips out). Will send a still picture after I get part 2 of the video done. FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, Laura
    I posted my Weekly Challenge # 5 Orbs on my Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sorry, too much stress at the moment, so I try again:

    Your great idea making a challenge made me starting a blog. As i don’t know where to find the linkmachine, I just add the link to this mail:

    http://gakis-blog.blogspot.com/2011/01/challenge-5-orbs.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, circles...my favourite thing. I also happen to have some I prepared earlier (this week, does that count? I have been away so have inadventantly met the challenge guidelines this week)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi all... thank you for sharing..I am listed as number24 on here but for some reason the system (mine) deleted my account so Ihad to repost and I had to start a whole new blog.so if you were following my blog before, you can fine me again.. i am now #47 and I will repost my previous photos as well. thank you for yor patience too. I love these challenges and am looking forward to the next one

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yay! My ZT is #50! That seems significant even if it totally isn't, lol! I love orbs, bubbles, comets, black holes and all things circly. Thank you so much for this challenge. It's been a blast checking out the results!

    ReplyDelete
  40. 50? Wow! Congratulations and thanks Laura for a great challenge series!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I entered a link to a youtube video yesterday (#41 up there) and just now added a link to my still shot. You can delete the video one since I showed up twice now.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am loving these challenges. Points to Lori right above me, and gives a big kudo's for 1)introducing the concept to me, and 2)Introducing your challenges to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just an observation...where else can you say on someones blog "Nice Orbs!" and not be accused of being a pervert! ha!
    Thanks for the fun inspiration ladies! I've enjoyed oggling your orbs!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am enjoying orbs.....more than ever before. What a great group of people are drawn to zentangle! The results of everyone's individuality is awesome! Happy tangling!

    ReplyDelete
  45. oh geez...remove #52 please...mouse leapt while entering my #6 challenge! :( Sorry Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I think that I have figured it out!!!!
    Great bundles of JOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great challenge! I am very happy to be entering my first challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love circles and hearts. I am going to give the circles a try. As a side note..my first son was a preemie too, 8 weeks early. He is now a healthy young man. They will grow so quickly...enjoy your time with your babies.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Still trying to catch up: here is my 'orbs' :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. It felt very therapeutic to draw orbs!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Same here... trying to catch up on the weekly challenges. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Trying to catch up. My "orbs" look more like "eggs" but it's ok.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!