Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekly Challenge #10

First of all - a few house keeping items:

  • if you haven't seen the slideshow for Week #8 - you can see it here  I hope to have Challenge #9's slideshow up and running as soon as i'm able.  Watch for it this week. 
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

I can't believe that it's already the tenth challenge! Where did the time go? It's been a pretty awesome ride so far, i have to say. What i had started out expecting to be only a handful of participants each week - has grown to such a wonderful community of tanglers... many who i count lucky to call my friends, after 10 weeks of reading your blogs and enjoying your pieces. So, thank you! :D

I'm also looking forward to some of you joining the ranks of CZTs after this week! I'm so jealous, you're going to have such an amazing time in Whitinsville! :)

So, this week i thought i'd make the challenge something that i have trouble with in my own work. There's a line from the Beatles song Within You Without You (click here for youtube) that goes: "We were talking about the space between us all" and all week while i was thinking about the next challenge, this line kept going over and over in my head.

when i do a Zentangle®, my tendency is to fill up every space.  Then, each week as i'm rounding up each entry for the slideshow - i'm always drawn to those aspects that i wish to emulate.  In this case, it's the 'space between' that i have been drawn to. 


I did this one back when Artoo was in the hospital after he was born, but it took a lot for me NOT to fill up the 'loops' - as you can see, i DID actually end up putting something in the loops....

I never think to leave any white space when i do a tile.  The effect of white space can be dramatic, or can shed light in the dark, or can soften... i very often have to make a conscious effort to leave any white space.  But i love the look of it, soft and clean and open - bright and airy...

So, Challenge #10 "The Space Between" create a tile or Zentangle inspired piece being aware of the space between the tangles, leaving some white space. 

This is clearly not a challenge for some - but it certainly was/is for me.  I will continue to play with this one well after this week is over.


If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)  Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(


51 comments:

  1. Woo this will be so good for me, as I often feel I have to fill it all up!!! However, it was a question I posed in my last tangling post, about how some squares are filled right up but others are not... back soon with an effort!!
    Frankie - Dragon
    xx
    http://dragon-dragonsweb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for challenges....because it is hard but it pushes the envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On that second tangle it looks like your loops hover over the tile. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whispering Mahalo for this challenge. I too want to fill up spaces but the real challenge for me is not to use black space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was hard. I ended up with 5 different ATCs with lots of space. They are still begging me to fill them up. Must fight the urge and pack for Whitinsville!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot-woot! I have taken on the challenge for the first time! Hard not to fill up every space, but I like the way mine turned out. Can't wait to try these every week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Laura, sometimes it is very hard to know when to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Laura, I think this is a very useful challenge.. ;-) Have a look on my blog for explanation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun challenge and, as always, a way to stretch my creative self! Really like your little hanging jewels in the first tile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! This is my second attempt at a tangle. Your site is inspiring and I enjoyed this process--hope to learn patience through the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would absolutely love to be able to fill every possible corner of a tile!!! It is very difficult for me to remember all the tangles and then use them in an integrated manner the way many of you do. So, we all have our little 'problems' ;-0

    Thanks to all for sharing your beautiful work, and for visiting my blog - this is a wonderful community!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one was fun - hope you enjoy "My Happy Little Accident".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did two this week. I couldn't help exploring it more. Also, I kept thinking about Dave Matthews Band's song The space between while drawing. Do you know this song? Here is the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H67uEgRZs2Y

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just gave you an award! Love your blog! Hopefully one day I get the guts to post my tiles.
    http://vallynsreview.blogspot.com/2011/02/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Posted my link.. so hard to leave it open...so so happy with it.. but it's been a tangly kinda week..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here you go - it's really hard to believe that it is week 10 already.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Laura, this was a CHALLENGE for me. I learned quite a bit and will have to practice some more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you very much for another challenge reminding me of a facet of what ZEN means. Enjoying this pauses that give room to the unexpected to come into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm working on my Weekly Challenge No. 10 now as we speak. Love these challenges and seeing what everyone has done or doing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this challenge is great. It really boosts my creativity. I really got lyric as i saw a portal in my drawing ,a gateway to the Zen way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank You this is so much fun. The space Between is now The Space Betweed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for your warm welcoming comment last week. Such a challenging challenge this week space scary stuff LOL XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Laura! I reposted in the right place . . . I think! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. really enjoyed this one, but coudn't eave the space totally empty even now!!!!! was too tempting

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just found this site and think it is so awesome! I have been drawing Zentangles since I can remember, I didn't know there was a name for it. I am entering this one and I will have to catch up and do the circles and the hearts, two of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great way to get the creative juices challenged. I really enjoy doing ZIA (think that means - Zentangled Inspired Art) but I rarely do a traditional tile. But I did it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was a fun challenge. I made a zentangle inspired by the Assisi embroidery style.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fun! I liked this challenge probably because I like white space. Thanks for all your hard work with hosting these challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just finished my Challenge and posted it. I also posted other new drawing I completed.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the challenge...this is my first time joining in, though I've been lurking for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. "Open space" is what scrapbookers often refer to. Give the eye a place to rest. I like my ZenT, but I cheated a little, forcibly leaving spaces open. Kinda. I did this in my Challenge #9 and have done it here. I plan to do it again and more often, deliberately leaving holes I cannot just fade away into. It's always worth the reminder to Be Open.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi together :-)....can somebody tells me please, where I can find the zentangle made by "Ema K" (Nr. 36)...am I too duffy? I can see jewelry only...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey Devona,
    i've left a note on EmaK's blog saying that i was looking for her entry.

    unfortunately - Sometimes people will post their blogs to just to get traffic from the challenge visitors, but most times they will add their blog links at the beginning of the week then post their challenge later.

    I will wait until the end of the week before removing the link, if there's no ZT posted.

    laura

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Laura,

    thank you for your information. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi all... I'm late for this one, just posted my tile. Another fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Laura, another fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks so much for the challenges, Laura. I really look forward to them everyweek.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hope I can make the challenge each time you have one, but I cannot promis that. I do not hope that is a problem. I wil do my utmost!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I liked this one too much and ended up doing a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  40. As usual, the diversity of tangles is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I had a time doing one that pleased me, but I finally chose one to enter. I called mine "Looking Thru the Tangle" I started to draw a huge window and decided not to.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This was great! I want to explore this some more. Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I see that the slideshow is up already. Guess that means that I'm late. :( Oh well, I posted my submission anyway. I'll enjoy looking at all the others! :))

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm late, folks, but I'm still here and hey, I have the best excuse ever - I was in Whitinsville, becoming a CZT! *G*

    ReplyDelete
  45. Leslie-Rahye is LATE this Challenge...but it's all good. I've put it with my Challenge #11. I hope you enjoy The Space Between! I certainly enjoyed tangling it!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This one was a real challenge for me. Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Another fun one! I made it into a picture frame.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Mine is finally done... I chose patterns with white spaces between. :) Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  49. This was a REAL challenge - white space is such a weak spot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I struggle with white space so this was good for me!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!