About Me

My Photo
The Diva tries her hand at wifedom and motherhood and dabbles in artsy things. She is a Certified Zentangle Teacher.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Weekly Challenge #11

First of all - a few house keeping items:

  • if you haven't seen the slideshow for Week #10 - you can see it here 
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

Wow, how the time has flown by!  With ten challenges under our belt - i wanted to take this opportunity to talk a little bit about why i do these challenges.  Together we've created a place where like minded people are able to meet and share our work, and gain inspiration and learn new things - to expand our Zentangly horizons and stretch our limits... to get out of our comfort zones and realize that we are capable of what we thought incapable.

How many weeks have i not only read the words, but said the words myself: "i really struggled with this challenge", or how about "i didn't like it at first, but i kept going and by the end, i really loved what i had created".   By moving forward, we are embracing the Zentangle tag line: "You Can Do Anything, One Stroke at a Time"™

Something that is troubling to me, though, that i want to address is that this platform is in no way meant to cause stress, or feeling of judgment.  Please don't feel any obligation, like you HAVE to do each challenge each week.  If you are busy and feel like you are falling behind, don't stress!  Take a deep breath, smile, breathe, relax.  If you are up to it - jump in at the next challenge.  Work backwards from there if you like, or don't.  What i'm saying is, i don't want you to feel burdened by this in any way.

Also, i've had a few emails from people hoping that i will find their tile 'good enough' to be on the slideshow.  This is not a place for judgment, as i've said - and i would never deem myself in a position of any kind of authority to pass any kind of judgment.  I find each and every tile/piece beautiful.  Also, each challenge is open to interpretation.  There's no rule book, the Weekly Challenge Police are not going to come and bang down your door.

I guess, what i'm trying to say in a round about way - is that this is a place to come and feel good.  Feel the love, baby.   That's what it's all about.  Don't stress the small stuff... and it's all small stuff - hm, that'd make a great book, ha!

Okay, [steps off of soapbox] pep-talk over!

Let's get to the Challenge!

Week Eleven's Challenge: "Monotangle"

Create a tile or Zentangle inspired piece using only ONE tangle!  i've created two to show you...


Using the tangle "Facets" created by Nancy Pinke, CZT instructions for this tangle can be found in the ZT Newsletter, here

In the above tile, this is an example of the 'official' Zentangle method of: Dots, Border, String - then filling each section of the tile with the same tangle in different sizes and different tangleations.

Using the official ZT tangle "Ibex"

In this tile, i just started in the middle of the tile and filled it until i was satisfied, no border, no string - just good ol' tangling.

What will you create within the elegance of limitation* of only one tangle?  And while we're on the topic of limitation - i'm going to have to cap the amount of entries to 4 per challenge.  This doesn't mean that you can only post 4 entries - no no noooo, it just means that i will only download 4 entries for the slideshow, of which i will download the first 4 presented to the challenge.  i hope that makes sense, somewhat.

*the 'elegance of limitations' phrase was coined by Rick Roberts co-founder of Zentangle®, i wish i could turn a phrase like that.


If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

    60 comments:

    1. But there are only Over 700 to choose from! [LOL] This is a bit like eating chocolate for breakfast. Except it's tangly deliciousness... and 1 AM is a wee bit early for breakfast, so there's that too. [grin]

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hot dog---I LOVE this one! Can't wait to get started.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love your introducing words. That's what I felt from the beginning: it is about doing it and just taking part. If you're not sure about your tile - you never know what others see in it and what stimuation it is for them.
      Thank you for this opportunity!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love your blog and the idea behind it. Every tangle that I have seen posted is so unique, and so full of ideas that we can build upon. I like the challenge for this week. While I don't know if I will post any designs, I know that I am going to make several for myself. I find "Tangling" a good way to use my imagination and a great way to build confidence in my drawing abilities, and seeing the work that others do just increases my desire to spend more time on my own work. Thank you to all of you who are taking part, and inspiring the rest of us.

      ReplyDelete
    5. The words at the beginning ring so true, from the sites I've visited and my personal experiences. I hear this a lot from perfectionists in scrapbooking who would sooner rip apart a layout than live with less-than-ideal results. Yet that is the Z approach: relax, have fun, live and learn with mistakes.

      I am having fun with these challenges as it challenges me; however I am a bit confused about the wording of capping issue above. Do you mean that each slideshow from this point on will have only the 1st four submissions? I enjoy seeing all the challenge results in one place. Inspirational! I would hate to see that go away as some weeks I do not have time to visit every blogsite.

      ReplyDelete
    6. woops! sorry, no i should clarify. Some people submit several images to the challenge - i've placed a limit on images i will download from each participant to 4 only.

      ReplyDelete
    7. This should be a fun one. I just did a draw sketch of what I want to do with this Challenge.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Larua that is SO cool! :) I am so sorry I'm delinquent on last weeks challenge...I will post it in my blog with this one...do you want me to add the same link in BOTH places?? Does it even matter??

      ReplyDelete
    9. Another wonderful challenge. I usually have tons of different tangles, so this one was hard for me!

      ReplyDelete
    10. I just added myself to your tangle challenge...it's my first attempt....ugghhh...not very creative, but I am already addicted!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Thank you for clarifying my "capping" question. *deep exhale of relief* Sometimes you just need that inspiration, much as it seems to have affected my latest entry into this challenge (to be posted soon).

      ReplyDelete
    12. Love the idea!!! i am a new "Zentangler" altho I have been a "doodler" all my life, so am very excited to get into "Z"ing!!!!!! Thanks for the site and the challenges...so inspiring!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Thanks Laura I have just made a BeeLine to a tile and pen!!

      ReplyDelete
    14. I'm lucky #9 again. Woo-hoo! This challenge is so interesting. I knew what I wanted to draw. I was so excited. And then I was so bored with it. I had to stretch my mind to redefine my expectations (and definition) of Hollibaugh. I can't wait to try it again with other patterns.

      ReplyDelete
    15. My 3rd monotangle was the best up to now. Don't think I will stop already though. I love this challenge :)

      ReplyDelete
    16. Laura, great challenge!!! I used a tanglepattern, but don't know if it has an official name..
      Claudia

      ReplyDelete
    17. Loved this one. I so seldom do just one tangle. So relaxing and fun though :)

      ReplyDelete
    18. I'm very happy to have monotangles as the theme. I've been thinking of doing a design with only one pattern but was a bit intimidated by it. You gave me a good excuse to try this. I see I need to get better at writing down the names of the tangles I find though.

      ReplyDelete
    19. to the diva:
      thank you for all the effort you make to keep the challenge going; I do understand you have to limit the number of entrances for the slideshow. I made three this time; feel free to choose one for the slide show ; i am already happy with the link to my blog.
      Congratulations to all ,your tangles are great but it is nearly impossible to react to all.

      ReplyDelete
    20. Challenge met! Blog to bed (and me). Goodnight all, and see you next week. (Apols in advance for lack of comments this week from me - taking time out to meditate.) *hugs* and thanks, Laura! xoxo

      ReplyDelete
    21. This was a great challenge - Comments on my blog about not being able to keep up with all the reading/commenting seems to be a mini-theme this week - we care about each other... we are just living life to the fullest, which doesn't always mean being shackled to the computer!

      ReplyDelete
    22. Great Challenge, I've been wanting to try this for some time, and you have given me the push I needed. Amazing response so far!

      ReplyDelete
    23. This is my first monotamgle. Thank you for everything.

      ReplyDelete
    24. I just noticed that your time is two hours ahead of my time.coooool!!

      ReplyDelete
    25. I love your new background!

      ReplyDelete
    26. I loved this challenge. I think I may just do all my zentangles this week as monotangles!

      ReplyDelete
    27. This was the first time I tried using only one tangle. Fun Challenge. Thank You, Laura!

      ReplyDelete
    28. Whispering Aloha to your challenges Laura ~ They really make me stretch beyond my comfort zone at times.

      ReplyDelete
    29. Thanks Laura.....the tangles are so wonderful this week. (and every week) Not an easy challenge but a very fun one. We appreciate all you do to make this possible for us. I am sorry if I caused you to limit.....but that is good!

      ReplyDelete
    30. I definitely have a major celebration mind bent going - even your challenge had to bow before it! Heheheee. Hey, how about an updated Chewie and Artoo pic so we can see the littlest guy is in good health?

      ReplyDelete
    31. Hi Laura, I'm a newbie to your challenge, starting this week. I hope to find the time to join in every week from now on. I've posted my link and am now off to check out all the other links. Thanks! Zoe (UK)

      ReplyDelete
    32. Wow. Did not like anything I attempted. I think I can be really close-minded about how something ought to look.

      What a great list!

      ReplyDelete
    33. I love the new background.. too cool.. posted my tangles for this week.. this was so much fun.. I know actual tangles now..lol
      have a great day!

      ReplyDelete
    34. Thanks for all your hard work, this is tons of fun, and it makes me take time for myself every day to tangle.

      ReplyDelete
    35. I loved this weeks challenge! I really gave me a chance to explore a tangle that I am just getting to know: Bales.

      ReplyDelete
    36. I posted 3 Challenges using the Knightsbridge on the first one, Paradox on the 2nd one and Bucky Tangle on my 3rd Weekly Challenge.

      These challenges are fun, Laura. We appreciate you coming up with your great ideas. These help keep us out of the "Designer's Block" which we sometimes get. Keep up the good work!

      ReplyDelete
    37. This is something I've been wanting to try for a while. What fun! I think I may do a few more!

      ReplyDelete
    38. Glad I could finally do a challenge...stupid job gets in the way of my tangling ha ha! I love looking at everyone else's work

      ReplyDelete
    39. Thanks for another great challenge. Although I did cheat a little and used a tile I created a couple of weeks ago.

      ReplyDelete
    40. I never would have thought of this as a challenge. Great idea.

      ReplyDelete
    41. I'm with Genevieve: I think I'll do some more! When I have the time!!!

      Thanks! this was fun, and I'm still fighting that overthinking thing.

      ReplyDelete
    42. This week's challenge was real fun. As usual, there is plenty here to take your breath away.

      ReplyDelete
    43. Ooooohhhh I love those monotangles. Thank you for this challenge ;-) !

      ReplyDelete
    44. I just posted my Tangle for this week. Thanks for the Challenge

      ReplyDelete
    45. I have just uploaded the link for my first ever tangles for the Diva Challenge!

      Love the monotangle idea and, although there are two on my link, the heart would have to be my favourite of the two :)

      ReplyDelete
    46. Oh, and PS, the first link was completely wrong (in at position no. 2) - sorry, newbie to this blog linkey business. No. 56 is the true Diva 11th challenge link :)

      ReplyDelete
    47. you've explored beautifully the tangles...this is not v easy :).hugs ,ildi

      ReplyDelete
    48. This was a challenge because when I created coil I hadn't thought I could use it other than a string. I know better now! Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    49. Finally made it this has been a bad week

      ReplyDelete
    50. Great challenge this week! It is awesome that we have this small community and encourage each other. Just love that. Way to go everyone!!

      ReplyDelete
    51. Sorry I didn't get in here last week. I've included both weeks in my blog post. Hope that's ok. I love doing these challenges, but sometimes have a hard getting to the computer to post them.

      ReplyDelete
    52. Oops - tried to get it in under the wire for the slideshow - you're too quick for me. It's good to get back in the game.

      ReplyDelete
    53. better late than never!! Just linked my zentangle tile for this week's challenge!
      ~Courtney Prudhomme

      ReplyDelete
    54. just posted a tangle that combines both this week's and last week's tangle! it's all the way at the bottom of the post, but it's -there-. :)

      ReplyDelete
    55. Thanks for having these challenges; got me out of my being blocked. Big hug for you Diva!

      ReplyDelete
    56. This is a wonderful Challenge this week!. Sometimes a little direction is just what the doctor ordered and your Challenges fit that spot every week. Thanks for giving us a reason to hang out together!

      ReplyDelete
    57. Divine Diva! Glad to be posting in response to this challenge and also glad to see the two little buddies!

      ReplyDelete
    58. I had no idea one tangle could look so different when changed just a little bit.

      ReplyDelete

    tangle me some zen, baby!!