Monday, March 21, 2011

Weekly Challenge #14

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials" (<--more to come)
  • if you haven't seen the slideshow for Week #13 - you can see it here
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Did everyone get a chance to see that moon this weekend?? Amazing.  I tried to take a picture from my deck... but the real deal was far more magnificent.

pretty
It's been a long day - we're trying to see if we can't get Artoo on a sleep schedule that includes sleeping through the night... We are getting there, i think we need to do some moving things around a bit, but we are getting there.

Most adorable baby

This means, however, that i've been awake since 5 am today - to feed a very hungry baby.  Chewie got up shortly after and we were off! In full swing ever since, until Chewie was tucked away for bedtime.  (in case you're wondering, i write these posts on Sunday night and then post them Monday morning)... in an effort to preserve sanity, we will just jump straight into it.

What's on the docket for this week?

This week, we're going linear.

Challenge #14: "I Walk The Line"

In this week's challenge - create a tile or Zentangle® inspired piece using ONLY STRAIGHT LINES.

I started with dots, border, string - like i normally do, but i had to make a conscious effort to create my string using only straight lines.

Walkin' the Line


The tangles were tricky, because i'm drawn to the curvy lines - the circles, the curlicues...

so.

Instead of only doing gridbased tangles, i tried to do a few of the curvier tangles that i normally do, but to do them with straight lines - like Flux in the bottom left corner, or Drupe on the right, or Crescent Moon (above Flux).  These three are tangles i use regularly, but in Tangleation form.

tan-gle-a-tion  (tan-gəl-shən)  noun 
1. A noticeable variation of an existing tangle.

I will definitely take a crack at this one again sometime. 
What will you create this week?

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

54 comments:

  1. I love your tangle.....it has an amazing beauty with straight lines but the character of curves, very beautiful Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sure! Make it easy, why don't you? LOL - I, too, love my curves (in a respects! *G*) and this will definitely be a challenge in the clearest sense of the word! Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good challenge to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool one! I'll find the time to do this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the latest photo of 'lil Artoo. This is such a cute picture of him.

    This Challenge No. 14 sounds like it's going to be fun. some of my past zentangles are mostly strait lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How ridiculously serendipitous could this challenge be - I just realized that my most recent post actually fits the bill! *G*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whispering Aloha ~ straight from my heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. No wine tonight! I have kept my spiral as straight as possible..fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one ! Loving your challenges Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one was a real challenge for me ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought this one was going to be real easy, there are so many tangles that use only straight lines, but... I had to fight myself from wanting to bring in some curves from time to time. Lots of good entries thus far, and I'm excited about seeing some more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh heck no nice curvy swirly bits. Had to check out lots of patterns to get into the spirit but got there, think it looks a bit like a cityscape. Thanks for these challenges such a fab group of players and inspiring designs. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  13. these challenges are so cool, I love straight lines and everything I've seen is spectacular. Thanks for the opportunity to share in this neat experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Because your mine...I walk the line. Sorry, couldn't resist. A lot of your challenges make songs run through my head-LOL! Another good one, thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually might have time to participate - yea! Love your tile Laura, especially how you turned the curvy tangles into straight ones - terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thought I'd give this challenge a second try, really embracing the straight line. I relaxed and enjoyed this second attempt even more than the first. This was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great challenge. I will try to get in on this one...but it is spring here and if I don't get ahead of the weeds...they get impossibly tangled...sorry I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful idea!
    And you did such a great job with yours… The shading is awesome – it makes me think of looking through a window. The upper part looks like a curtain ;-) .

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was my first time to dive in head-first into the weekly challenge. I am a newbie to Zentangle. Thank you for the challenge...it is a great way to push us all to grow and try new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting challenge. It took me longer to think about it and get started than it did to do it. Thanks for these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Laura for another fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Every week I think I'm going to get this done on Mondays and here it is Wed. wow! I really enjoy the challenges and appreciate all the thought you put into coming up with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. An interesting challenge! I should do another one and push myself farther in it. I really like some of the work by other participants who have pushed the limits, but I don't know if I will. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this was so much fun! i might do more then one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I couldn't hide my crooked lines AUGH! :P

    ReplyDelete
  26. challenge 13 was no fun it toke a long time to compleet it. Challenge 14 was much better.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok, my first attempt is up. I feel like a cheat though....I chose to use patches of Paradox so, although I DID only use straight lines (as per the challenge outline)....it's resulted in curves :P
    This was a hard one as I do very much love curves!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the depth in your zentangle - just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I thought this would be an easy one for my first challenge--wrong! Thanks for making my brain work in overdrive :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love it Love it Love it - not that anyone would notice lol - straight lines tend to dominate my zentangles. I like curvy lines but I use them more as embellishments - didn't realize how often I do since a couple times a circle crept in during the first attempts! Diva - was it on purpose that you chose straight lines - considering that last weeks non-dom hand challenge - many many straight lines were curvy, bumpy and wavy????

    ReplyDelete
  31. This week was a little easier, although the lines aren't always straight - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  32. This was just the challenge I needed to jump in again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've noticed my hand shakes an awful lot, but I enjoy the straight line attempts. so I did another one today.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great blog post, Laura. That baby is too cute! And WC #14 was not as easy as I thought it would be. But, as always, lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Another great challenge. I used five tangles that are usually drawn with curves and drew them with straight lines: Strircles, Betweed, Amaze, Pokeroot, and Artoo.

    ReplyDelete
  36. 2 more up from me now and that's it for me for this challenge although I will try to give Versa a test run in the next couple of days :) Paradox crept in again....what can I say, I just love the effect that creates. But then I decided to go fly a straight line kite :P

    ReplyDelete
  37. A challenge is all very well, but this is where I draw the line!
    Actually... this just keeps getting better & better! (Sorry for breaking the rules ever so slightly in my second tile, Laura!)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You do come up with the most interesting challenges!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I learn so much about myself through these challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This took more conscious effort then I thought it would, and also took longer than my usual filled with curli-ques kinds of tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I did two of them this week, entering into the challenges late :D These are great fun

    ReplyDelete
  42. I liked this one.. was fun.. I started off with mostly straight lines..lol.. love yours with the curves straightened...

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just posted my 14th Challenge. This was fun. I started on this on Tuesday and tonight I just added the finishing touches.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Laura. I just love this latest photo of Artoo. He is adorable. What was he looking at?

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great challenge, great entries and I always love the personal touch that you add Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  46. i did two! i hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This was challenging for me. I was so used to drawing shattuck that I started to draw arcs, then had to "fix" it. Thank you for the challenge once again. I also have finally posted all of my other challenges in my Flickr account if anyone feels like perusing. Now, off to start a Versa piece. I don't think I'll make the midnight deadline with that one! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'll try Versa soon! This was another good one. You're so creative, just coming up with these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Tougher than I thought! Keep up the challenges! Wish I had had time for the midweek. I realize after choosing my tangle and viewing yours again that you can achieve "curved" shapes with straight lines and that is what finally worked better for me. Your tangle is great!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I loved this challenge-- it gave me the opportunity to learn some new tange patterns. I took my inspiration from the architecture of Frank Gehry. Unfortunately, I'm too close to deadline to get a great scan of my work uploaded. I'll upload a better image on my bog when I've triumphed over my dying equipment!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oops! I had to do this one twice because the first time, I got so into drawing that I forgot I couldn't use curved lines...

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!