Monday, March 28, 2011

Weekly Challenge #15

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials" (<--more to come)
  • if you haven't seen the slideshow for Week #14 - you can see it here
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

As i type this on Sunday afternoon, one of my best friends is getting ready to have a baby in her home... and i'm getting ready to go over to be at the birth. It's pretty crazy, and pretty exciting.

So, it will be a quick post today.

Many people deal with issues of imbalance or asymmetry in their lives, which can cause stress or pain in various levels in our bodies.  CZT Sandy Bartholomew  has very articulately coined the phrase, "Yoga For the Brain", and the more i practice Zentangle and the more i practice Yoga - i really find this to be true. 

Yoga is very calming and can bring a feeling of inner peace, but it can also be challenging and physically strenuous.  Zentangle can have the same effects... as we've seen through some of these challenges.

In Yoga, when you are doing a series of poses, it's always important to do each sequence on both sides of the body, to keep it in balance.

So, as in yoga, we will strive to find balance by countering last week's Straight Lines with curves.

Challenge #15: Love your Curves, Baby.

I realize that not all of the participants are ladies, but men, you can appreciate a good curve, can't you?

Click to Enlarge

This week you are challenged to use only curved lines.  A curved string paired with curved tangles and curved lines... explore how this challenge makes you feel after last weeks angles and straight lines.

Good luck!
I'm off to the birthing pool!

**UPDATE**
My bestie gave birth to an absolutely gorgeous little girl last night.  She was amazing, and beautiful, and full of magic.  One of the most amazing experiences in my life to attend a water birth and to hold her hand while she and her fabulous husband brought their little daughter into the world.  I am TRULY in awe.

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

55 comments:

  1. I think of most of my work as curves, but I'll probably find out differently on this one. But I'll love this challenge. I do love my curves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had to write that I am a birth assistant and childbirth educator here in the States and it is always amazing and an honor to witness women birthing and to see a new life enter the world. Welcome to your friend's baby girl and may she have a wonderful and peaceful babymoon.
    And, I am looking forward to some curves. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the birth!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and amazing process you have undertaken. I hope all went well at the birthing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, Congratulate your friend as a new Mom (although I don't know her). Your two boys could have a "Play Sister" and she can have two "Play Brothers". That's what we called close friends since I was a small child.

    The "Love your Curves, Baby" is going to be just as much fun as the last one, "I walk the Line".

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having at least my fair share [of curves] to love, I had to laugh about the title you gave this week's challenge ;-0

    Mostly though, I thought about the cycle/circle of life and the amazing birth you witnessed. Best to mother and baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to your friend. The miracle of birth is the best experience in life. Home birth is joyful. I am glad you were able to be there. The curves.....I am loving the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I might have trouble because I'm really into the straight lines at the moment. But squirkling saved the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had fun ~ but was not too sure that I liked my results ~ I just kept going ~ until I felt done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely tangle and another fun challenge Laura. Congrats on your birthing experience it does sound miraculous, what a wonderful gift to be able to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I truly do love curves! Is that the 'Circle of Life' there in your tile?
    What a treat for you to have such a magical experience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy for your "bestie" and her family.
    I am sitting this one out as I have the last few challenges. But I am keeping track and visiting everyone's posts. I just don't have time to draw and post right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great challenge and I always love it the way you personalize it Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too tired to put my link in last night, sweetie, but it's up here now! What a super-fun challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used the same idea for this challenge as an ATC I made a few weeks ago. The shape was perfect for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are lots of curves you can tangle. This was a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The circle of Life and even death is just part of the circle of Life. Thanks I am enjoying the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the curved ones. I had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW your example this week is even more awesome than usual. Happily doodled two without a straight line in sight. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  21. cool curves, Laura (as in your tile and this challenge) :D Was able to squeeze in some time now I've settled into uni a bit...sorry I missed the straight line challenge...I like straight lines :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry - newb here - corrected to site specific.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE all your work and I'm so happy you do what you do! You are an inspiration and I look forward seeing what happens next. I loved this challenge because I love curvey, swirley lines. Last week's challenge made me a little nervous. This week I enjoyed! Thank you again for who you are and what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yea - I finally had time to participate and it's a curvy challenge. My favorite - thank you Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Turned my curves mostly into circles... LOL
    Great challenge! Thank you Laura

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you Laura for yet another great challenge. It would seem we are all more comfortable with curves. It is just more natural.. you don't see many straight lines in nature. It is exciting seeing this challenge grow and seeing new people being drawn into the world of zentangle.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was a fun challenge! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful experience you must have had - congratulations on the new baby.
    Thank you for the nice challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats to the new parents, it must have been awesome !! This is my second tangle ever..... so be gentle with me! I hope coloured in ones are allowed ? Thankyou for this challenge !!
    love and hugs
    chris richards
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love watching how these things take shape as you're drawing them. And these challenges are a great way to explore zentangling :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. not sure why I procrastinated on this one, perhaps because curves make me nervous....my hand is shaky and it shows worse when I do curves (can't use a straight edge!!) but I made the attempt and will try another one with color later. Everyone has done so great on these (I looked at many before I did mine....I think that's what intimidated me!!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. My challenge tile was inspired by the Hot Air Balloon Museum in Albuquerque, NM. I am planning on celebrating my 50th wedding anniversary in one of those in a couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Considering it was all curvy it was a very fun challenge. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  34. Life is always curvier than straight for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. Really enjoyed this one, Laura, thankyou. Congrats on the arrival of your friend's bubba - I have been to the birth of two of my sister's babies and it is such a magical experience (as well as being at the birth of my own wee lad, of course :))

    ReplyDelete
  36. Finally got my internet connection to work for long enough to upload my blog post (arrrrrrrgh)! More philosophical musings (of course), together with my challenge entry.

    I'll catch up with everyone's entries when my internet is back up and running!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love working with curves but as I look at some of my tangles I realize that there are straight lines leading into the curves. I guess it wasn't as easy as I thought but it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like to draw curves and I love curves ,in zentangle®. My own curves, sometimes i like them, sometimes I don’t.It are the kind of the curves that showup in one of my tiles.
    Thanks Laura it was fun.I am already curious what the next will be.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Curves and ink are my themes this week. So good-- yeah this challenge definitely was yoga of the mind for me.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just posted two challenges. This was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your tile, Laura! Thanks for another fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for a fun and easy challenge this week Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I like curves so much .... I've done another !

    ReplyDelete
  44. This was a fun challenge, I realized that I tend to use alot of curved tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Normally I love wavy lines and circles, but after last week's challenge I've been all about the straight lines! What a twist! I didn't get a chance to blog about this yet, but hopefully I will tomorrow. I'm also going to try again tonight too!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Laura!
    My name is Linda, and i just joined your challenge. I'm very new to this, but it was fun to do. Thank you!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  47. Finally got my tangle posted.. haven't had internet all week.. think mine could have been curvier but... found lines sneaking in everywhere..lol thanks for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow!! we have quite a crowd here now. This challenge was just that... a challenge. But these are great for exercising those creative muscles. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for the challenge, this was my first ever Zentangle. Absolutely LOVING this. It definitely caters to my sense of design and art :].

    ReplyDelete
  50. truly a fun challenge, I had another go at it. Everyone does such an excellent job with these, they are fun to see and great inspiration for utilizing more design elements. thank you all for sharing yourselves this way.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I suspect my design is not original, but oh, well. I did not copy anyone intentionally.
    This was fun, I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!