Thursday, April 7, 2011

Half-Assed Tutorial: how to create a link within your blog (Or anchor text)

So this is actually quite simple, when using blogger.  I think most blogging platforms have a similar functioning button as well, but i'm not 100% sure.  As always, i am giving directions for blogger/blogspot platform.

So you wanna direct someone from your blog post to another place on the interwebz? This is simple. 
First, take a look at your post window.

Click to enlarge
it looks like this...

Next, in your post window - type out the word that you want to use as your "Anchor Text" (these are the words that will become your link) and then highlight the text with your mouse.

Example:

click to enlarge

Once your text is highligted, use your mouse and find the "Link" button in your editor.  Sometimes this also looks like a Chain link, or will say HyperLink.  in Blogger, it looks like this:
click to enlarge

see?

when you click on that button, a popup will appear that looks like this: 

click to enlarge

The text that you've highlighted will already appear in the first box.  All you have to do is then enter in the URL to the place you want people to go when they click on the link.

Et voila!  you've just created a link or anchor text within your blog post! 


Check out the Weekly Challenges!!

8 comments:

  1. Have I mentioned lately that I love you? *G*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it sound simple! Can this be true? I'll give it a go. Thanks Laura for your Tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the easiest way to get the URL that I want to link to is:
    1) open another window and go to my link;
    2) highlight the ENTIRE page address at the top of the browser window;
    3) copy it;
    4) go back to my blog post window and paste the copied page address into the "To what URL should this link go?" slot.
    Sometimes I like to double check and I do the "check this link" thing.
    Bonne chance!
    --Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. margaret, agreed. that's what i do too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific tutorial! thanks Laura. I also do the copy/paste thing: no risk of my fumbling fingers messing things up ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the master!!! Thanks so much...I was wondering how to get links and now I know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Stuff - one of the very important basic things bloggers should know! Makes you feel enlightened after creating your first link.

    Also, I often check the layout of my blog with the preview window.

    Make sure to test your links to make sure they work. If not, go back in and edit them (Copy and Paste are SO useful!).

    Thanks for showing everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thanks. You're a genius!!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!