Monday, April 4, 2011

Weekly Challenge #16

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials" (<--more to come)
  • if you haven't seen the slideshow for Week #15 - you can see it here
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • Due to an AMAZING TURN OUT each and every week - i'm going to have to cap the amount of entries PER PERSON to 4 per challenge.  (This doesn't mean that you can only post 4 entries - no no noooo, it just means that i will only download 4 entries for the slideshow, of which i will download the first 4 presented to the challenge.  i hope that makes sense, somewhat.)
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

So, i was merrily going along - preparing this week's challenge - getting my tile done and drafting up the challenge post when something WONDERFUL happened!!  Rick & Maria posted a brand spankin' new official Zentangle® tangle!  So of course everything ground to a halt and i raised my hands in the air and shouted:

STOP THE PRESSES!!

;)


Weekly Challenge #16: MOOKA!

Of course, this week's challenge is to try this baby out!

Create a traditional Zentangle tile or ZIA (Zentangle Inspired Art) using the new official tangle: Mooka

You can see directions on the Zentangle Blog or you can take a gander at this fabulous youtube video...



Let me tell you why i love a new tangle for a weekly challenge, aside from the fact that it makes my job easier.

This is the perfect opportunity to try out something new.  But not only that!

When all the pieces are collected in the slideshow at the end of the week you can really see how each individual person puts their own spin on the tangle, which in turn inspires your own interpretation of the tangle!! it's evolution, happening at the tip of your pen!  exciting, isn't it?

Click to Enlarge

i have to admit that i have admired the artwork of Alphonse Mucha (the inspiration for this lovely tangle), shyly, from the walls of the dance hall - not knowing his name but loving his work.

Click to Enlarge

This tangle is so fun and fluid and just flows right out of the pen and fills space up fast - but with these beautiful delicate tendril-like pods.  Perfect as a Monotangle or as a part of a polytangled tile....Simple. Elegant. Zentangle.  No?

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(



:)

53 comments:

  1. Not sure what's going on with Blogger today, couldn't set it to post in the morning like i usually do - so all you night owls get an early shot! What the heck, it's Monday in 15 minutes here....

    peace out, time for sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura this will be a really magic week watching all the Mooka tiles appear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best challenge yet Laura! Such a pretty tangle. This weeks entries are going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laura, another wonderful challenge. Looking forward to all the Mookas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the new clock widget, Laura!! [grin]
    And now for some Mooka (sounds like it should be fattening!). =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the mooka sounds like a dance.....and in a way we do dance around the page.....so excited to see all the tangles this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The video helped and made this new pattern look so easy! Thanks for all the hard work you do every week to bring these Challenges to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a blast playing with Mooka past midnight last night....what a fun tangle....and easy flow. Rick and Maria are so talented to figure this one out. Thanks for the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. This a cute tangle design. I remembered this drawing method in some of those deco art, especially the women's hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is just not my week. We went to see the new great grand daughter for the first time on Saturday and I lost my bill fold with my driver's license and other important things.
    I drew a Mooka zentangle after watching the video. I think this might be my most favorite pattern. Now I wonder if I can put the zentangle on my blog as heading?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Is this fun or what? The new tangle gives me a wonderful sense of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was *totally* fun! I just loved playing with this tangle and can see so many possibilities.. (Sadelle)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura
    what a blast ....!! I've just finished my mooka
    tile and loved it !!! Cant post it till tomorrow, so i can get the best light !! It's 12.15 a.m. so i'm off to bed. Thanks for an awesome challenge...
    hugs
    chris richards
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great choice for the challenge. Love that Mooka.

    ReplyDelete
  15. had to do another while I had Mooka Mojo!! totally fun tangle to play with

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mooka much? I do! (There are seven photos in this blog entry, Laura... but I've emailed my four choices for this challenge directly through to you.) Fun, fun, fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this one and I look forward to all the other entries. Sorry for posting my UrL twice, the first one was wrong

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that Mooka! Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a gorgeous tangle. It's super!!! I'm playing with it, so perhaps another entry will follow. Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was a great challenge. I have a feeling that Mooka would have snuck into most of the entries even if it had not been part of the 'official' rules this week. Tee Hee

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was so much fun! I'm sure it's not the last time I used Mooka.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great challenge! Mooka has definitely become a new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Still trying to feel comfortable with this tangle. I do like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was a fun challenge, and a pleasure to work with this versatile new tangle! Bet I can't do just one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love dancing the Mooka, it's an absolutely wonderful Tango.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm really loving this new tangle. In my rendition for the challenge, I did a coloured Mooka floating above Hollibaugh.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I keep wanting to call it moola

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't been this excited about Zentangles in some time. This is FUN. The "pods" look more like leaves to me. It just may become a fave of mine...oh wait, it has already. I'm mailing out cards to friends, and I'm decorating the envelopes with well-placed Mookas. It's delicate and delightful and oh-so-quick. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had great fun with Mooka. But I do wish I could track it better for doing a more tangled variation. Once I get more than two overlapped, I just lose it. At least this practice is fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. two more for the road! this challenge is mookaliciously fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mucha Mooka is a great dance, y'all. I'm enjoying the interpretations. Go look at Alphonse Maria's art for inspiration. I want to come back and do some color with this tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am happy to let you know your challenge has captivated my pens!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just had to make another one!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was the most difficult challenge for me thus far. I'm not sure there was much 'zen' to it. But I'm glad I didn't give up. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for this challenge, dear!
    This pattern is as contagious as BETWEED, isn´t it??? MOOKA is such fun to draw – I´m off to tangle some more…

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi,my grandaughter who is five years old, wanted to join in the fun, so i've entered
    her mooka tangle also ! i'm teaching her to tangle and she loves it!!
    thankyou for this fun challenge...!!
    hugs
    chris richards
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks again for all you do!!! Can't wait for the next one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is a beautiful tangle, that really did give me fits this week. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Not sure if I did justice to the inspiration - Alphonse Mucha.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congratulations to all. The entries are all of great quality and a real encouragement for me to keep going in this art-form.For the first time i feel like i can achieve something beautiful.
    jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  41. I had to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've been doing alot of realistic drawing lately and this was a fun departure.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Got my Mooka on....oh yeah. Loving this tangle; really, really loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hoping this doesn't duplicate - looked as though the first comment wouldn't post - love the tangle, addicting as chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  45. can you please tell me who belatrix29 is? The work is lovely, and I am looking for more. Does she (?) have blog that is linked to?
    TY

    ReplyDelete
  46. Jo - Belatrix29 emails me her submissions. She does not have a blog or site that i know of, at least, she hasn't shared it with me. And i agree, her work is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Laura...missed the cutoff but wanted to share my Mooka Garden anyway! :)

    http://leslierahye.blogspot.com/2011/04/weekly-challenge-16-mooka.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. This challenge was easy at this point in time, because I actually used Mookas painted onto rocks as my Christmas giveaways at our family dinner. They were a hit!
    Check them out on my blog...
    http://kesouvenirs.blogspot.ca/2012/12/we-went-for-family-christmas-dinner.html
    Having said all that, I have doodled them several other times as well. I really like this tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I really like Mooka. Haven't worked with it very much before but now that I've watched Maria's video again, I want to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!