Monday, April 11, 2011

Weekly Challenge #17

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials" (<--more to come)
  • if you haven't seen the slideshow for Week #16 - you can see it here
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • Due to an AMAZING TURN OUT each and every week - i'm going to have to cap the amount of entries PER PERSON to 4 per challenge.  (This doesn't mean that you can only post 4 entries - no no noooo, it just means that i will only download 4 entries for the slideshow, of which i will download the first 4 presented to the challenge.  i hope that makes sense, somewhat.)
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

One of the obstacles we put in front of ourselves as creators (of art, literature, baking, crafts... what have you) is the ever elusive "Time".

We say things to ourselves like "I'll finish my novel when i have time" - or "if i had time, i'd learn to bake the perfect shortbread" or "If ONLY i had the time to devote to my watercolour".  What i've learned, especially being a new mom, is that if you don't make the time - it will fill itself.  With work, or laundry, or television, or checking your facebook account one more time. (That's my biggest time-suck!)

When Rick and Maria created Zentangle®, they designed it to be completed in 15-20 minutes.  Everyone has 15 minutes.  How many times have you watched a program on TV that you weren't even interested in watching, only because it was on?  Or, how many times have you checked your email today?

Fifteen minutes is really such a small amount of time over the course of any given day.

If you think of those Fifteen minutes as your gift to yourself, it can yield amazing results.  What can you do in fifteen minutes??  You could write a poem, or sketch the trees in the yard, you can do a Sun Salutation or enjoy a cup of coffee in the sun.  You could do a Zentangle.

Week 17 Challenge: 15 Minutes of Fame

The challenge this week is to do a Tile or Zentangle inspired piece within fifteen minutes.  Dots, Border, String, Tangles and Shading - all in fifteen minutes.  It's tricky!  I never actually realized how much time i spent 'thinking' before 'doing' when i create a tile.


click to enlarge

I admit, i started getting a little bit stressed out because first i made a really loopy string that gave me a lot of sections, and i started thinking "how am i ever going to fill all of these in fifteen minutes" - and i started to worry that my tile wouldn't be "done" in 15 minutes... then i thought: "So what if it isn't?  What does it matter?" I had to give my inner perfectionist a fifteen minutes coffee break just so i could focus on my tile.

The result was me falling back on my old reliable tangles, the one i do most frequently and the ones i often teach. i gave up the notion of a 'pretty' tile and just tangled. In fact i enjoyed the feeling of doing Keeko so much that i filled three spaces.  (Keeko is the pattern that looks similar to the basket weave, and it's the first tangle i ever did where i actually felt that zen-like state and felt calm) - in the end, it gave my tile the appearance of something floating over a woven mat.

Unexpected Results
Zentangle is an unusual approach to art because you have no idea what its result will be when you begin. Your creation is not restricted by your expectations. - from the Zentangle website

If you're an overthinker, simplify to save time. If you generally do a tile from start to finish in ten minutes, keep adding to your tile with embellishments or more in depth shading. As long as you use a full 15 minutes.

Every day has fifteen minutes just waiting for you...

So - get your supplies ready - find yourself an egg timer, or a stopwatch - set it to fifteen minutes, and get crrrrackin...

**Cookie raises a good point in the comments, a traditional Zentangle tile is 3.5" square - so you might want to limit yourself to this size if you tend to do a bigger piece each time.  

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

54 comments:

  1. Well, we should all get done quickly at least! Unless we do multiple versions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I went too simply....Laura yours looks like you spent much more than 15 minutes....I will try more complicated before the week is over! Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @LeeAnn, i promise you i only used 15 minutes... the timer scared the crap outta me when it went off.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is no fun for me. Constantly looking at the clock how much time is left and then there is no time to shadow. Maybe I must try some more and hide the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ilex - i agree, it was hard for me too... but try to think of it as an exercise, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I wasted some time looking back and forth at the timer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a toughy for me too.. I take way too long to make my Zentangles so it forced me to go for simpler tangles, work larger, and simpler strings... if not for the 15 min deadline I would have done more shading as well. Great exercise for forcing me out of my usual routine!

    Sadelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, I just wanted to let you know....I know you only spent 15 cuz you love challenges and such, ....but you did so much. I feel like I'm in kindergarten and you have a masters.....that is okay because that is about the truth of the matter! lol! Sorry the buzzer scared you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drawing a zentangle within 15 minutes has grown challenging for me, but it still sounds fun to try. Should I limit my size to the traditional 3-1/2" size tile or could I try it the size of my home made jounal of 6" x 6-1/2"?
    So many different tangles to choose from that takes longer than the more simpler ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't uploaded mine yet but....whooooaaa, yes, this WAS a challenge. I kept looking at the time too because I didn't have a timer handy and it's like the familiar tangles just dropped out of my head and I found myself sitting there thinking *in panic* 'what next, what NEEXT??' :P It forced me to not be so picky and neat as well. I've only done a couple of small tiles but will try this again, for sure, and then upload the results. Great challenge, Laura, in the true sense of the word :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah, the timer scared me too!!! good exercise, I suppose....but like others, the tangles just went out of my head...good thing Mooka was still there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did another one more relaxed didn't loke at the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pfff, help me....number 10 is complete false...i`m stressed out (since 15 minutes *gg*) ..can you delete, Laura?? It`s a link to an older challenge...i`m afoul...

    ReplyDelete
  14. No stopping to chat, the 15 minutes went so fast! Thanks Laura for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing what you can accomplish in just 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect timing on the challenge, as usual. Just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was surprised how fast the 15 minutes went. I have no idea how much time I usually spend but now I know its WAY more that 15 minutes. This was a fun Challenge. Thanks Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laura, thank you!! I´m stupid, sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laura, thanks for the reminder about respecting time within Zentangle... our own time... our student's time. I will definitely be conscious to offer students a few "tips" for allowing Zentangle to be done as a short, focused, meditative ceremony that anyone can fit into their day :-)... good stuff, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was too stressful for me. I like to take my time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with the ones who said this was STRESS, not Zen. It so totally went against how I think of Zentangle. I don't mind tangling for 15 minutes at a time. I usually take several days to do a Zentangle, just spending a few minutes at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my first time sharing here and it was enjoyable to make something smaller - I've been going a little overboard and making lots of large zentangles.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I try not to look at others' sites before completing mine, so I look forward to that tomorrow. Interesting how our comments indicate "stress" when Zentangle is supposed to be about "relax." (Mine, too; check out my blog post.) Too often I see gorgeous art and think, "I should be that good" and then overthink and over-detail the process. It's like I'm competing with myself.

    The timer was freeing. I enjoyed and didn't obsess. Me, I set the timer and never looked at it. Speaking of time, @MaryMasi - Interesting the word you use, respect. And respect of time. I am going to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fifteen minute tile (emailing it directly to you again, Laura, to save time for you)... four hours to write/compose/illustrate blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i just loved this challenge Laura! thank you !
    you did great this suuuper fun fame,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was fun.. amazing what you can do in 15 min.. another great challenge..thanks Laura!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. A very interesting and really challenging challenge *gg* – it took some time until I was able to cope with it.
    I had to switch from drawing against time to drawing with it… After remembering the very first challenge 'Simplicity' it was fun to play with this idea.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! This was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I broke down and did my "15 Minutes of Fame" in my Home Made 6" x 6-1/2" Journal for the extra challenge. I was careful which tangle pattern to use. If you use the more detailed tangle pattern, that adds more minutes. You still have to add shading.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A fun challenge! In doing so I thought of some ideas I might use for another zentangle.

    But. I felt like I was lacking a bit on the "zen" during this one!

    Still fun, thanks for the challenge :].

    ReplyDelete
  31. It is a fun challenge. though the quality of my drawing is perhaps not great i had fun doing this.
    thank you , Laura.You have a point ,thing one wants should be done right away.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You do not make this easy do you! 15 minutes!!! heck well gave it a go XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  33. You do really stick with the tried and true patterns in your head. Not too much filling in black either. That takes way too much time. Good challenge, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was really stressful for me. The timer went off and I had to leave the tile in a state of feeling unfinished. I didn't even have time to shade. I learned a lot about myself. Now I have to resist going back and fixing the tile until it feels right.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This one wasn't as relaxing for me, either. A good challenge, but not so good in the relaxation standpoint :D I do admit I planned out ahead of time which patterns I'd use, though not what would go where. That's also how I think on these half the time: pick patterns ahead of time or purposely before I start drawing the next pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have really missed ( being in) and missed ( not posting)the past challenges. The slide shows have been magnificent!. Everyone's artwork has been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I agree with most of the comments above, this one was stressful. The opposite of our normal relaxation process. Good exercise though! You are really coming up with some good challenges, Laura! Thanks again, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  38. Laura, feel free to use only my finished drawing. It was another interesting challenge. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who felt the time fly by. Yikes! I finally got smart on my last (4th) tile and had some nice IZ music on in the background. That Hawaiian music calmed me down some. I should've thought of that sooner.
    Thanks Laura, you did it again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This was my first time doing one of your challenges, and I loved it! You also got me started blogging again, so thanks for that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Laura....somehow my first link worked all week and then today it took you to the wrong post. I reposted this morning and you can delete the first. I am not sure why this happened. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is my second post...I don't know why my comment first time didn't show, but maybe a good thing!! I did a second 15 min. challenge and liked it much better...after all my whining, I think this is very good idea for me to challenge myself more often...I am usually so slow at anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I agree that if I tried to do your Zentangle, Laura, it would take me *way* more than 15 min... :) I went with a single pattern, less thinking. That darned thinking always slows me down...
    -Jane, CZT-V

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi
    I went for a single pattern also!
    Entered the challenge a bit late, had a very busy week...!!
    cant wait to see what the next challenge is ?
    hugs
    chris richards
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  45. This was a tough challenge week for me, tough to complete ONE in 15 minutes, but I started and finished many this week, only one fit into the time challenge. So, I got lot's of great tangle time out of this challenge. Will try to continue this process. It's definitely not as enjoyable for me when I constrain my time but it is a great exercise! Yikes, almost forgot to post, great job everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm late, I'm late for a very important date!! The time limit was difficult... thank you for all these challenges they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  47. As the name states, "Weekly Challenge" is meant to be just that: challenging. And you are definitely finding our edge! Thank you, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Better late than never! I finally got mine in!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Aaaaaccckk! I forgot to put my link here in time. Oh well, better late than never?
    --Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  50. I couldn't stop at 15 minutes, so each color/section was a 15-minute block.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!