Monday, April 18, 2011

Weekly Challenge #18

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies.  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • Due to an AMAZING TURN OUT each and every week - i'm going to have to cap the amount of entries PER PERSON to 4 per  challenge.  (This  doesn't mean that you can only post 4 entries - no no  noooo, it just  means that i will only download 4 entries for the  slideshow, of which i  will download the first 4 presented to the  challenge.  i hope that makes  sense, somewhat.)
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

Ooodelaly, it's been a hectic week at Casa Diva.  Artoo has been sick with a killer cold for over 10 days... just a lot of mucous and coughing, poor little dude.  Due to his cold, and the post nasal drip, it was difficult to breathe while sleeping on his back.  I spent a lot of very uncomfortable nights on the couch sleeping with him on my chest.  Well, *sleeping* is kind of a strong word.  Dozing was more like it.  And really, this wouldn't have been a problem if i didn't have to be up and functioning when the 2 year old gets up at 7 am.

Tired and cranky, was I.
Beautiful Blue Eyed Babe

Luckily, though, he seems to be on the mend.  It seems like this kid is CONSTANTLY sick.  sigh.  Such is the life of a preemie baby.  They get all the bugs and they get 'em hard.

ANYHOO - Next weekend is Easter and something i hope to do this week with Chewie (the 2 year old) is to decorate some eggs.  We tried it out last year, but he lost interest pretty fast and when i had my whole family over for Easter dinner we discovered that no one really likes hard boiled eggs except for me and B-rad.  Ah well, lesson learned.  But this year Chewie's a little bit older and a little more interested in crafty things.  atta' boy.

Weekly Challenge #18 - EGGZZZZellent

I don't know if you know this, but... eggs.... are beautiful for Zentangling.  Tricky, though, with all the curved surfaces.  So, i did my EGG on a Zentangle® tile.  (i'll try my hand at a REAL egg later this week, most likely)

But until then, here's my submission:

click to enlarge

Okay, so - eggs... they are hard to draw.  ;)  I mean, i suppose i could have found some kind of template to use, but i free handed it.  Cuz that's how i roll, and also - i'm lazy.

As i was working on my tile, my amazingly sexy husband had to keep reminding me: "It's about the process, not the product" - it's kinda frustrating when he throws my own words back at me. ah well, he's right though.  I was frustrated from the get-go.  I was saying things like: This looks terrible, my lines are all over the place, argh, i don't like it....

But - i kept at it.  I finished it.  I decided to give up the control of making it look 'pretty' and relaxed into the lines, and you know what? i really quite like it, and i'm very happy that i didn't junk it and start over, like i was tempted to.

So.  Eggs.  Quick, affordable, versatile, they help brain development, improve concentration and are convenient.  Just like Zentangle!  Coincidence? Maybe.  ;)   They also symbolize many things - new beginnings, possibilities, life...

image via basketsampler

NOT TO MENTION Pysanky - the art of Ukrainian Easter Eggs.   This whole artform just screams ZENTANGLE!!!  don't you think??  check this site out for some neat tangles and ideas

the fine print:

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

53 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea. I need to blow some eggs and try on a real shell. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I tangle on an uncooked egg with a Pigma Micron... can it still be eaten afterward? Or should I hard boil it first?? (Just wonderin')

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE doing eggs. It will be hard to only submit 4. I did Ukrainian eggs years ago. I'll have to pull my supplies out again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This challenge sounds like fun. I love the shape of an Egg. My Husband has an Umbrella Cockatoo and she just laid an egg. 2nd one this year. The first one broke when it fell to the bottom of her cage, but this last one was found in the blanket my Husband was cradling the bird in. When my Husband lifted his bird out of her blanket, he spotted the egg in the blanket and let me have it. Their eggs are 1/3 of the size of a Chicken Egg and all white.
    I have a Ukrainian Psanky Egg dye kit I bought a long time ago and I once took a workshop making them. The teacher have you use a raw egg. These are fun to do. I have a couple of Tjanting tools with bees wax you use to create the thin lines on your eggs. Tangling on eggs are dying to get done this week. I just purchased an easter egg kit that comes with colored tablets.

    Tangling inside a string the shape of an egg will look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never liked hard boiled eggs either, but one family I knew gathered the eggs, and made Deviled Eggs with them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hard boiled eggs, we eat them all the time!! But I don't like hunting for them....I just bought some plastic eggs at Michaels yesterday, will hide them for my dog to find...I think it will be fun for her!!!
    Years ago, I did an animated egg turning tutorial (in Paint Shop Pro). I wonder if this will link:
    http://animationlessons.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tuts&action=display&thread=211

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this challenge - I've been wanting to tangle an egg - I think this may be a mulitple entry week for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe I did an egg by mistake last week! This is a fun idea and I am looking forward to seeing eggsactly what happens. Sorry, couldn't help myself! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this challenge - I love EGGS! *G*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Laura, I'm also inspired to do some real eggs this week.
    Give your little love bugs kisses from all of us. What a sweet picture of little Artoo. Hope you get some real sleep this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Easter eggs, so I tangled 7 and tried 2 new patterns, Santo and Floatfest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a fun diversion! No real eggs to decorate here, that won't be eaten, anyway. But I often find myself putting egg shapes into my strings.. I think I'm drawn to the shape.

    Sadelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, that was fun! I made a tile using a little-known tangle called "Poke-Egg". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cheated and used a template for the outside shape of my egg. Otherwise I would have spent all week just on the shape, and not on the fun part. :)
    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had so much fun with this challenge! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi
    I drew my egg shape first, and was astounded at how the shape turned out ! I never thought i could draw an egg shape !! I'm sure that since i started tangling, my creative skills have vastly
    improved...!! thanks for the lovely challenges each week...!!
    hugs
    chris richards
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheers for a happy safe Easter to you and your boys (big and small)!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the idea of drawing on eggs - will have to try it on a real one next.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tangled a decorative egg I bought at Michael's some time ago. I had planned to tangle it but kept delaying. Thanks for giving me the kick I needed. I linked to a photo set on flickr so just pick one you like for the slide show.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just added my link to the linky thing! I found it surprisingly easy to draw an egg-shape - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this was really fun. Made me think of the time my children were little and i had to blow out eggs to decorate in school. I did my egg on paper ,tough tangling on a real egg seems a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Put the wrong link up the firs time, sorry folks. 2 eggy tangles up, one with egg shape template and one without....it won't take a detective to work out which is which :P I've also been inspired to tackle some real eggs. I drew a ZIA work on one and used an ink stamp on the other. They look quite pretty for a first attempt and will make nice Easter gifts for those in my family who are valiantly trying to avoid chocolate (goodluck with that! :P). Happy Easter all and Happy Easter to you and your boys, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, this is the first challenge I have done, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

    Happy Easter to you and your family.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  24. One lopsided egg for your viewing pleasure :-D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Raise you, four lopsided eggs @Julie. Check out my blogpost for making "real" photo eggs with DUMPR FLICKR Tools. So easy, so addicting. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fun, doing Easter Eggs, now we are all ready for this special holiday. I took a few short cuts on mine, but had fun creating my "twin Eggs". Happy Easter... don't forget to eat the bunny ears first!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This challenge inspired me to make Easter Cards for my great grandchildren. Then I worked on my entry. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Easter Rabbits and an Egg. I jave it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Long before this challenge was posted, I bought plastic colored Easter eggs to decorate. Zentangles on colors look coooooooool. Check them out! http://wp.me/pASgH-q3

    ReplyDelete
  30. My first challenge ...enjoyed tangling was fun
    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  31. My first challenge, too. It's an amazing idea to create easter-tangles. This one I done as a card for my parents. Hope, they like it - and you too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I couldn't stop myself! I've got 4 entered this time. Hope you don't get sick of me.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Loved this one.. can see more in the future... I love eggs!!! Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Easter to everyone!!
    This challenge was fun. Until now I never used a given 'form' to tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love you egg, Laura! Have a wonderful Easter with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I tried it on real egg shells. It came out alright.

    ReplyDelete
  37. That baby boy is so darn handsome, he will be strong through all he has endured. Sorry I have been out of the loop, got another focus for the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I had a slow start to doing the challenge, but once I started I could not stop. I even dreamed about doing eggs...real ones.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The eggs were so much fun. I ended up doing 3 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Okay, I finished one. I missed last week's - too busy. And I haven't been able to see or comment on work much for the last couple of weeks, maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy Easter to you and yours!! Thanks again for the fun challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. WOW what a lot of entries, going to have fun looking round to see what everyone has done. This was a brain teaser but fun. Thank you Laura always a fun challenge you give us. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  43. What is it about the egg shape that makes it so fun? I couldn't stop at just one either, though mine are all in one post.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ruby undoubtedly has around a dozen eggs to show off. She is so incredibly prolific! I hope I get to see them.

    In any case, I have managed to submit my entry in time this week. Yeay!
    On my blog, I included a couple of polymer clay eggs I had done, but You can just include the Zentangle drawing.

    PS I think you may have to restrict the pictures to no more than one or two per person. This is getting Very Popular (and rightly so)!

    ReplyDelete
  45. My very first challenge and very enjoyable it was too :D

    ReplyDelete
  46. Third time was the charm on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. OK, so I'm late again, but I finally got myself back here, and I'm GLAD to be back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I had a hard time drawing the egg itself but once I kind-of got the shape ok, I had a bit of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!