Monday, April 25, 2011

Weekly Challenge #19

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies.  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • Due to an AMAZING TURN OUT each and every week - i'm going to have to cap the amount of entries PER PERSON to TWO per  challenge.  (This  doesn't mean that you can only post 2 entries - no no  noooo, it just  means that i will only download 2 entries for the  slideshow, of which i  will download the first 2 presented to the  challenge.  i hope that makes  sense, somewhat.)
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
If you're a regular around here and you usually skim the first part up there (it happens) i just wanted to reinforce and bring to your attention that i've had to lower the entry cap to 2 per participant.  I'm STILL processing entries and trying to get the slideshow up in a timely fashion, but i can't ever seem to get it done on time because the slideshows get bigger every week!  The participation level is amazing, and i feel really honoured to be the facilitator for such amazing work each week

so, again - the cap for the slideshow is 2, but feel free to post as many as you like on your blogs.  (if you wanna go the extra mile for me, please put the TWO that you want in the slideshow as the first two images on your blog... thanks!)

and now on with your regularly scheduled blog post:

A few weeks ago, Rick and Maria (our Zentangle® creators) posted about the art and inspiration from artist William Morris and since then i've been dying to try it out for myself.  And, of course, this is the perfect platform for trying new things!

Maria writes:
I've always been "drawn" to the very subtle images in the backgrounds of many of his designs. Behind the graceful images of flowers, fruit, animals and maidens . . . there in the darkness, hidden almost from sight were faint patterns that completely and elegantly filled the spaces.
She then goes on to demonstrate how this can apply to Zentangle by using a white Sakura Gelly Roll pen on black interstices or 'space between'.   See her examples here, here, here, or here.

Maria adds (in the comments below):
p.s. I also wanted to mention that it is to your benefit to proceed slowly and softly with the gelly roll. Almost tickle the paper for the best results...and dots...well , make them very deliberately...gently circling these tiny orbs.
thanks!

Weekly Challenge #19 - More Morris
Create a tile or Zentangle Inspired piece using the William Morris technique of light over dark.

So i sat down to do my tile this week, excited about trying something new - started my tangling, filled in all my black space... and wouldn't ya know it?  NO WHITE PEN!!  i thought i had one in my arsenal, but all i had was 3 shades of purple and a gold pen.  This. Would. Not. Do.

Luckily for me, B-rad is a wonderful husband and offered to run out while he did errands and he picked up a Sakura pen for me! (YAY B-RAD!) Because of him i was able to do this:
"C" is for Chewie, my almost 3 year old
 and this:
materials used: Black card stock, white Sakura Gelly Roll pen, white pencil crayon
i just love the look of the first one, how the back ground just becomes so much softer.
Now that i've done the white on black, i'm looking back into my stash and thinking about trying out one of those purple pens, or perhaps maybe the gold one... hm....

oh, the possibilities.
Happy Monday!


the fine print:

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

41 comments:

  1. I love his work.....I am so ready to go and challenge myself more. Laura you are a marvel. I am so grateful for your patience with my obsession to keep doing more and so gentle with the limitations. you are a marvel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, your "Morristangle" is fabulous. I find (when doing this technique) that the tangles almost create themselves, they really "talk" to you.....OR, is it Billy, himself, gently nudging us into a particular direction.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooohhh! I'm excited! I went out and bought white gelly-roll pens a couple of weeks ago and have been wanting to try this technique. Thanks for the Push!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I also wanted to mention that it is to your benefit to proceed slowly and softly with the gelly roll. Almost tickle the paper for the best results...and dots...well , make them very deliberately...gently circling these tiny orbs. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've dabbled with this white on black William Morris background type tangling. Not REAL happy with anything so far. But REALLY wanting to try more. Thanks for this challenge! I'll see what I can do during airport down-time and daughter-visiting. :-)
    --Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. - Yes. LOVE the first tile you show!
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was fun! I'm getting the hang of drawing with the white gel pens. It definitely takes a different touch than when using the black (or colored) pigment pens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't choose the best paper for this and came up with something that looks more halloween than William Morris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When Maria first introduced this, I was all wow and wowee! Now you have given me a chance to challenge myself to try to get into the wowee zone myself! I am excited and scared, but happy scared!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It amazes me how you keep coming up with something completely new and interesting every week! Thanks for helping me keep my pen to the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Chewie tile! Thanks again, for a really fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love light on dark!! Thank you for the challenges, Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never knew William Morris was behind the idea of tangling on a black or dark background with white pens. When I first discovered Zentangle, I also purchased a pad of black cardstock or bristol paper and white gel markers to draw on. I only did two or three so far, but it was fun. Since I've been tangling in my 6" sketch journal I made (bookbinded) myself, I used a paint brush and some ink from a bottle that came with my Rapidiograph Pen set and painted a black background with the Inapod tangle pattern as the border around the black.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't done much on black paper so this was a good Challenge for me. Obviously the shading is a major work in progress!! Another good Challenge though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My submission is true to the spirit of the challenge even if not in the design.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was really fun. I see more white-on-black Zentangles in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi
    dont know if i've got the concept right,
    but tried my best and am pleased with the result!!! And pleased with such a great challenge !!! I thoroughly enjoyed doing it.....!!!!!
    Love your tangles.....!!!!
    hugs
    chris richards
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love to work on blackpaper

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chewie's tile has a wonderful dramatic effect! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Morning.. I'm not sure I did this right but wow do I love the white on navy..thanks for a great challenge and the info on William Morris.. worth studying some more..I love Chewie's tile...
    have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I went to five different stores looking for a white pen. Either they were out, or they didn't carry them. I ended up drawing with my digital pen on photoshop elements.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Lutka And Co. - my pen came from Michaels in the Scrapbook section. You could also try an art supply store?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great Challenge Laura, definitely was not in my comfort zone, so I had to stretch a little, which is what it's all about. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love William Morris' work so I was excited to see this challenge. I did two of the same tulip pattern. While I loved the white on black, I must say that the black on white is my favorite. I think it is because I had figured out the best way to approach the image.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the awesome challenge. Loved learning about William Morris. Loved working with the Gelly Roll pens. Loved the process and the result.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks again for another great challenge Laura. I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another great challenge Laura! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My first entry here, thanks Laura for this great challenge!
    I used white acrylic ink and white pencil that I already had because artsy supplies are hard to come by in my tiny town - no white gel pens found so far.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had so much fun the first time, I had to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. really enjoyed this challenge. I have done the dark over light before, but it was fun to revisit it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OK, my two offerings are ready over at my blog. I learned a lot from this particular challenge, Thanks!

    I am really looking forward to seeing everyone else's work. This is going to be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Please excuse my not following the rules!! I will get the right supplies when I have an opportunity to get to town and a store that has the pens and paper....then I will post another Morris...out of sequence I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I FINALLY managed to carve enough time to address this week's challenge! I love these, Laura, and am thrilled you've kept up with issuing them, despite the family challenges. Here's hoping Chewie is better!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for all of the time you spend with us. I have posted a second Zentangle I am eager to see everyone's Morris style White on Black tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I posted my Royal Wedding weekly challenge just a moment ago. Sorry it's so late.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Better late than never...
    I just completed the next bunch of Challenges and I am ready to proceed to the Royal Wedding challenge.
    I want to say again I am thrilled to have an organized method of practicing my doodling. I am going to use it for ZIA and having preset challenges makes it easier to practices because it gives me incentive, a starting point and it isn't so pre-determined that I can't use my creativity!
    Thanks for making up the challenges. I look forward to continuing through the past weeks.
    Happy New Year (2013).

    ReplyDelete
  37. Would be fun to try, but have nothing to so this with, and have to wait until next month to do so.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!