Monday, June 6, 2011

Weekly Challenge #25

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • Due to an AMAZING TURN OUT each and every week - i'm going to have to cap the amount of entries PER PERSON to TWO per  challenge.  (This  doesn't mean that you can only post 2 entries - no no  noooo, it just  means that i will only download 2 entries for the  slideshow, of which i  will download the first 2 presented to the  challenge.  i hope that makes  sense, somewhat.)
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome to Week 25.   I'm actually off this weekend to Edmonton, AB with my dear mommy to attend a seminar on Energy Healing.  With Artoo's condition we are willing to try anything... so - since i will be gone from Friday afternoon until Sunday night around midnight - i called out to my fellow CZT (Certified Zentangle Teachers) to see if anyone was interested in doing a guest challenge on my blog!

Then my inbox was filled with people eager to help out - and this was even before we ended up in the hospital with Artoo this week!  you gotta love people sometimes, y'know?

So!  Today's challenge will be the first in what i hope to be many guest posts from guest bloggers!!  What fun!! i can't wait... it will be pretty fun for me to be able to sit back and do a challenge during the week!  WEE!!

So, without further ado, i give you this week's Challenge from the Lovely and Talented Geneviève Crabe.


Weekly Challenge #25 "Zendala Magic"


Greetings everyone! My name is Geneviève and I will be your guest challenger for this week.

As some of you know, zendalas (a fusion of mandalas and Zentangle) are one of my favourite art forms. So for this week's challenge, I have created a zendala template for you to decorate. Here is a preview of the image:


The template is available in two sizes, in PDF format. The first can be traced on a 3.5x3.5-inch Zentangle tile, and the second can be printed out on an 8.5x11-inch (or A4) sheet of paper or card stock.


Small zendala template


Large zendala template

I look forward to seeing your contributions!

Geneviève Crabe
www.tangleharmony.com

Following a thirty-year career in high-tech, Geneviève is now devoting all her time to artistic pursuits, working on expanding her arts & crafts business by publishing books, patterns, kits, and teaching online classes. She is a Certified Zentangle Teacher, and teaches in and around St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada. Geneviève is the author of two books: Macintosh Graphics Techniques for Multimedia and Crafters’ Internet Handbook: Research, Connect and Sell Your Crafts Online, and is now working on a new book, Drawing Zendalas: Blending the ancient tradition of mandalas with the new art of Zentangle®. You can find links to all her online homes on her home page: http://www.amarylliscreations.com/.

the fine print:

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

52 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you all create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genevieve, Thanks so much for doing this, AND thanks for posting the templates as PDF's. Very helpful. I'm going to have fun with this.

    And Laura, I continue to send loving healing energy to you and Artoo. I'm sure you have a great team on your side: medical professionals, loving friends and family, and adding "alternative practitioners" can only help!

    Blessings!
    maggiekat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to get started! And yes, thanks for the printable templates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so maybe I'm a total idiot, but how do I get the template onto the tile?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, you can transfer the design by laying down some graphite on the back, then putting the design on top of your tile, and drawing on top of the design with a stylus or a ballpoint pen.

    I did a quick search and found an explanation with photos. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genevieve thank you for this weeks challenge. This was my first attempt at drawing a zendala and I loved the experience.

    I placed the template on top of my Zentangle Tile and traced on top of it with a bamboo knitting needle. It left an impression in the tile that I was later able to draw upon with my micron pen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I posted a link to this post on my blog here:

    http://thecreativeartist-jordan.blogspot.com/2011/06/linky-monday-4.html

    Hope you check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lois, that's a great tip. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Genevieve, for the template. I've never done a mandala before, so this was really fun for me. I'll probably try another if I can find the time.

    Laura, so glad you're letting someone else take this over for a while so you can concentrate on your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super fun! Thanks for stepping into the breach, Genevieve. This was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the additional structure of the template (after I figured out how to get it on the tile!). Thanks for posting this challenge.
    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another wonderfully fun challenge! Thanks for the template and challenge, Genevieve!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never done a zendala before....thanks for the fun challenge. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Genevieve, this is my 1st mandala so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Laura and Genevieve! Can't wait to see what happens with everyone. I traced mine in a window:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Genevieve. Your Zendala template is fun to use. Thank you so much for sharing this. I think you have other template I thought I saw on your website that I would like to create on. I just posted my Weekly Challenge 25 using this zendala template.

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Genevieve, thanks so much for the info on transferring the template to the tile. It worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the template, Geneviève. I'm new to all this and having lots of fun.

    Cheryl
    (aka Grandma Coco)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many incredible works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep seeing references to the challenge and it looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! This is the coolest thing ever! I just love what you've all been doing with the template.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my first Zendela and it certainly won't be my last! There are so many choices as to what can be done. It was another great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Genevieve - now you know how i feel every week... it's pretty amazing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope and pray everything is going better; I will add you and your baby to our prayer list at church is that is ok with you :)

    I actually forgot to come by earlier this week.... I am going to do a large one also...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Laura! Thanks Geneviève! Loved this challenge-love Zendala's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This week's challenge is serving double duty

    ReplyDelete
  27. Posted the larger one also... I think I like it better although my scanner doesn't do it justice...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great challenge and great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi everyone... I just got caught up looking at all the amazing Zendalas. All of you have created some wonderful works of art, thanks you for honouring my contribution to the weekly challenge.

    I'll be posting more Zendala templates on my website soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Let's try putting my link in the right one this time.... Sorry, Laura, I got a week 25 link in the week 23 list.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This was soooo...much fun! I can't wait to try another.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm still overwhelmed by all your zendalas. Mine are now posted.

    ReplyDelete
  33. For your drawing pleasure... I have posted more Zendala templates on my website. You'll find them here. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This has been a fantastic challenge to follow, it really shows the depth of variation that each person can contribute to a common template. Thanks both to Laura and Genevieve. I really enjoyed making mine.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yay! I was able to finish and photograph this challenge in time!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is my first zendala, and I haven't been tangling that long either. I really enjoyed the different structure, and I've got my daughter doing them too - she's 5!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Zendalas rock! Thanks for this challenge, Laura and Genevieve. I want to do more. Cast some light, it'll be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for these challenges Laura and thank you Genevieve for the Zendala template. this is my first challenge entry. it is the first time i posted any zentangle/ZIA publicly. I am my worst critic. LOL Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  40. What fun - thanks Genevieve - great template will definitely be checking your site for more.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That was a cool shape to zentangle in. I was trying to get some perspective down into the middle. Getting there
    http://theprojectstarter.blogspot.com/2011/06/zendala-magic.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. Merci beaucoup pour cette belle expérience. J'ai l'habitude de faie des mandalas "traditionnelles". Aussi, au commencement j'ai fortement eu envie de colorier... Ce challenge m'a ouvert de nouvelles portes et m'a permis de développer ma pratique du zentangle.
    http://lavoiedescouleurs.blogspot.com/2011/06/challenge-25-zendala-magique.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. Bonjour Geneviève, Je viens de m'apercevoir que je suis peut-être hors délai pour ce zendala, mais cela n'est pas grave car j'y est pris beaucoup de plaisir.

    Je suis allée sur les sites des divers participants et je suis surprise par la diversité des réalisations... C'est vraiment une très bonne idée de nous proposer ces challenges !

    ReplyDelete
  45. Another fun challenge. When I posted my entry my blog was not cooperating so I wasn't as sight specific as I should have been. I apologize and here's the right one (it was a time issue): http://dicksallyjane.blogspot.com/2011/06/challenge-25-zendala.html

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just thought of another tune worm...

    Dizzy, I'm so dizzy...My head is spinning...

    ReplyDelete
  47. really enjoyed this challenge. i look forward to the next one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you for this zendala! I had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thank you for this zendala! I had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!