Monday, June 13, 2011

Weekly Challenge #26

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • Due to an AMAZING TURN OUT each and every week - i'm going to have to cap the amount of entries PER PERSON to TWO per  challenge.  (This  doesn't mean that you can only post 2 entries - no no  noooo, it just  means that i will only download 2 entries for the  slideshow, of which i  will download the first 2 presented to the  challenge.  i hope that makes  sense, somewhat.)
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

Good Monday Morning everyone! Didn't you just LOVE last week's guest post?? i know i did, the Zendala's you have created are just stunning! i hope to be all caught up with slideshows etc in the near future!! Thanks again Geneviève for hosting last week's Zentangle challenge...

I'm going to make this short because - well, i don't have a lot of time.
The past week Artoo has been recovering from his almost-return-to-the-hospital and also recovering from the antibiotics responsible for that. Chewie has been feeling the need for extra hugs, cuddles, and attention this week - after having been carted around to different family members while Artoo was in the hospital, then to be returned back home Friday morning only to have me leave for the weekend Friday night. Poor dude.

it's been quite a busy crazy and hectic week - i'm still adjusting to the information i received at the seminar i attended... and my house is a disaster and every day i think to myself "Why is it again that i'm not independently wealthy and have a cleaning lady?" sigh.

One day.... a girl can dream...

but we have been getting some use of our backyard, the weather has been lovely this week - and Chewie loves to play in a tub of water on our back deck. Keeps him occupied for TENS of minutes!! We also took a trip to the nearby spray park yesterday - it received mixed results.

AHHHH!! THE SPRAY PARK WATER IS TOOO SPRAY-EY!!

Artoo chilaxes where ever he goes...
So much for being short, eh? (yeah, i'm canadian)

On to the challenge!


Weekly Challenge #26: "String Theory v.III - Spiral Out, Keep Going*"
*100 imaginary bonus points to the one who knows the song lyric i just quoted

Before we get started, i just really want to remind those of you posting links to the linkey machine to please use the site specific URL for your entry.  This is really coming into play now, as i'm a few slideshows behind, and it's helpful to me to be able to click DIRECTLY to the post containing your tile, instead of having to search for it on from your home page.  If you need help with this, please see my half-assed tutorial on using site-specific URLs here

One of the great things about running your own challenge is that you can really spend time working on things you feel you need help in - for me, this is strings.... I find i spend too much thinking of a "COOL" string before i start that having a string pre-chosen is really helpful to me.  This is also why i love the Zentangle pre-strung tiles!  (You can buy them directly from the Zentangle website or from a Certified Zentangle Teacher or CZT)

This week the challenge is to make your string a Spiral!

There are all kinds of significance to the spiral - it occurs everywhere in nature, also in sacred geometry, you can build it with the golden ratio, etc., etc., etc., - i'm not going to get into that here because there's just too much to talk about and i'm trying (not very hard) to be brief today!  Ask my husband about spirals, he'll tell you* - or Rick Roberts, i'm sure he'd have lots to say as well. 

*"The spiral you drew is not technically a Golden spiral, it's more of an Archemedean spiral." - B-rad, my uber sexy geek of a hubby. 
uh....righhht....

Here's mine:

Here is my Spiral - untangled

my creepy crawly spiral
So go forth and spiral out of tangly control!!


WOO!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

37 comments:

  1. Love your spiral! Can't wait to have some spiral time of my own this week! Sending calming vibes your way for a smooth week. I love the photos of the boys - specially Artoo. Sunglasses and babies are one of the best combos ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lyric would be from Lateralus by Tool - cool! The boys look super-chill; dig the shades! Hang in there, kiddo....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey wait.....is this a short person's (aka Canadienne thingy) because I should have enough of that stuff in me and I still don't know who sang this...... And I love your spiralling tangle....ooh ooh, can't wait to see everyone's altogether.....I especially like how you can see all the entries together on one screen....would make great posters! Or a calendar!! love you guys, M

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a second Christina... did you use a search engine?? or did you ACTUALLY KNOW THAT?? (You're right, though)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spiraling out of control is what life does at times. Some people like that condition of dizziness that comes with the spiral but I find it a bit less desirable. I hope that the spiral you have been experiencing it coming to an end and you will have a stretch of calm. Thanks for the challenge, it helps give vent to my dizzy week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This challenge looks fun. I love swirls and spirals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute pics of the boys! Love your spiral tile. Thanks for the fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable pictures of the boys. With the sunglass on, Artoo looks just like you Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, Laura, ya got me good! I do so LOVE the spiral!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great challenge.. I always seem to have more fun with curved lines.. guess I'll have to work on my straight lines soon..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is only the sixth challenge I've taken part in and I am so looking forward to going back and completing them all! Thanks for a simply yet nicely challenging pick! I'm basically still a newbie at this and am picking up what I can from all of you here, from the Zentangle newsletter & website and doing lots of Google Image searches for patterns!

    I can't believe I'm the 10th person to actually finish this week's challenge - makes me feel great to start my week off with such a fun accomplishment!

    Love & Light To All!
    Christina G
    (A Writing Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great one! I confess I really like these string challenges. They are helping my strings a lot. I hope that Artoo is feeling much better and things have calmed down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love spirals. Now that mine is done, I started looking at the others. Lots of beautiful work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun Challenge!

    I bet that water was cold too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the chance to learn!! So far what I've learned is that Spirals are fun!! :)
    Cheryl(Grandma Coco)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just added mine! I just LOVE spirals, they always seem to slide in to my tangles anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glee! Thanks for putting me in a nice whirl! Gorgeous, gorgeous boys!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laura, you got our heads spinning with this one. A really great challenge. Your entry was a real inspiration, love the background tangle that sets off your design perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool theme once again Laura. Love a good spiral!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are all so good! Not sure I'm a "real" zentangler, but still enjoying the challenge. Thanks Laura. God Bless you and your lovely family. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pas facile ce challenge. J'ai voulu essayer sur une tuile de 9 x 9 cm car j'utilise rarement ce format. Expérience intéressante, mais je me suis rapidement retrouvée à l'étroit...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these challenges and I have really missed doing/posting them. Many I have done and not posted, but I am happy to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I forgot to add my challenge response last week. Or I forgot that I did. Hmmmm. Comes down to I forgot, either way, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I decided to take the plunge and made a blog for my tangles. Thank you for the challenges, it's been fun.

    Hope your kids are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fun challenge! Love your spiral. The shading really makes it look like the spiral is going to crawl right off the tile!

    I hope the boys are better soon. They are sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tough challenge, but I gave it a shot.

    Hope Artoo is doing better, and give Chewie an extra hug from us.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Spirals! Spirals! Spirals! Oh, how I love spirals! Thank you so much for giving me a spiral adventure this week and the pleasure of visiting so many incredible spiral interpretations! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fun challenge even though I struggled a bit with it - mostly just me getting in my own way. Once I stepped back and let go went a lot smoother. What do you know I'm not posting it at 11:59pm on Saturday Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh them precious boys, I keep saying Artoo will be a strong little man with all he has endured. You are all daily in my prayers. Keep Tanglin to help keep some sanity, SMILE!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Glad your family is on the mend ! Hope he goes from strength to strength xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. My spiral just took on a life of its own ~ so I remembered to Breathe ~ Relax and Smile ~ in true Zentangle form.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think I am finally getting the hang of this. I am almost done, but it is due tomorrow, right? O.k. was late on the last challenge. Almost done and excited to post, just hope I did it right...heehee...we'll see

    ReplyDelete
  33. Think I got this in on time this week.. haven't had internet the past couple of days..The boys looks great.. loving those sunglasses...

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was a fun challenge. I used your tangle Artoo to add a finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Intimidated at first, but had fun with it after all. Cari

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!