Monday, June 20, 2011

Weekly Challenge #27

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
It occured to me last week that we're halfway through the year!! holy cow! Can you believe it??

These last 26 weeks have been simultaneously the shortest and the longest of my life.  ha!  I think this is a common feeling for all moms of little babies... but Artoo is not the only little baby i'm proud of - this challenge has taken on a crazy life of its own, creating a community of support and inspiration... i'm one proud mama.

This week Artoo had a Modified Barium Swallow test which consisted of a chair like contraption, a bunch of lead aprons, a bottle filled with barium, an xray video camera, and video imaging of my little man's skull and throat.  The doctors wondered if maybe he was aspirating on his formula... turns out he was, but luckily only a little - so we were able to thicken his formula a bit and he seems to be handling that fairly well.

Also, it was a long week of photo shoots....  you can see a shot from MY sexy pin-up photo shoot here, and also my adorable little Artoo's baby shoot here!

YEAH!!


Weekly Challenge #27: "Duo-tangle"


We've spent some time exploring strings these past few weeks - so i thought we'd switch it up this Monday and focus on some tangles.

Part of my problem, i find, is that it's so easy for me to fall into the same old patterns i always use.  Like i've said before, part of the great thing about hosting your own challenge is that i can work on areas where i feel i need challenging!  :)

This week's challenge is to do a tile or Zentangle inspired piece that uses only these two tangles; Dex and Verdigogh.  Both of these patterns are official Zentangle Tangles, and the instructions for these patterns can be found in the Zentangle Newsletters - links below.  (Click here to subscribe, if you haven't already)



Links to the Official Zentangle Patterns Dex and Verdigogh

While i was doing this tile, not only did i find using two patterns that were out of my regular rotation a bit to grapple with, but ONLY using these two was where i felt it to be the most challenging.

I also had to look at my tile differently, knowing i only had two patterns to fill it with.

I'm excited to see where you will all take these tangles, and what exciting new variations and tangleations will come of it... (I DO love the tangleations, they never cease to amaze and inspire me)

and now, the fine print:
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. **Sometimes, who am i kidding, my life gets in the way... i think it's probably fair to say if the slideshow isn't posted yet, its a good chance you'll still get in... ;)

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(


45 comments:

  1. Wow, your an early girl this morning. Your tile is wonderful and it looks like you've got Verdigogh and Dex down. Lovely combination and composition! I look forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for a great challenge! It sounds like you had one of those challenging weeks again and that you came up triumphant. I appreciate all you do for us tangle fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours looks great! Very elegant.

    Looking forward to this one. These are two tangles that I have learned and practiced, but don't remember ever using before. It will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be quite a challenge for me...but I appreciate your coming up with it!! I think that challenging the ol' gray matter is what keeps us all on our creative edge!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE what you did with these two tangles. I'm inspired this morning!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were quite early this morning! Thanks! I had some supervising hours during exam time at my school. When the kids started their exams I could tangle during my supervising hours.
    I found this one extremely hard. I don't know if I'll try another one. I'm not really satisfied with this one ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tile, Laura. I don't use Dex very often and to put it with Verdigogh was a challenge. Thanks for making us think outside the norm with these challenges! Artoo has the most beautiful blue eyes, and your pin-up was soooooooo sexy...your husband will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great challenge. Love your tile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for moving me to work with two tangles that I don't use very often. I was surprised at my results.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were very creative putting the two tangles together. This one was a tricky one for sure, and you are right about having to look at the tile differently. Fun to think outside the box. Verdigogh is such a pretty tangle and Dex was a first timer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beaut choice of tangles, love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.. now this was indeed a challenge! I still haven't entirely made friends with 'Dex'.. but maybe it's me avoiding too many straight lines or grids, I sure was grateful it was paired with a more fluid tangle like Verdigogh. I probably need more challenges with straight lines. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tough challenge, but your entry was the inspiration I needed to get started. I'm enjoying the large variety of the resulting entries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Busy week but then yours is a busy life how do you do it all? Actually managed to join in this week and not just plan to. Still getting to grips dex making this a very interesting challenge, thank you. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comme je "zentangle" depuis juste 5 mois je n'avais pas encore eu l'occasion d'utiliser ces deux enchevêtrements. Voilà qui est fait ! Merci pour ce challenge. Je suis surprise par les entrées déjà réalisées qui sont toutes plus magnifiques les unes que les autres.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a challenge! And the Picture od Artoo was so great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Margareth, j'ai été emmêlement plus d'un an et demi et je n'ai jamais mis les deux ensemble soit. Aussi, s'il vous plaît excuser mon français terrible. Cela a été un temps très long depuis les classes lycée français - et je triche! (je suis traducteur de Google à l'aide parce que j'ai oublié tellement) Merci de rejoindre les défis!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As someone still fairly new to Zentangle, I have loved each and every one of these challenges. This one was a bit tougher because I've never used these two patterns. Thanks Diva! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was a bit difficult to do this week for some reason, but I got it done :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This one was a real doozie Laura! Looking forward to what you come up with next

    ReplyDelete
  22. This one truly was a challenge, I tore up like four pieces, I was so irriated, LOL! Then I finally told myself JUST FINISH! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was hard!! :) Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Verdigogh is really hard for me. Thanks for making me take it on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well this WAS a challenge, but so worth it. I've just got to keep going with Verdigogh. it has so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry for the double post. Next week I promise to read the instructions a little slower:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I didn't feel particularly inspired this week. But I got it done. So at least I don't feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for this week's challenge. I didn't like it at all at first but was so grabbed by it that I've just added another image to the first I published. For me the challenge was the linear nature of Dex. Tested my eyes and my ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was the hardest one, yet! But I'm happy for the challenge. Stretch my creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Everybody did such an awesome job! The tangles are so beautiful! Gives me more ideas for future tangles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sorry, I mistakenly put one wrong challenge and one right challenge on here.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great challenge -- I've never used either pattern before and while I don't like grid patterns much, I fell in love with Verdigogh!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love what everyone's been doing with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the challenge. I love verdigogh, but I kept avoiding learning dex because it looked so complicated, but this encouraged me to try it. Now I'll use it in other tangles, but probably not by itself with verdigogh!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I didn't do justice with this challenge unfortunatley. It was late and I grabbed the closest pen I had handy- a felt. Not my best work. But I did enjoy learning about DEX

    ReplyDelete
  36. Better late than never - right? I've never used these patterns so I put it off as long as I could, But I couldn't NOT do it. Thanks for "pushing" (well it's really more like encourageing) me to try new things!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for this challenge. Now I just had to try Verdigogh, I never used it before.

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are actually two of my favorite tangles! I loved how different they are from one another, so integrating them was the biggest challenge and everyone did such a wonderful job. It's fascinating how many ways there are to combine just two tangles - what a creative and talented bunch of folks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm laughin' at myself, I am - nearly forgot to list my response to this challenge! Hehheeee

    ReplyDelete
  40. this was a challenge, neither of these are tangles that I use much

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yes, challenging - entry not that great but I did finally learn to draw verdigogh - just ran out of time to correct all that went south with this particular piece. Submit or not? LOL - security word that popped up barferic - perfect ending to this challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ok, I tried this one again! Second entry for me this time!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yeah, I'm still meh on my verdigogh, too. Which is funny because I love the tangle, even though I'm not so good at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. this is a challenging tangle, indeed!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  45. The challenge No. 27 was fun to do. I just finished it last night and now I'm ready to start on this week's challenge No. 28.

    Keep up the good work, Linda.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!