Monday, June 27, 2011

Weekly Challenge #28

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone, i hope you had a great week!  I'm blown away by some of the Duo-Tangle submissions for last week... i knew you'd come up with something amazing.... i'm truly inspired!!

It was an interesting mix, for sure, trying to work the very structured tangle of DEX in with the graceful and organic tangle of VERDIGOGH - but you all managed to find a fabulous balance.  That slideshow will blow your socks off (when i get to it...sigh)

taken from my phone while the car was moving... not too shabby if i do say so myself...
So - It's been raining like crazy the past few days...we've been alternating between hot hot heat and thunderstorms...  With last year's flooding still fresh in our memories at Casa Diva, to say that we're a little nervous when the rains come down would be a bit of an understatement. 

But so far, so good.  Fingers Crossed!!

It's been a pretty fun week.  We were lucky enough to have two of our very dear friends who were visiting from Victoria/Calgary in our home for a few days.  We haven't seen them in a couple years - it was so very nice to catch up.

They are amazing people, Lisa - who is beautiful and gentle and kind and all kinds of crazy flexible, and Rand - who knows the answer to pretty much everything, has a great laugh, and is a big Zentangle fan.  I started telling them a bit about this blog and the challenge and it turns out Rand has been following my blog!!

i felt a little bit famous.

Between that and Maria Thomas calling me a Rockstar this week - i might have to watch that i don't get an inflated ego!

Hi Lisa!  Hi Rand!  :)

Crayons are fun times!
It's getting close to summer holiday time for us over here.  B-rad has the two middle weeks of July off from work this summer - so we hope to get out of the house a little, even if its just to the back yard or the lake nearby.  We shall see... Luckily, though, we can go on a different trip - thanks to our Zentangle gurus, Rick and Maria...

Weekly Challenge #28: "Trip to Tripoli"

If you've been paying attention on the Zentangle Blog - you may have noticed Maria taunting us with tiles containing these simple and beautiful triangles... you can see some of those tiles here or here or here or here or here........or here

If you are as amazed and inspired by those as i am, do i have good news for you!! They've (finally) given us the know-how to do this tangle ourselves!  It's called "Tripoli"- for three sided polygon!  (Not to be confused with the capital of Libya)

You can see the instructions in their latest newsletter here! (if you haven't subscribed yet, what are you waiting for? Subscribe here!!)

I've been playing around with this tangle for the past couple of days, and i really feel like i've only scratched the surface of what is possible with this pattern!  As Maria says, it's the New Grid in Town!


Tripoli! What a Trip.


So - get out your pens and explore the land of Tripoli! Where will it take you?


(If you need some help with this pattern, Suzanne Wilka has posted a great tutorial on her blog HERE)
the fine print:

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

35 comments:

  1. This is my first visit here found your blog very inspiring I will be visiting more often
    anandhirajan
    http://anandhirajansartsncrafts.blogspot.com/2011/06/zentangle.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping that Tripoli would be this week's challenge. I've been in love with this tangle since it started appearing in Maria's work. Yummo. It's great to hear you had such a fun week. Here's hoping for another! Rock on, Rockstar:) We all appreciate what you do for us every week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Tripoli tangle, Laura! I'm loving this "new" tangle.
    Seems like a very similar pattern that was part of our 102 Original Tangles bible....('Kathy's Dilemma'), and THAT pattern always eluded me. But since Maria posted a few 'tips' to drawing Tripoli, the pattern finally makes sense! Woo-hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not decided on the shading for this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Julie, i've been shading little tiny circles around where the triangles meet... don't know if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your tile, Laura! Love all the variations with this tangle. Hope you have a good week. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool Challenge... Thanks and everyone yours are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed it, as always, thanks! Very inspiring and I would have delayed trying the new tangle for who knows how long, feeling intimidated. The challenge gets me going and past my hesitation. Cari

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Laura you clicked onto Tripoli so quickly, I love what you have done with it. I have been itching to have a go ever since we started to see Maria's little teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Challenging and at first frustrating but now I think I have decided it is fun. Thanks Laura for pushing me out of my comfort zone. I kept thinking.....oh Laura's is so good and mine doesn't flow. Thanks for your good example!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The many variations for this tangle are exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Several comments have been about your tangle, but I have not seen it as it is not visible to me when I view your posting. There is something I am not doing right. If you know the secret please fill me in on the magic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the first time I worked with the black Zentangle tiles, white charcoal pencil and white gelly roll pen. So happy my order came in on time for this weeks challenge. What a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't posted my link yet, need to finish my tile. However, while reading several blogs I noticed several others (including me) were having similar struggles working with Tripoli. Finally the light bulb went off for me so I created and posted on my blog, a more detailed illustration of what worked for me. Here's the link if anyone is interested. http://tinyurl.com/6ex5jz3 Off to finish my tile - who knows maybe I won't be close to last this week!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tripoli was not as easy as I thought it would be, but I managed, and it was fun. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are such an inspiration, Laura! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for the Weekly Challenge. It is here to draw me back when I stray too far from my daily practice of Zentangle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I put off doing this one for the first few days, but once I got going I was really rollin' along.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks again, Laura! I'm so happy that you have created this blog. This way I'm sure to keep in practice with my zentangles! You are an awesome person with an awesome heart. Tangle on, Diva!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've posted some instructions on how keep Tripoli on track. Hope it helps someone.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the 4 Tripoli variations you used and great job with highlighting the striping. Your tangle has lots of movement.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was hard. I had trouble keeping the triangles the same size and they kept floating all over the page. I finally figured out that if you do them in a row and repeat the pattern top to bottom it became more uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aparently this was a real challenge for all of us!! I struggled with this pattern too but got my Challenge piece done. I think I will have to keep working on it because I'm still not satisfied with the results. More challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is some voyage of discovery. Thank you lovely Diva. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't think without the nudge I'd have tried this one still have to play with it to really get a feel for it but seeing all the wonderful things people have been doing with it have heaps of inspiration and a few ideas.

    Looks like you had a great time with your friends and now it's your national holiday? Enjoy. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  26. I did my Tripoli mostly at a baseball game, so I didn't have access to all the great instructions that have been popping up. But I must tell you, that being at a grandson's baseball game, sitting with people I love, AND doing a Zentangle -- oh my goodness, I was in heaven. My next goal is to sit down with directions and get coordinated! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoyed playing with Tripoli, I think it gives you lots of drawing ideas, and thanks for sharing your creations, there are very spectacular! Waiting for the next challenge....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oof, finally made the tripoli yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just under the wire!! I agree with most others...a challenging tangle but eventually very intriguing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tripoli is definitely going to end up a staple for me. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just added my Challenge 28 on my blog. Sorry it's so late.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just added a second link that is the shaded version.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!