Monday, July 4, 2011

Weekly Challenge #29

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

Welcome back! i trust everyone had a fun Trip to Tripoli last week... i know i did!  I also want to say a very happy Fourth of July to my Yankee friends as they celebrate their Independence today!  And a very big "Take Off, Eh?" to my fellow Canucks up here! We celebrated our National Holiday last Friday on July first - Canada Day; commemorating the coming together of the British North American colonies of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and the Province of Canada (which was on its way to becoming Ontario and Quebec).  Otherwise more commonly called Canada's birthday.

There wasn't much in the way of festivities at Casa Diva - unless you count B-rad being home from work a cause for celebration (and i do).  We pretty much just chilled for most of the day, having gone to some friends the night before for a Canada Day-Eve BBQ.


B-rad enjoying a brew!
 It was nice to get out of the house and HANG OUT with friends!  it felt...almost...normal.... if you can believe that.

Myself and Little E - smiling! Happy Day Before Canada Day!
 Chewie and his Friend Little E had a great time playing with water guns and cherry bombs (with adult supervision, of course).
Chewie and Little E chillin' in the tent - give them 12 more years and we won't think it's so cute...
 It was a fun BBQ followed by another amazing Saskatchewan sunset - which i caught with my phone...
The Beautiful Prairie sky - taken from my front yard
The rest of the weekend has been spent going for family walks to the spray park by the river, and to the slurpee store... Chewie practicing riding his tricycle... sidewalk chalk.... painting pine cones... it's been a good weekend.

Now it's Monday and it's challenge time - but i've been so very fortunate to have a few guests lined up for the month of July!  Today's guest challenger is Sue Jacobs!  I saw this posted on her blog and emailed her right away and said: "Do you think this post wants to be a weekly challenge when it grows up?"  Luckily for us, it did!!  So - everyone!  Let's give a warm Diva welcome to the lovely and talented Sue Jacobs, CZT. 

Weekly Challenge #29: "String Theory v. IV: Creative Genesis"

Strings in zentangles can be frustrating. I tend to draw the same string over and over. So the string theory challenges from the Diva have been enlightening. But creating new ones yourself is the challenge. And the zentangle philosophy is "unexpected results" and "unknown outcomes". So I think I came up with a way that I can't believe I haven't seen before.

Find a string around the house. Find a weight that has a hole in it. Tie your string to the weight. Set the weight on your tile and let the string slowly drop down onto your tile.

various strings - photo Sue Jacobs
Do this until you have a string that you find pleasing. Take a picture or get out your pencil and start drawing.  TA-DA! Your own string! You can incorporate the shape of your weight into your string design or not. Your choice.

various weights - Photo Sue Jacobs
Now, the string can be a variety of things; cord, yarn, thread, ribbon, beads, etc. And the weight can be a variety of things too. A washer, a heavy button, a nut from a bolt, a ring (wedding or otherwise), a fishing weight, etc. You don't have to go out and buy something. There will be something, somewhere, laying around the house.

Weighted string - Photo Sue Jacobs
Then you can get creative. Try thicker ribbons and twisting them, try rubber bands knotted together, I'm sure you can come up with additional ideas.

Finished tile - photo Sue Jacobs


Also check out Lois Stokes' site on strings http://www.squidoo.com/oracles.
--

Sue Jacobs became a CZT in February. She teaches in The Chicago suburbs. Her blog at http://suejacobs.blogspot.com is the place for class information.

and now - the fine print:

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

30 comments:

  1. What a cool ideas, Sue! Thanks. Looking forward to having fun with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sunset. Great challenge.... let me get started :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous family pictures, love the two youngsters in the tent they look full of mischief. Loving this idea for a string from Sue going to be a lot of fun. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 4th everybody. Cute family pictures. I'm planning on attending a yearly party at a mutual friend's place later on today. This challenge sounds like it's going to be fun. I have plenty of "junk" to use at my fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunshine, tents, cold drinks!!!
    I just stoked up the fire for a cosy night in, there's a real chill in the air here in Tassie. Thanks Sue for the super idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this weeks challenge - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son loved this string theory challenge ... (see blog...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who would have thought finding a string could be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was alot of fun! I used a dog tag and chain I had lying around.. I think I may reuse this idea alot! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoo boy, tough one for me. I had to let go of the control element of choosing the string. Probably good for me though. Thanks for the inventive idea. Cari

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this tangle. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, love the idea of using a string for the string so random! Thank you Sue for a great idea I know I'll use time and again. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the great idea Sue. And Diva, looks like a wonderful family holiday. Life is sweet with little ones around and that sunset is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How does this stuff happen? Thanks for keeping us on our toes. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun challenge! Thanks Sue & Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was indeed a lot of fun. In fact, I think I'll have to give it another go! Many thanks to Laura and Sue for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shoot! I forgot to photo the string before I tangled it, may have to do another one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A string for a string! Hooray! That was really fun and my little cord went right into the shape of a heart. Thank you, Sue, for a really interesting new approach to making strings.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh the pictures one can find in a simple loop of string.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting challenge ... and I actually finished this one in time too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a fun challenge--it was great to see the string in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for a great challenge -- this is the first I have managed to complete on time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just posted my Weekly Challenge in. It was fun collecting objects to use for the string.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was fun and just what I needed. Have been too busy to post a tangle of late but still looking at everyones awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great challenge! I loved this new way of creating strings.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A fun challenge for a busy week! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aaah bring up the rear again - still love a challenge

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks, Sue! Love to Laura, Artoo, and Family. I did have fun with this, even if it brought out a peek of my "wild side"

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!