Monday, July 11, 2011

Weekly Challenge #30

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
As you may have read, Artoo was back in the hospital this week... the joy of having a baby who's had pneumonia is that he's now susceptible to pneumonias.  This is his third bout since February - with another stay in the hospital for bronchialitis. 

We got sent home on Saturday morning - just in time for Chewie's third birthday party which was supposed to happen in a local park, but due to looming thunderclouds - got changed to our place at the last minute.  i scrambled to get everything ready while B-rad looked after the baby keeping him close to the suction machine (we have our very own medical suction machine to help Artoo keep on top of colds and things... i can only imagine what a mess we'd be in if we didn't have that.)

anyway, the party was great - busy - hectic - chaotic - everything you'd expect from a 3 year old's birthday party...  but last night, i suddenly felt awful.  i don't know if it's just that my body wouldn't "LET" me be sick while in the hospital, or if i was just exhausted and my immune system just decided to quit...or what, but now *i'm* sick.  sigh.

Luckily for me, i had already lined up some great guest posts because B-rad is off on holidays for the next two weeks...

so, without further adoo - i give you a wonderful guest post by Christina Vandervlist at stART CZT, a darling sweetheart and a fellow Canadian! Let's give her a big warm Diva Challenge welcome...

Weekly Challenge #30: "String Theory v.V :Initialize"

Hi!  You may know me as Christina, or as stART, and I’ve been given this most wonderful opportunity to share with you all, thanks to the generosity of our lovely Diva.  The Diva is sharing her podium whilst she spends some family time.  Families matter.  WE matter.  So for the challenge this week I am going to ask you to bring a little of yourself into the artwork! 

Many people seem to find creating a string quite a challenge.

In a way, this is yet another “String Theory” exercise; draw your first and last initials, overlapping, and use this as the string for your tangles.  Either block letters or cursive, both work well, so use your favourite.  I did up an example using each style to give you a bit of a jump start:





Christina is a CZT from southern Ontario, who is also an international designer, author and instructor of beadwork.  Her blog provides not only a look into her Zentangle artwork, but also a Zentangle Glossary and instructions to the tangles she has designed.  She teaches Zentangle to share the many benefits with her students and provide them with the means to explore their own creativity and access their potential.
and now - the fine print:

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

45 comments:

  1. Laura, So glad to hear Artoo's @ home & recovering! Sorry you're sick. Take a few days to take care of yourself, and maybe you can still enjoy some holiday time with your family!

    Christina, Thanks for the Challenge! I'm off to test some initial strings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great Challenge. I will get started as soon as I get back from tutoring! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christina...I'm lovin' it!!! I may even get this one in before Saturday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you were able to give Chewie the birthday party you planned, even with all the last minute crises and stressors...now make a cup of tea and GO TO BED! We love you, too, and those boys need a Mommy with good health to keep up with them! (You can thank B-rad later! *wink*).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Christina, loved your challenge! I already had a go! Here is my entry for this week! I guess I'm the first! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to be part of a community that works together to help each other out. Thanks Christina for stepping in and Laura I hope you can take a much needed deep breath!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops no, not the first! LOL! It's almost impossible to 'beat' ledenzer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a fun challenge.

    Blue-Bird, can anyone beat Ledenzer?:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Happy Birthday Chewie"!
    Oh this is a great idea Christina, my initials got a bit tangled!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great challenge! Thanks for the fun Christina and Laura, and Happy B-day to Chewie, and well wishes for the whole fam damily!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't usually post two pieces here, but this week I am having too much fun with them. Thanks again Christina!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! Though I feel a little cheated since both my initials are the same, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun and strangely revelatory too! Thanks again for stretching us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do take care of yourself. Hard to do when you are a dedicated mother but know you are in many prayers. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am getting back in the tangle groove.Great challenge, Christina! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you and Artoo are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've just discover Zentangle and this is the first time I've entered a challenge. And...it was definitely a challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All our love to family Diva! Thanks for a fun challenge, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Positive thoughts to you all (((Hugs)))

    Christina thank you for a fun challenge. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you get well soon and have some nice family time. Christina, thanks for this great challenge. It was fun again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Christina, another fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I limited myself to one letter - any more got too messy

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was fun. I always have trouble getting started. You made it "E""Z".

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woohoo! I got it done before the end of the week!... And I'm loving what everyone has created in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. First official entry into the challenge.. hopefully I linked correctly!
    Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this was a fun challenge I love the variety.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've missed a few weeks, but I'm back, and this was a great one to start with! ~Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have missed quite a few weeks but this challenge was too great to resist :) I had fun and did a little something different for a change :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope all is better with you and your family, Laura.

    Christina, thanks for the challenge. Such creativity from all the Zentangle "challengers" and the "challengees." Cari

    ReplyDelete
  30. wasn't sure I'd have time to do this week's challenge, but I set aside a couple of hours tonight

    ReplyDelete
  31. This was a fun Challenge using your Initials for the String. I always loved using my initials or my name in my designs or tangling.
    Poor Artoo! I hope he gets better soon. Maybe Canada is too cold for him, although it's beautiful up there.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Uuh - this was not easy but fun! Thanks stArt for doing it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Initial attempt at initialize. Might try again and this time follow the directions :-) Thanks, Christina. Fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was a fun string. I have already done quite a few with different results. Thanks for the fun!! Hope everyone is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I did not believe this was going to be so hard, but for some reason I had a trying time getting a tangle that I liked, but I did. Thank you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I even have a second one for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hope all is well with the diva and family!! Once again...better late than never on my entry!!! There is always MONDAY to try again to get in earlier! Thanks, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for another great challenge and good health to you and your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks to Laura and Christina for this challenge! It brought out so many beautiful, inventive creations!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I was So Proud of myself for getting this done, and posted before I went to work on Sat. morning! Realized as I fell into bed last night that I never Linked it! Oh, well!

    Hope y'all are well!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cela fait un petit moment que je n'ai pas participé au challenge mais les mois d'été sont toujours très chargés... Aujourd'hui, il pleut et j'ai profité de cette AM pour "zendaler". Je suis un peu hors consignes mais je me suis bien amusée. J'ai fait un deuxième zentangle pour les challenges 28 et 29, vraiment sympa mais malgré 15 jours d'entraînement, l'enchevêtrement tripoli me donne toujours du fils à retordre !!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Y'know, I tried this one a few times and I just couldn't overlap my initials and be happy with them! I even tried to intermingle the different parts of the letters, but I still wasn't thrilled. Anyway, I did them a few times and went to the age old side by side format! It was a great exercise, but probably not a string method I will use in the future.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!