Monday, July 25, 2011

Weekly Challenge #32

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Thirty two.... i can hardly believe it! I can also hardly believe that it's practically the end of July.  Sigh.  Where does the time go??

Last week i hurt my back.  So i spent much of this week going to chiropractors and getting massaged.  But not in anyway relaxing.  My chiro literally had to jump on me!  She told me to get myself to a massage therapist - who worked on my lower back/glutes and shoulders/neck for an HOUR and told me that of all the people she's seen, i'm the tightest.  nice.

It was painful, but in the end, my back is feeling much better.

I managed to get out of the house quite a bit this week - thanks to my wonderful husband.  I went for supper and had the most delicious margarita ever... last week i had the biggest half plate of nachos ever with another friend who was in town for a few days... i went with my Ladies Night Out group to a Succulent Pot Class (which was AWESOME!! Plants that thrive on neglect are my kind of plant!)  I took Chewie to his very first movie in the big theatre to see Cars 2! which he loved, but the movie was 2 hours long and by the end, even Mater couldn't keep my three year old's attention, and we started Artoo on solids this week!  This is a big deal! So happy he handled it well, and really enjoyed it.  Every little milestone for him seems so monumental for us.  

B-rad has been busy with renos in the basement, it's really coming together! i can't wait - the basement will be our studio/den/no kids allowed area for music and art and general mom and dad down time!!

oh, and I got a new Tattoo!


Isn't she beautiful? i call her Clementine.  <3  I got it with my BFF who got a lovely flock of birds on her wrist at the same time.  awww.

Holidays are coming to a close here at Casa Diva, but i still have some guest posts for you - Today's challenge is another wonderful Guest - the ├╝ber talented Carole Ohl at Open Seed Arts! Another great thing about this Zentangle community - Carole and i are helping each other out this week!  I needed a guest post, and she needs YOU!!  :) 

Weekly Challenge #32: Zentangle is for Everyone

Zentangle is for everyone!

I love that every week of the Diva challenge, we get to see each person’s unique and wonderful interpretation. It’s an stunning affirmation of the natural beauty that lives in all of us. I know, it’s kind of mushy, but it’s true.

I was recently asked to participate as an “Artist of the Month” by a new local restaurant. Each month Amicis gives their wall space to a local artist.

Instead of showing just my own work, it seemed like an opportunity to showcase that Zentangle truly is ‘art for everyone.’

One section of the show will feature a wall of Zentangle tiles that have been created by different artists, using the same four tangles.

This challenge contains an invitation to participate with me in this little show. (You can, of course, participate in the challenge even if you don’t want to be in the actual show.)


The challenge: Use a 3-1/2 x 3-1/2 inch tile. If you have an official Zentangle tile, great, if not, that’s ok too. The frames I will be using fit this size tile. Use any string you like with these four tangles: Pais (by Mikee Huber), Zedbra (by Laura Harms and Margaret Bremner), Keenees (by Donna Hornsby), and Baton (by moi) to create a response to this challenge.

If you are so inclined to participate in the actual show, please do them in black and white, send your tile to me, and I will hang it in the show.

Carole Ohl
Realistically, I can’t send your tile back to you (as I am not very adept at clerical tasks) and I’m not sure what fun they will see after the show, but I know they will find their way to wherever they belong in the world. Send your tile (by August 10) to: Carole Ohl, 2520 Evelyn Drive, Dayton OH, 45409.  Have fun and thank you! Thanks, Laura, for letting me loose on your challenge this week.

Carole is a graphic designer by trade and is also a beadweaver who designs
and teaches beadweaving classes. She became a Certified Zentangle Teacher in
May, 2010, and teaches this “art for everyone” in the Dayton Ohio area.

and now - the fine print:


If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(


37 comments:

  1. That was alot of fun, I like being prodded to use tangles that I tend to avoid (well most of those except pais and baton, which I do use..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed doing the challenges! Finally had some time, so I jumped right on this one! It has been great to see the different individuals put up their challenge ideas. Thanks to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carol, for a great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carole is one of the most dynamic tanglists that I know and I love her work. I wanted to resist the temptation to try and copy her style. Tough assignment when it comes out less beautiful but that is the way it goes. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharing my square sounds like fun but I am not sure it is good enough... I will send it but you don't have to use it :)

    Nice Tattoo and Yeah for solid food :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Carole for the challenge ~ I'm your biggest fan ~ just love your work ~ my humble attempt is in the mail ~ Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carole, thanks for the challenge. I've never used most of these tangles. Still undecided about sending it in...may do another one later this week.

    Glad to hear, Laura about Artoo on solid food, and take care of yourself and your back!
    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got mine done...don't think they're good enough for a show...but I enjoyed the challenge! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geesh! I did it again...I don't understand why my link posts twice!! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone who said: "Mine's not good enough..." my challenge is to send it anyway... because... it IS good enough!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Carole, I enjoy all four tangle choices! I hope my ZT reaches you in time as it takes 10 to 14 days to reach the US from Tassie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've completed my tile. And for what its worth I have put it in the post. No guarantee it will make it from New Zealand on time. Fly little tile... fly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a great chance to try some tangles that I've admired but never tried. And a reminder to use Keenees again. Perfect summer tangle:) Also Carole, I love the context of your upcoming show. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Commiserations on the back problem. Chiropractor's are no fun and so expensive. (at least here in the U.K. they are). Glad you've been out and about though.

    The guest challenge was, as always, great fun and all new tangles to this learner too.

    Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in agreement with the Diva: IT'S ALL GOOD!!!! That is the beautiful thing about Zentangle! Showing them in the exhibit is like all of us being in one place at the same time, just like the slideshows. I'm excited and grateful for the opportunity to see/feel all those little pieces of paper with all your creative energy dancing on the walls with each other!! "It's not how it looks, it's how if feels!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't expect to like this but once I got into it I was quite pleased. I'll be sending mine in to you Carole! And with any luck, I may be able to come see the show. Let us know when it's up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The show runs from September 5-October 1. You are all invited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I liked this challenge! All four patterns were fun - I'll be incorporating them in future tangles - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun 4 tangles to use together! Thanks for the challenge, Carole, and have fun with your show. Hope your back feels better soon, Laura. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, this is my first time doing a Tangle Weekly Challenge and I loved it, but I linked to the wrong thing in the list and then got it right I think. I don't know how to delete the first incorrect link above, though. SORRY!!! As far as the challenge goes--it was great fun, I learned four new patterns, and it really was a challenge! Win, win, win!!! Thanks so much for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can wait to get home from work to start on this Challenge. Looks fun from looking at Linda's and Carol Ohl's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry fellow "tanglettes", I just realized that I accidentally linked to my fairy post (#22) and not my "Zentangle is for Everyone" post. I redid it and my second entry (#35) has the correct link. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Obviously several of us are having problems with our "linkies" I see that Mercury is nearing it's retrograde period: we'll us that as an excuse : )

    Laura, sorry you've been "down in your back," as we say in the mountains, and misssing out on holiday fun. Looks like you got in SOME Fun Stuff, anyway.
    Glad to hear Artoo's taking solids: maybe easier to swallow safely, and less risk of pneumonia?

    And Carole: Thanks for the great Challenge, and for making me Stretch!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lots going on in your life. Laura..... Artoo and solid food is a major plus (bless his cute little self!!), your back woes not so, but thanks as always for keeping the flame of tangling alive with this challenge and for inviting guest challengers to help you!

    Carole is a most generous jewel to share her art space with the rest of us, and to make a real show out of the tiles we share with her. Any one of them might not be a spectacle in itself, but think of them all together on one wall - Z-Power!!!! ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  26. OK, I did it and have 2 to choose from. Carole, if you want me to send you one, just comment on my blog and it will be on its way. Thanks to both of you for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't wait to see all the tiles together! Mine will be in the mail tomorrow :o)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good and very helpful Challenge. Thank you, Carol! It was not easy but I learned 4 new patterns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I enjoyed trying tangles that I hadn't used before. Thank you Carole! I'll have my tile in the mail soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm starting to get the tiles in the mail, so thanks, everyone. This is like Christmas! I've worked out a special way of framing the tiles, so am getting excited about the show. Thank you, thank you! Can't wait to see how many arrive and how they will party all together on the wall!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Carole for a great challenge and thank you Laura for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The last few months I experienced a total ZT-block. It felt like I lost a very dear friend. This is my first ZT since April and I loved making it. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Carol (and Laura), thanks for another stimulating challenge and for such a gracious opportunity! You were right in your comment above, Carol, that the zentangle is "how it feels." That's exactly the way I described it in my blog post. It took 2.5 times to get what I wanted, and it will be mailed to you soon. :) Diana Hirsch, CZT6

    ReplyDelete
  34. Since everything else in my life is running a day late why not the challenge too! Thanks Carole, for the interesting mix of tangles - always fun to see what develops. Good luck with the show.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well this is a good chance to get back into tangle mode. I have been lazy all summer. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!