Monday, August 8, 2011

Weekly Challenge #34

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
This week at casa Diva was fairly non-eventful - which is awesome.  I like it when there's no medical crises or drama... pretty hum drum.  Chewie has been working hard at potty training - i won't say we're 100% of the way there, but we're pretty darn close!  and that is soooo exciting.  Who ever thought that potty training would give me so much happiness.   Ha!

Artoo looking adorable as ever

Back when B-rad had time off from work, he didn't get much B-rad time, as he was working on the basement and looking after the kids while i got my back fixed up... so, to show my appreciation and to give him some much needed down time, i arranged with some friends of ours to send him out to their farm for the weekend.

No kids.  No responsibilities.  Just acre after acre of open prairies and swarms of giant mutant killer monster mosquitoes.  He had a great time, and one of the text messages he sent me said, simply; "I AM a mosquito bite"... poor guy.

Chewie loves taking pictures on my phone
On the home front, my lovely sister in law offered to take Chewie to the lake with the family!  So off he went with his brand new life jacket and his very exciting brand new Spiderman suitcase.  i think he was almost MORE excited about the suitcase.  hm.

So it was just Artoo and i this weekend... and i was BORED!  i had these ideas of doing some painting (the art kind, not the house kind - although i DO hope to be doing the house kind THIS week) or getting some things done, but wouldn't y'know little mister has been teething all weekend.  Hope that little tooth pops through soon! So, i didn't get as much done as i thought i would, but i did manage to make three batches of purees.  I can't remember if i've written on this blog that we've started solids, but he eats like a champion!  and i was so worried!!

Me and my boys
so that's pretty much the bulk of this week.

Well, i'm glad you all had a chance to dip your toes into the new tangle, Pendrills.  Getting new tangles is like Christmas!  I'll admit that i found it a challenge, but i think i'll give it a few more tries.

This week's challenge is a repeat guest-er!  you may remember her from Week 30's Challenge (Found Here) - that's right! it's none other that the amazing Christina Vandervlist from the blog stART she was so generous to share TWO challenges!

So - i'll turn it over to Christina - Happy Challenge Monday everyone! ;)

 Weekly Challenge #34: "Opposites Attract"

Hi again! It’s Christina, a.k.a. stART. The point of a challenge is to stretch our capacities. So guess what? This week, we stretch!

Create your string using EITHER straight lines alone, or solely curving shapes and then fill the string with its opposite!

If you used the straight-line string, fill it with curves and orbs and other soft tangles.
If you used the curvy string, try to fill it using only grid-based and angular tangles.

I’ve done it up both ways simply because it was so much fun!




I hope you enjoy this challenge, too.

Maybe you’ll notice some great tangles you haven’t been using when you choose them by their graphic qualities alone…

Christina is a CZT from southern Ontario, who is also an international designer, author and instructor of beadwork.  Her blog provides not only a look into her Zentangle artwork, but also a Zentangle Glossary and instructions to the tangles she has designed.  She teaches Zentangle to share the many benefits with her students and provide them with the means to explore their own creativity and access their potential.

and now - the fine print:
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

33 comments:

  1. Thanks, Laura! And, teething aside, glad you got some one-on-one time with Artoo!

    And, thanks, Christina! Good to see you back, and this does look Challenging. Now, which is more of a STRE-E-ETCH for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this challenge and can't wait to get started on it tonight!!! Thanks so much Christina and of course our Diva. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a challenge I am really going to enjoy....some direction but also open to many interpretations!!!! Thanks Christina!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Christina!
    Laura, so glad you had some time with Artoo, and Brad had some R&R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This challenge sounds like fun.

    Linda, your 'lil Artoo have the cutest big eyes. I love the expressions in his face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope I can get this one done this week, last week with school/work starting and finishing up some "BIG" projects I seemed to have "little" time for creativity.

    Yeah for uneventful times.... sorry you were "bored" but better bored than medical issues right :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat challenge! The curvy-string-straight-tangles is how I do 90% of my Zentangling anyway, so that was easy. The other way was more difficult :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this challenge was fun! I will have to try the other option too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this challenge several weeks ago as I was perusing other Zentangle sites and people kept referring to this site. So this week I decided to be brave and participate myself! After accidentally finding the Zentangle site and all my exploration of the other wonderful creative people who tangle, I have to say, I'm hooked. I find it fun, relaxing, challenging or simple depending on my mood, quick and rewarding. Some results are more successful than others, but... that's art, right? So, I imagine you'll be seeing me back again....and again! It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, my phone fired too soon on my first upload, so the second link by my name works. Will upload the other one I did by computer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who would have ever thought about opposites attracting in tangles??? Great challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've posted by piece. I only tried the straight lines with circles....I need to try the curved lines now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a fun one. I hope I can make some time to do the other one later this week. Thanks Laura and Christina. Cari

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was as much fun to do as I thought it was going to be. I know I'll be doing more of these this week! Thanks, Christina and Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first challenge and first official Zentangle. It was lovely, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed this challenge! Thanks, Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had FQT...Family Quality TIme...I loved this challenge, it's how I do a lot of my tangles! Thanks Laura and Christina x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great challenge, I immediately decided a circular string would work nicely with angular tangles. (I'm red-faced here, though, I apparently entered on the correct challenge AND on last weeks - sigh - may I get a little help removing my error? THANKS)

    btw - love seeing you with the little guys and I can empathize with your husband, I am a fave of mosquitoes everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the pics with the boys. So sweet when they are little.
    Fun challenge...Thanks gals!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was fun. Plus, I got "experience." Thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed this challenge! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just posted my first challenge tangles. Love your blog and I look forward to doing more challenges. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. had to dig out the tangle book, enjoyed it...thanks, have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pics with the boys! Thanks again for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another fun challenge! Thanks, Laura & Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for another great challenge, Christina & Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi hi, Sorry for the 2 entries, the #51 one doesn't work, sorry, so I've posted at my blog and re linked here, THANKS for the challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was fun!! I only did one of the choices, but I'm sure I'll go back and do this more.
    Diana Hirsch

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was out of town and away from computers this week so I'm a little late in getting mine done, but it was fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been missing you guys...must make time to tangle! MUST! Great Challenge! I hope you enjoy my late contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi I'm new - to both blogging and zentangles.
    Love your challenges :)

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!