Monday, August 15, 2011

Weekly Challenge #35

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

This was a big week in the diva household... we ACTUALLY left the house!! My mom convinced me, after a month of staying at home*, to get out and do something with what little is left of our Saskatchewan summer.
*For a while there it seemed that whenever we'd leave the house to do something fun, Artoo would find himself in the hospital with pneumonia.  Needless to say, i was/am a little paranoid

Tuesday morning we went downtown set up some chairs and watched the Exhibition Parade - Saskatoon's answer to the fair/tradeshow.

Artoo and Grandma in deep thought

Old Timey bicycles are FUN
 Chewie had a great time, he loved everything about it! the horses, the dancers, the marching bands, the cars, the fire engines, the old timey bicycle, the miniature ponies, the clowns... Three is a magical age for parades...

Chewie can haz flag!

Chewie liked the horses
we made it through the day without any terrible medical consequences... so the next day i took Chewie to my mom's and i joined a friend at the farmer's market with Artoo - where i purchased and sampled some delicious fruits and veggies... mmm.... and on Thursday i took Chewie to daycare then Artoo and i ran around town doing errands. 

I also got some painting done (the house kind, not the art kind) in our basement, just in time for my dear friend Saviabella to arrive on Thursday night.  She was in town because she magically scored some free Media tickets to the opening night of Wicked: The Musical - and she took me along as her date!! SQUEE!!! 
wicked drinks
it was a full week! 

today's challenge is the last guest post that i have lined up! (i'm back in the challenge biz as of next monday!)  But it's a gooder - by one of my favourite Zentangle artists, and fellow Saskatooner, Margaret Bremner.   She can be found in many places online, but she blogs at Enthusiastic Artist.  She and i took our CZT training together in May of 2010 - and actually planned a Zentangle weekend retreat the following October that i didn't get to attend because Artoo made his debut 8 weeks early! I gave birth that day!   ;)  


Weekly Challenge #35: "Tile on a Tile"
Hi all! Margaret here, a.k.a the Enthusiastic Artist.

When every one in a Zentangle class has completed a tile it's great fun to have them place their tiles together and ooh and aah about this and that. This little exercise really demonstrates how we are all individual and unique. Even with the same string, same tangles and same instructions, everyone's creation is their personal interpretation. One thing I notice is the amount of border people decide to leave. Some leave a generous white area around the edge of the tile and others want to fill as much of the paper as possible while still leaving a little something.

A while ago I decided to do a tile with a REALLY generous border, and a string of course. It looked a tad empty. I began tangling the intended border area too. It started to look like a mini tile on a regular tile. That was interesting! I did more.

This week's challenge is to create a "Tile on a Tile". Place the dots way in from the corners and leave a very generous border. Add your pencil string over the entire tile. You'll need to think about which tangles are darker and which are lighter, to help define the mini-tile, although shading will help too. You may want a light mini-tile on a dark background, or a dark mini-tile on a light background. Here are two sample tiles, one of each variety. For more examples check out my Monday blog post too: www.enthusiasticartist.blogspot.com

Happy tangling! I can't wait to see what you create!
"shading" - Tangles: Betweed, Caviar, Cockles 'n' Musesels, Finery, Florez, Flukes, Keenees, Lotus Pods, Partay, Tripoli

"TonT BonW3" - Tangles: Beadlines, Coaster, Ogen, Striping, Strircles, and dots and lines

Margaret Bremner is an artist, illustrator, Certified Zentangle Teacher and occasional writer, as well as wife and mother. She's not much of a housekeeper. Margaret has been making art since she was very small and never seriously considered other career paths. Mandalas were her focus for over 15 years and she encountered Zentangle on the internet in early 2009 while living in China. It totally clicked with her love of detail, pattern and the graphic quality of drawing.


and now - the fine print:
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(

31 comments:

  1. Oh Laura.... "Wicked" I am so envious. What a wonderful week you have described. I am happy that you have had a bit of a break.

    Margaret I really appreciate the challenge. As I post my first attempt I see that I made an error in my thinking. I realize that the tile will be much more interesting if the busy-ness, is contrasted with a more open opposite. I am excited to try again now that I have seen what I did wrong. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This challenge sounds like it's going to be fun. I'm at work now, but I look in this website first think in the morning to see what Laura have in store for the next challenge. I started making presketches of my challenges on a scrap piece of paper and when I get home, I do my actual zentangle for the week since my materials are at home. I have two sets of tangle patterns and several sets of pens and tiles or paper. Some I should keep at work and the rest at home, so if I'm a work all day, I can pull out my materials on my break and tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I messed up on my first URL, but can't seem to delete it...sorry...this is all new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another great challenge. These challenges really help me stretch myself, besides being just plain fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a fun challenge Margaret. And, it was a bit of a challenge. lol I'm glad you got to enjoy some time outdoors with your boys and fun with a friend, Diva. Since I'm fairly new here I've never done one of YOUR challenges and I'm looking forward to it next week. Until then, enjoy your "challenge break".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also a newbie to Zentangle, found and joined the site on the 3rd August this year, it is so therapeutic. Thank you so much for all your hard work, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry folks my first link was working but now it sends you to the wrong page. I have had that happen a couple of times..... it is frustrating. Please forgive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of picture in a picture - which I've always been a fan of. Nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always take something away from these challenges for future exploration. Thanks! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoops, my link has gone a bit wonky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for another fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I reeeaaally likes this one! I like to use both open/white tangles and dark ones, so organising these ones was fun! Love the challenges.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great challenge and a terrific technique to use over and over. Diva, so enjoyed your pix from your great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great challenge this week...and so many pretty tangles!

    Could I make a suggestion? I've turned off my word verification and set my blog to have blog owner approval before posting. I think it saves time for those who want to leave comments, and because the blog owner has to approve the comment first, it cuts out the spammers. Just a thought...I know typing in that crazy "word" takes time. Several of the challenges I participate in have requested that word verification be turned off...and it really does help out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for hosting these challenges! I'm new to doing zentangles and am having lots of fun. These are great in relieving stress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura, thanks again and Again for creating this forum! and Margaret, Thanks for a terrific challenge! It's not even Saturday (it's not even FRIDAY) and I've posted 3 tiles for this week! I MUST have been having fun : D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for a great challenge Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for such a wonderful challenge ~ loved tile within a tile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these challenges, I've only participated in what maybe 3? They are enjoyable, relaxing, and I get so inspired not only by the examples in the challenge but then by all the creativity of fellow participants. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much lovely work out there in response to this week's challenge. Well done you all! x

    So glad you've been out and about with the family.
    THey look as though it was a fun time. x x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just posted my two challenges. These are fun to do and look forward to what the next one is going to be. Laura, you make Mondays a little nicer, knowing there's a new challenge idea awaits. I also posted a "Bleedthrough" art like Molossus does. These are fun too. Maybe you should make this idea as one of the challenges, but talk to Molossus first.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Finally! Finally, finally, finally! Margaret, this was an evil challenge.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made it finally, just under the wire! Great challenge, Margaret. Laura, I love how you share your weeks with us....FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just about made it!! very challenging, got me banging my head againts the wall :D
    Keep it coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This one was tough. I did two tiles earlier in the week, but didn't feel they captured the assignment. Finally finished one yesterday while camping that is "ok." ;-) Thanks for the challenges. Cari

    ReplyDelete
  27. sorry to have two posts....I don't know why my first one didn't "stick". I was just looking at others and checked my first one, then realized it wasn't coming up! I really liked this challenge so I hope my second posting stays on...even though it is Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Late again... I'll have to work on that. Thanks Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I drew this and actually had it done on time. Just now got the pic up.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Don't know why it took my so long to get this scanned and posted, but figured I'd post it up anyway. Fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!