Monday, September 12, 2011

Weekly Challenge #39

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • Last week's challenge slideshow is late, my apologies. Oh dearie,  I hope to have it up and running soon!!
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds last week.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Okay! Welcome back to this week's challenge.  All is well on the home front at Casa Diva.
the boys enjoying the last few hot days
red leaves already

It's been super hot the past few days so we've been playing outside, making the best of the weather.  The creeper on my back deck is all changing colour (red, green, orange and gold) - and the nights are cool... it's beginning to smell like fall... and i love fall. it's my favourite season, sadly its very short in The Skatch.  My husband told me the other day that they're predicting the big S word (SNOW!) in October! sigh.  oh well.

So, before we get going on this week's challenge - i have some exciting news!  The challenge has a sponsor! WOOT WOOT!! what does that mean? well, it means PRIZES for you!!

i was contacted a while ago by the wonderful folks at CropStop! who sent me some their Zentangle Pocketz Pages to check out, and they're pretty great!  Each page holds 6 3.5 x 3.5 inch square Zentangle tiles!!

Pocket Pagez!
 i just popped the pages into a three ring binder and slid in my tiles, and PRESTO! storage and display, all in one.  And because they are so wonderful at CropStop! i get to give away a set of pages to one lucky challenge participant for the next six weeks!  WOO HOO!!  **details and rules of the giveaway will follow the challenge...

Weekly Challenge #39: "Love is all you Need"
This weekend marked the Ten Year anniversary of the tragedy of 9/11 in New York City.  Now, as you may know, i'm Canadian - but i don't think there was a soul on the planet who was not moved and struck by the act of sheer hatred that rocked us all.  I remember where i was when i heard - i was home sick, and my mom called me from the University and said; "Laura, turn on the news.  Something terrible happened."  I watched them play and replay the footage of the first plane hitting the tower, and then someone screamed: "There's another plane!"

I couldn't believe it.  I still can hardly believe it.  Such devastation and loss and destruction, and for what?  Hate.

But you can't fight hate with hate.  It must be with love.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, 
but only by love; this is the eternal rule
Buddha

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
Ghandi

He that loveth not, knoweth not God; for God is love.   
John 4:8

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have really lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond 

All you need is love.  Love is all you need.
John Lennon

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral,
begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy.
Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.
Through violence you may murder the liar,
but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth.
Through violence you may murder the hater,
but you do not murder hate.
In fact, violence merely increases hate.
So it goes.
Returning violence for violence multiplies violence,
adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.



And in the darkness of all that hatred, we did find love.  We saw it in the brave and heroic men and women who first responded to the scene, we saw it in those who reached out, those who held perfect strangers hands, we saw it in the act of rebuilding....  Love is the ultimate force in the Universe.  Love heals, love gives us hope, love endures...Love conquers all.  
All you need is.....

So, this week the challenge is Love.  Whatever it sparks in you, however you want to interpret it.   As long as you do so with the spirit of love, because through love we have the ability to change the world.  


To be entered in the Zentangle Pocket Pagez giveaway, the rules are this:
1. You must have entered a tile or ZIA in this challenge
2. You MUST enter a "SITE-SPECIFIC" URL in the linkey machine.  Links to home pages or to past entries will not be accepted.  If it ends in .com or the like, it's not site specific. (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)
3. Leave a comment saying which number you are in the linkey machine
4. If you are emailing your submission, leave a comment saying your piece was emailed 
This contest will close as of MIDNIGHT CST on Saturday.  I will use a random number generator to select the winner from the comments on Sunday.  I will announce the winner in next week's challenge!  This contest is open to everyone, including overseas!! yay!!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. :(


**The contest is capped at participant #64 - but you may still participate in the challenge by adding your links. :)

47 comments:

  1. I haven't entered yet, but wanted to tell you how much I LOVE your tile. It looks SO 3-dimensional. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm number one ;-) When I think of Love, I think of family. I've entered a ZIA of my daughter's name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be a very creative challenge and it's a great one! Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Laura. Your message brought a tear... and a prayer that love will indeed be the catalyst to change the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I just want you to know that your tile is gorgeous! Hummmmmm this one has me thinking.... I feel sort of like a copycat because I used love in the center too......I am trying to figure out how to say what I want to in tangle. I have a lot to think about. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post and fitting theme. I lived in NY when 911 happened. It was so awful. I almost can't bare to think about it. Your post gave me goose bumps. May we never forget.
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  7. This challenge took me to a place I didn't expect, but thank you for making me remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #9. Thanks Laura, your beautiful tile shows spirit and the love of creating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very appropriate challenge. I'm excited to see how people interpret this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am number 12. Thanks for this beautiful message and challenge. ~ LOVE IS THE ANSWER ~
    Your tile is astonishing by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops! I forgot to mention that I'm #12! Love those Pocketz Pages!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm #14 and had some fun with this theme. Since I'm new to tangling, I'm going back and working through each of the earlier challenges in addition to the current week - some are more successful than others, but I'm loving the process!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura, I'm #15. Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to honor the outstandingly loving people in my life with a tangle. This has been such a wonderful challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many beautiful tangles this week.So many inspiring thoughts with them as well-we should remember how to love one another.I'm number 16

    ReplyDelete
  15. 18 till I die :)
    Love!! so powerful, so strong, it can break barriers, heal, cherish...
    Love is endless. Thanks for another great challenge

    ReplyDelete
  16. Number 19 here. Thanks, Laura, for your very thought-provoking post and an opportunity to try something new--expressing a concept with a zentangle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Laura, for the timeless reminder and another wonderful opportunity to act on it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dilip and I really scratched our brains to try and come up with something which expresses deep love.

    Malathi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for a great way to look at such a horrible day. I'm number 23! Hope the snow stays away a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Laura, this was such a thought provoking challenge. It probably touched a deeper nerve than we will ever know. Not a bad thing. We need to stop and think once in a while. Thanks! I am number 5

    ReplyDelete
  21. I 'LOVED' this challenge, especially since it's the first one I've entered! Thanks, Diva :) I'm number 24

    ReplyDelete
  22. A little slow, but rolling in at #25. What a perfect challenge for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for remembering 9/11 in this tangle of Love, and now......I'm sending you some Love from the Netherlands.:) #26

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Laura, I loved your post and your tile! After seeing all the news on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I was so glad to focus on love. I am #27. Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Laura, This was quite an emotional tangle for me in a very personal experience. Thank you for the challenge. I am #28 on your list.
    We all need a little love.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the wonderful challenge this week. tangling is a great way to find peace and restore faith - no matter what the situation. I'm #33 this time! I really loved your tile (no pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am #34 on the linkey machine. Thanks for this great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks, Laura, for the lovely challenge. I am #38. Cari

    ReplyDelete
  29. OK. I needed to make another one. Now I am also 39. (In my dreams.)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you Laura for this fantastic challenge.
    With your Challenges you manage to bring people together from all over the world.
    I am #10

    ReplyDelete
  31. This was fun, i posted my hubbie valentines card form my blog thingie.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This was harder than I thought it would be. I'm glad to have these challenges to push me. Thanks Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such great art!!! I started Zentangles in May 2011 and have the addiction already! I love your spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. #47. Thank you for the challenge - a wonderful theme.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sorry!
    I left a comment and didn't do the word verification!! My bad!
    Thank you Laura for hosting this awesome blog! You are awesome and I love making the tangles so!!Don't we all get addicted? I know I am!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loving this so much! Keeps me challenged ;)
    #51

    ReplyDelete
  37. In at #52 - very interesting challenge to interpret - very surprised at the process that evolved for me on this one. Always fun and glad for the chance to explore more with zentangle - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I get so busy drawing, that I forget to post my tangles. I feel like I'm learning so much from visiting all the great blogs! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's so amazing that you gave us this opportunity to put some Zentangle love into such a good purpose. It's been hard to look back on 9/11, and remembering the power of love puts a whole new perspective on it. The stories that are newly emerging of love, courage, and compassion have made this anniversary so very moving. I thought about this every day all week, and finally at the last minute, was able to final put my vision into a fast rendition. I am #57.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm #59 (wishing that I was prompt enough to be in the top 20, but life just doesn't allow that) and just want to thank you again for these challenges. They are a great excuse to get my tangle practice in.... and are wonderful to stretch my mind! I have the pocket pages already and they are a wonderful way to keep and display my tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm in at #58. Thank you. Laura, for a very thoughtfull and thought provoking challenge. Hope all is well with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I LOVE this challenge. It made me think of those I LOVE. I LOVE the page protectors above; I have been looking for those for a long time. I LOVE this site that gives us a place to share our LOVE of Zentangle and all that stuff. :) Diana Hirsch #60

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great Challenge! Thank you! I am #61.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great Challenge, I posted my first try at the challenge. still working on my second. this was very special to me. My brother worked at the WTC thank goodness he survived. I worked a couple blocks away. It was a day neither of us will forget. oh I almost forgot I am # 62

    ReplyDelete
  45. Late to the party again. Love what everyone has done with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!