Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekly Challenge #55


Happy Monday everyone!

First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Well, it took most of the week, but i am feeling much better now.  I'm not going to lie, i felt awful for a good 3 - 4 days.  Thanks for all your well wishes.

 We finally got some snow here in The Skatch.  And the cold weather to go with it... the bulk of the week we had temperatures of -50C or so with windchills. Brr.

BRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrr........
 In true Saskatchewan form, we didn't let a little cold weather keep us from pretending to be at the beach eating ice cream!

Ice cream!

Artoo has some frozen fruit instead
I've also spent some time this week working in my Tangle A Day calendar from Carole Ohl. I got it on Monday last week - so, i'll be working backwards as well as forwards.


It's been really fun playing in this calendar! Thanks Carole!
I also got nominated this week for The Most Fascinating Blog of 2011 in the Teaching category by Online Phd! Voting has started and is going for a few more days.  If you feel like casting your vote, you can click on the badge on the right. :)

Weekly Challenge #55 "String Theory v. VIII: Moebius Trip"

Thanks, everyone, for your submissions to last week's Purple Haze challenge. I spoke a bit about my son Artoo's disorder, Moebius Syndrome; a congenital nerve disorder affecting cranial VI and VII nerves controlling the lateral movement of his face.  Moebius is a spectrum disorder - so some cases are more severe than others.  We've been extremely lucky that Artoo's symptoms haven't been too difficult to adjust to.   (follow the link above to read about our story)

In last week's challenge i told you that Moebius Syndrome Awareness day is in January, it's actually tomorrow on January 24th!  In honour of my little dude, my sister-in-law and i dyed my hair purple!

It's dark violet with streaks of bright purple!! so fun!

Anyway, on to the actual challenge.  To raise awareness for this disorder, use the Moebius Syndrome Foundation's logo as your string, or create a moebius strip out of paper and tangle that... or some other awesome creative thing that i haven't thought of.  

Here's two versions of the logo for you to work with.  You can print them or trace them or draw your own.



Now here are my two version of the above tiles... all tangled up!




ALSO - please wear Purple on January 24th for Moebius Syndrome Awareness Day!! Do it for Artoo, cuz he's so cute - and is the youngest CZT around!! (lol, i was pregnant with Artoo when i was certified!)
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)
Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address)
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine.  please? for me??

39 comments:

  1. This is for moebius, and the sweet wonderful eyes that give the smile to Artoo's face. Purple it is. Thank you Laura, for always giving a challenge that means that we open our hearts to new things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with LeeAnn! Thanks for another fun challenge, and love seeing your purple hair. Also, a big thanks for mentioning and sharing your lovely calendar art! I just made a Flickr group if anyone wants to share their calendar diaries: http://www.flickr.com/groups/tangleadaycalendar/

    Again, congrats on your nomination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #4. I realized after I spent time tangling that I accidentally flipped one side of the logo, so sorry for that. Here I was hoping my freehand drawing would be nice to have. Either way, the logo, signature area and outline is in purple for little Artoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is for Artoo!! Thanks for the challenge Laura! Those doctors were certainly wrong. I've never seen a sweeter smile!! Melodie Dowell vicmelhorse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all you do, and another wonderful challenge!
    Sadelle Wiltshire, CZT #7, Putney, VT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great challenge Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome challenge - thanks for the template (I spent an hour trying to draw that design, and that was WITH guidelines!). I'll be wearing purple today :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great challenge, Laura! Hugs and kisses to Artoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Artoo looks like he is enjoying your "beach party" in -50 degree weather!
    I am actually wearing purple today!! And I'm glad to do it!
    This prompt looks like it will be fun! Thank you for all you do, for us and for Moebius Syndrome.
    YOU and Artoo are awesome!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am wearing my purple and sending warm thoughts your way. Thanks for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so enjoying your website! This one was a tuffie for me. I'm laughing at myself because I don't have a stitch of purple clothing to my name. I went and joined your flickr group too. Both your kids are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My only purple is amethyst earings! So I'll just wear them....Oh, and I'll keep my hat on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see that someone has posted their number above. If there still is some contest, I'm #19. Yes, I have been away from Zentangle in far too long, and this was a great challenge to come back to, or to finally complete, I should say. I drew my string by hand and it is...well...stop by and see if I did a good job freehanding it. Inspiring! I want to do another, tangling inside the string, but for that I may need to use the template!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally I have posted my contribution to the challenge in real time! I still have much to learn about blogging, but at least now I can participate with everyone else. Thank you Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for another thought provoking challenge and learning experience. I wore purple yesterday to support Artoo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great challenge this week...honoring Artoo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Posting my Moebius in honor of Artoo. I enjoyed this challenge very much. I am new to using color... and you can tell! If I have time before the deadline I may add another.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! I loved this challenge. Drawing the logo was a little tricky, but it is a fascinating shape. Love to Artoo and Chewie too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a great challenge...had to do it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing your story, and Artoo's. I loved the challenge. Hope you like the ZIA.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love doing these challenges. Thank you for posting them each week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just started with zentangle art. I love to find this group.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Laura - I just went back and read your article/blog on your journey with Artoo - what a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing it - he's clearly a special little guy, and lucky as anything to have parents who are as loving as you and your husband (and is likely spoiled by big bro!). Congratulations on your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute, cute kids! Thanks for sharing.
    Wow this was a tough one, but I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now I posted mine! For a beginner like me, this is #4 for me, I think this was a bit more difficult, but I like the challenge. I am so hooked on Zentangle. Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved this challenge! Thanks alot! You are so creative, every time you are coming up with something new! Chapeau! love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Finally got it here now! Nice thought to use the foundation's logo as the string, brilliant idea!! Nice and unique challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like the twistyness of the logo! Hope you've had a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your weekly challenges - they are so much fun! Has the slide show for challenge #54 been posted? Where do I find that? As you can tell I am new to this "challenge stuff"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry Cathy, you can't find the slideshow because i haven't put it up yet. watch for it this week!

      Delete
  30. I love this site and really love the challenges! I've been planning on participating for a while, but since I just started scanning my work in, Moebius is my very first entry. Now that I'm finally up and rolling though, it won't be my last. (Sorry if I added myself to another challenge, I kept hitting the tab button and didn't realize I was getting moved around!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just plugged in at #65...but I notice the numbers shift sometimes, so I'm not sure if I'll stay there. I really enjoyed this challenge. Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amy, the numbers can shift because i delete the links that are broken, lead to nowhere, or to a home page instead of a site specific URL.

      it's not really important to leave the number you're at anyway, i was doing that for a giveaway, but i'm not doing the giveaway at the moment.

      Delete
  32. My daughter Caroline drew and tangled a Meobius Syndrome Foundation logo this week, too! I was so happy when she asked me to post it. I put up a blog entry a few hours ago...and just reslized I forgot to add it to the Mister Linky list. But it's there now!
    ~Amy in TN

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just added my Challenge number 55. I like the shape of this string. It reminds me of the mobious scarf I first learned to crochet over 5 years ago and now I'm getting ready to weave a mobious scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sorry this is late...I know it may not get on the slideshow, but I wanted to try to get on so I could do my part on the awareness of Moebius Syndrome...Laura, I so admire you for your determination and grit!! Keep on keeping on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Boy! I am really zoned out! I posted my preview instead of the final blog so please forgive me and if I knew how to delete the first one, I would.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!