Monday, January 30, 2012

Weekly Challenge #56


Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Thank you everyone who emailed me or msged me to let me know that they were wearing purple for Artoo this week.  I was so overwhelmed by the support of our friends and family, and it made me so happy that we have this wonderful community for me to draw strength from.  Thank you so much!
my wacky family
 Here we are, all sporting our purple.  You can't tell, but the boys are wearing shirts with purple writing.

Another awesome thing happened this week - i received these letters in the mail informing me that my student loans were now paid in full.  Honestly, i felt like throwing a party, or at the very least, having them framed!

NO MORE STUDENT LOANS!!! best day ever!!
 Chewie and i had some fun colouring with markers this week, you can kinda see how Mama did a bit of tangling on the back side of the colouring book.... oh scallops. ;)

Look Mama, i coloured all of dem green!
 Mister Artoo has been a drool machine, still working on those eye teeth.   Hard work, teething.

so freakin' adorable...
I started taking a few shifts a month at the bra and lingerie shop in the small town where i grew up, it's about 20 minutes out of town - it's been a nice change of pace to spend all day speaking to adults.

Also, thank you to everyone who voted for my blog last week!  i still haven't heard what the results are, but they said they'd notify me by email once the votes were tallied. 


Weekly Challenge #56: "Non Dominatrix* v.2"
This week we are going to revisit a "Fun" challenge from last year.  I first posted this challenge back in March, and this was actually the post that got my blog nominated for Most Fascinating Blog of 2011. 

Those of you who have been around since the beginning may be groaning out loud, or getting excited... i'm not really sure.  The reaction to this one was pretty strong.  A lot of people really didn't like it.... but maybe i'm scaring you.

*I hmmed and hawwed about whether or not the title of this challenge is too racy, but i thought that dominatrices are about control, and this challenge is all about giving up that control.  If you find this title a tad on the risqué side, sorry 'bout that.  :)  Feel free to re-name it on your own blog posts


As the somewhat racy challenge name implies - this week the CHALLENGE (and challenge is the totally appropriate word here) is to do an ENTIRE tile or ZIA using only your non dominant hand.  As i'm right handed, i did my string, tangles, and shading with my left hand.

I'm not going to lie, it will be difficult.  It was for me.  Everything about this process felt foreign - but if i can venture one step further i'm going to say that the REAL challenge is to find a place within yourself where it is okay to let go of the control and let yourself make something that isn't "pretty"
and that is something that is truly hard to do.

Using your non-dominant hand will also engage the non-dominant side of your brain, something that journalers and artists have done for years.

I'm actually quite proud of this left handed goodness.  let's see what you can do!

Don't worry, folks.  We are all in this together! So - let's embrace our wobbly lines and love our not so circular circles.  Heart!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

35 comments:

  1. Laura, I love your non-dom piece. It has a wonderful character about it. Thank you for the freedom of this challenge.... it always makes me smile. Happy tangling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as someone who is fairly new to tangling (about 3 months), this is going to be a real challenge, but probably liberating. I'm quite looking forward to it! Your tile inspires!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, let me congratulate you on having those student loans paid in full! That is a long road, and will free up some much needed spending money, I'm sure. Or start to put it into a retirement account - whatever.

    Now for another non-dom challenge. Yuck. Yours is pretty good, though. I like it. Last time I gave up and finished the fine stuff with my right hand. The stress was too much! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely family!! God Bless!!
    Thanks for the challenge, struggled :( but enjoyed it in the end!!
    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a challenge! This is first time someone ask me to use my non-dominant hand, which is left-hand. Brilliant idea to do that! Well done for paying off student loans and it must have felt so good to received the news. Enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps I dint not anderstand the challenge I made it completly left handed, I give myself a present for this difficult drawing and use the colour purple.
    I have to read more for understanding perhaps this is it! Greetz from Holland.
    I enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic family photo!!! Congratulations on the student loan payoff...that is something to celebrate! I was determined to tackle the challenge early this week and not put it off. Mission accomplished. YAY! And in the process I might have developed a new tangle...visit me and let me know if you think this one already exists, and if so, do you know the name? And who defined it? I rather like it, and will happily draw the step-outs if no one else has already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on paying off the student loan! That's awesome. This certainly was a challenge! I can't do anything with my left hand. It did make the popsicle tangle easier to do and I liked it better than when my lines were "pretty". Keep inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love this challenge. Thank you! Great photo of you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so much fun, My husband had a good laugh while he was watching me try this one out :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so amazing what you notice when using your non-dominant hand! I had a really hard time coloring inside the lines for instance - LOL! Great experience and very humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura - I am a glass-half full kind of person. This challenge completely emptied my glass, my gas tank and the coffee maker. Ouch! This was really hard. I guess that is what made it a "challenge." Seriously fun, but whoa . . . very hard. I'm glad I did it though, now I can go fill up my cup of tea. Love the family pics, and congrats on paying the school loans off. Mine will be paid off when I am 95. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this was some experience.... Thank you Laura! I've posted my experiences on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That was a surprise. I cannot use my left hand for anything but short straight lines. LOL! I forgot about this yesterday morning, so when I remembered it today, I was in a rush anyway. But I gave it a shot. It went haywire. And the worst part was, if you tried to correct anything, it only got worse. LOL! But it was an eye opener. Thanks Laura. You taught me that the only thing I can do with my left hand is play miniature golf. vicmelhorse Melodie Dowell

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a tough time with this...it's my type A personality and my "need" to control! But...I didn't give in...and finally finished the entire thing with my left hand!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even doing this for the second time, it was still a challenge. I'll have to redeem myself on the next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mine didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would, very cool challenge... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a Terrible experience for me it looks like a child tried diong it, it looked like I had a few too many drinks and then tried to tangle

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did it!!!! Last year I didn't complete mine so this year I was determined to finish it. Very thought provoking. Those of us that are impatient, controlling and perfection seeking undoubtedly were challenged. Great idea Laura. I think on completion a lot of us were surprised that the whole was better than the each of the parts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great challenge Laura! Thought I would hate it but ended up loving it! Might even try a second.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was fun! I really liked this one, talk about beeing in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, is there any way you can change my links name to just Linda?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Diva, I think this challenge was a really learning experience for everyone. Thanks for pushing us out of our comfort zones! Also congrats on paying off the loans. That's huge. Maybe you can tangle around the edges and frame the letter!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OK - That was definitely a challenge. Must be the week for them...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah to you on the school loans!!! Now what to do with all that extra cash??? Challenge was crazy - my brain and left hand didn't get along very well. They must learn to play nicer together.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great challenge and very challenging on a few different levels. Can't wait to see other's wavy lines!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved it. I learned some pretty interesting things about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can I just say that it was this challenge last year that got me hooked on your challenges? And that the piece I did last year I love to show all my students.. I actually wrote more about this challenge as a teaching moment on my blog when I posted this year's version. Thank you!!
    Sadelle Wiltshire, CZT#7

    ReplyDelete
  29. I finally got it together and posted a tangle after viewing the challenge EVERY week for a year! Thanks for all you do!! CZT #6

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really had a good time doing this! I thought about not trying, but I found that it wasn't as hard as I thought!! It totally looks like I used my non dominant hand. Not awesome, but I enjoyed the process!!
    Thanks for the challenge!
    Hope your babies are good!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi I just joined in on the fun, I have been doing this weeks challenge, so much fun I just had to join...You have the cutiest babies ever...../donna

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fun family pic! My least favorite challenge, but I did it. Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Really enjoyed this challenge ... and love the family pic...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the non-dom challenge. I always have to restrain myself; I feel like I'm working with a child learning a new skill and want to grab the pen with my right hand, saying, "Here! Let me show you how to do it right!" LOL

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!