Monday, February 13, 2012

Weekly Challenge #58

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Howdy howdy everyone! it was another busy week Casa Diva.

B-rad has been doing a bit of overtime this week, and i have been picking up a few shifts at my sister in law's store - the result being us not seeing each other too much this week.  Sigh.

Chewie and i got to spend some time making crafts for Valentine's day, he and i made cards for all the kids at daycare (he goes once a week for social interaction and so i can schedule Artoo's appointments) - they're having a party on Tuesday!

And Artoo is just adorable as all get-out...like always...

Back in November fellow CZT Diana Hirsch and i had talked about her taking the reins for a challenge to promote a cause close to her heart.  So without further ado, i give you this week's guest post:

Weekly Challenge #58: Diamonds

Can you stay awake for 24 hours straight?  What about 46 hours?  Can you also spend those two days standing on your feet, not once sitting down?  I can and I did.  Twice.  This weekend, February 17-19, 708 college students will do just that to raise money to fight pediatric cancer.
 
Penn State University’s Dance Marathon—lovingly called THON —is an annual event that benefits The Four Diamonds Fund at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital.  In 1973, 39 dancer couples participated in the first THON and raised $2,000.  Last year, in 2011, 353 couples danced and raised $9.56 million.  In its 40 years, THON has raised over $78 million, money that has paid medical expenses for more than 2000 families and also funds innovative research.
 
The Four Diamonds Fund was started by Charles and Irma Millard after their son, Christopher, lost his 3 year battle with cancer in 1972.  Symbolic of the traits Christopher felt were needed to defeat cancer, he wrote a story in which the knight Sir Millard overcomes obstacles to achieve the four diamonds of Courage, Wisdom, Honesty and Strength.
 
This week’s challenge is Diamonds.  You may use the Four Diamonds logo as your string (for ATCs and tiles--), 
tile
atc


Use diamond-esque tangles only, or anything else that represents this theme to you.  


Afterwards, if you would like to donate your tile or ZIA to a Four Diamonds family, contact me and I guarantee that the families will love and cherish them forever. 

To donate or to watch the live 46-hour simulcast, visit www.thon.org.  Tune in Sunday, February 19 at 4:00pm Eastern time to see the Total Reveal.

  Diana Hirsch is a CZT based in Michigan, teaching classes and workshops in and around the Detroit area.  A mere 45 days after receiving my Zentangle kit, I was so enthralled that I registered for the last CZT workshop that was held in Whitinsville.  I love inspiring people with this simple, encouraging art form.  As for THON, I persevered twice: once as a Penn State undergraduate student and then again in 2010 as a THON Alumni.  (My age then? You do the math.)  It won’t be my last time dancing in THON.

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

31 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing the four diamond fund with us Laura. It is wonderful that we learn about causes that can open our hearts to others. You are a good woman! Thank you for the inspiration of your tiles. Your ability to speak through art and through words is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized I did not see the paragraph before the challenge....you see I get so excited that I skim the first morning just to get to the challenge....and so I must say thanks to Diana for the challenge and to Laura for hosting the site that brings so much joy to me!

      Delete
  2. Lendenzer couldn't have said it better. You are a role model for us all.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, since I have no tiles in the right extent I'll skip this challenge. Nevertheless, I want to let you know: It would be a sad world without people like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie, thank you. I appreciate that. Please do not let the lack of a "tile" prevent you from participating in the challenge. Feel free to enjoy the creativity however you can.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree. I'm learning a lot here, zentanglen, special topics that I was not awre and the English language bmet using google translate!
    Also visiting the other drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Laura, for drawing our attention to another wonderful cause that most of us were probably not aware of. I would gladly donate my tile if you think someone might want it. thanks again. Mel Melodie Dowell vicmelhorse

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an enjoyable challenge. Thank you as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a lot of fun with this, once I got going!! Thank you, Diana for a thoughtful challenge! And thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, I messed up with the linky....for some reason, when I got ready to post, my old post from last week was still there. When I went to delete it, I hit the enter! So please ignore it and post my second entry for this week!!! And..thanks for correcting my name on the Purple haze...you are a dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thoughts and feelings....overwhelming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Courage, Wisdom, Honesty and Strength! Thank you for sharing this cause with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chis' Four Diamonds Story is a real treat to read. Thanks Diana for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin @ TheBrightOwl introduced me to your blog. I'm new to zentangle and excited to participate in my first challenge, especially when there is such a unique and meaningful story involved! :-)jenn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing the story of the Four Diamonds. And, once again, for a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The last couple of weeks I can't access my blog and add my entries or even view my blog from my job. I get this message "Your browser is no longer supported by Blogger. Some part of Blogger will not work and you may experience problems. If you are having problems, try google Chrome./Dismiss". I will have to try harder at home which sometimes impossible. I'm still keeping up with the Weekly Challenges. I look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for using your great blog to highlight worthy causes! and some that are rare unless you are a family who has been touched by their efforts. I'm turning off my internet now and getting to work - play - relaxation with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for letting us participate in a worthy cause! I'd like to donate my tile! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ths challenge had made me ever more creative! Thank you for the challenge. Brilliant way to promote the worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful challenge this week for a great cause! Thanks, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laura,

    Congrats on your win! All of here realize what a wonderful person you are and how much joy you bring to all of us. Thanks for your dedication to us and thank your family for sharing you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another great challenge for a wonderful cause! Thanks for sharing the story of the 4 diamonds with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My first challenge on your site, and such a worthwhile one. Thank you for the opportunity. I would be more than willing to donate my tile to a Four Diamonds family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is awe-inspiring to see everyone's interpretation of this theme...and there are still many more chaallenges for me to look at. Thank you, thank you everyone for participating. THON 2012 begins in less than 20 hours as of this comment, and if every one could see and feel the love on this site, there would not be one tired foot on the dancefloor. Okay...there would be tired feet, but their hearts would soar. <> Diana

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hallo, this is the first time I am participating in one of your challenges. It's a good background and a challenge specially for me, because I mostly love drawing not straight lines or squares, but flowers and curls. And I tried to express the meaning of the four diamonds in my four squares. Thank you for your engagement and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made it before the weekend this week! WOnderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! New here. My two kids and I would like to participate this week. I realize that makes 3 tangles so if necessary, use only theirs. ;) Though my son has yet to finish his so it may not be an issue this week. ;) We'd also love to donate our cards! Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hallo Laura, as my daughter has also participated and I added her picture on my blog, I wanted to change my name by adding hers too. But I failed and created a new number 62. Can you delete this and change my first number name or whatever ??Sorry ,thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am new to Zentangle and new to this blog. Thanks for a chance to learn about the Four Diamonds Fund and participate in the challenge.

    Carol B
    ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oops, the iPad got all confused and entered me in as no. 66, but that was suppose to go to challenge #59. Just ignore that. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It was fun to do all the diamonds. Nice to find much alikes in all the patterns I collected so far.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!