Monday, February 20, 2012

Weekly Challenge #59

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS
Chewie had a fun time at his Valentine's Day party at Daycare, B-rad got me an electronic picture frame and i got him a Wilco album on Vinyl.  we're not really BIG on Valentines day, B-rad and I, but it's nice to get each other a little sumpin sumpin.

The big event of this week was Artoo's trip to the hospital for his ear tubes.  B-rad took the day off work, and my dad came over bright and early, at 5:30, to watch Chewie so we could get to admitting by 6:00. 

Cutie little Patootie in his hospital jammies

After an exhausting morning - tubes were in, and Artoo recovered - none too happy about what just happened to him, i might add.
Finally sleeping after a harrowing morning.
But already we're seeing an improvement - on what he's able to hear, and even his balance.  Yay!

Sunday was just beautiful - so we got out as a family and went to the park.  Something we haven't done much this winter....well, we haven't done much of anything this winter...  Chewie had a great time running around, going down the slides, eating snow and making snow angels.

Weekly Challenge #59: "Mardi Gras"
A few weeks ago one of the Challenge participants, OwlLovingApril, suggested we do a Mardi Gras themed challenge.  I thought; what a great idea!  I had to do a little research, as i'm not really familiar with Mardi Gras, except that New Orleans is the place to be during it... and that it had something to do with Lent.

For those of you who need the quick 411 like me, Mardi Gras translates to Fat Tuesday - which traditionally was a day to eat rich/fatty foods - to INDULGE... one last Hurrah before Lent began the next day on Ash Wednesday.  I think it's safe to say that INDULGING is the key to modern Mardi Gras...well, if anything i've seen on TV or Movies is true that is.

ANYWAY this week's challenge - create a tile or ZIA using the prompt: Mardi Gras.  What does that say to you?
BEADS!

To me, it says Beads.  B-rad made some crack about how if i ever made it to 'Nawlins' for Mardi Gras, i'd come home with a lot of beads. ....i can't say he's right... but i can't say he's wrong either.... wink!

So, there's a lot of great ideas and points for inspiration with this prompt... the Mardi Gras colours are Purple Green and Gold, you could Zentangle a mask, or look at the costumes - feathers, beads, glitter...



I can't wait to see what you all come up with!! And thanks again, April, for the great challenge idea!

(if you have an idea for a challenge, pop me an email)

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

31 comments:

  1. First of all I must say lovely tile Laura! I think this has been my hardest challenge. Almost thought of not doing it, the unthinkable! Anyway, it did give me food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great theme for a challenge! Lots of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this challenge. The colors and the excitment of the subject. I love colors, but I love watercolors. So, I cheated. I didn't use a tile. I used watercolor paper. I used watercolors, and pen and ink on this one. Then I threw in some gitter pens or markers. Hope the cheating doesn't disqualify me. I wasn't sure if we have to use a tile or not. vicmelhorse Melodie Dowell
    Diva's Challenge # 59 "Mardi Gras" 2/20/12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, of course you're not 'disqualified' - that would imply that there are 'rules'..... :)
      your work would just be considered Zentangle Inspired Art. and it's beautiful, by the way.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for participating in my suggestion. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tile is amazing. Is it white on black? or black on white? Either way, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did mine in an online computer program that was linked to in Flickr and I've been playing with it for a couple of days and thought I would give this challenge a try in Scribbler....try it out if you want, it's so much fun. I have a Wacom Tablet and stylus, which is more like a pen so not using the mouse. Here's the link if you're interested:
    http://www.zefrank.com/scribbler/scribblertoo/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the fun challenge. Just what I needed after a frustrating weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like a theme where you can let your imagination go in a variety of ways. This one gave me lots of ways to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having issues with posting my entries at work since they did something to the infrastructure to the computer system that prevents the browser from supporting Blogger.com. I can view different blogs, I just can't post anything on my own browser. That's a drag. Sometimes I don't get a chance to use the computer at home plus my laptop computer went out on us. I can hear the fan blowing inside the computer and it gets power because I can see the lights, but the screen remains black. It won't turn on. I think either the hard drive crashed or something else that starts the hard drive. Hope I don't have to purchase another laptop computer. That blows! That's the faster and newer computer. The desk top I'm working on now can get pretty slow, but it's better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beaut beads! This challenge was fabulous fun, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great challenge Laura and I love your tile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your beads and totally enjoyed the challenge. Wish it looked like what was in my head...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love you tile, Laura! Fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your tile! Thanks for this challenge. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your bead tile and love the challenge. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had lots of fun with this one! Thanks! Hope Artoo gets to feelin' better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another timely, fun challenge. Your beads tile is lovely, full of movement and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeay, so many entries already. Looks like we are all having fun with our Mardi Grass inspired pieces. Forgot to leave a comment yesterday, after posting my link....
    And here is a big hug from me to Artoo, hope he will be getting better with the new ear plugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good choice for a challenge...since we've been in Mardi Gras "season" around here for a while! Love the look of your beads!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was so much fun! I love seeing everyone's interpretations of the fun of Mardi Gras in zentangles :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really beautiful colorful tile in the Mardi Gras spirit,Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found this to be a tough challenge, and almost didn't do it. My oh my, the other entries are all so beautiful! I really love that you come with themes or topics that really "challenge" and make us step out of our comfort zone. I'm also learning ease up and try not to be so critical of my own works - it's all for fun, (and practice, and learning...) right?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the challenge. I really dug into this one and managed to damage a nerve in my finger! LOL. Oh well... I'll take a few days off from tangling.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your bead tile. It is really fantastic! Great challenge and hope Artoo is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so glad your little guy made it through the surgery great, and has made such progress already!
    Your bead tile is awesome!!! Thank you so much for hosting this every week!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  26. What fun! Great stretch of the mind. "Beads" was the first thing that leaped to my mind, too. I love that you used all beads as your tile. Lovely! I incorporated beads into mine, and may go back tomorrow and do some...! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love to draw.. my mother's friend got me started with Zentangling and I love it.. now, when im stuck with nothing to do i sit down and zentangle..

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was a REALLY fun challenge! Thanks for helping us all to think outside of our comfort zones.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm sorry to have neglected the challenge for several weeks. THis is a catch-up post with challenges 51-59. Phew!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!