About Me

My Photo
The Diva tries her hand at wifedom and motherhood and dabbles in artsy things. She is a Certified Zentangle Teacher.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Weekly Challenge #60

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS
Can we REALLY have been together for sixty weeks? Wow.  Time flies when you're having fun!! And we're all having WAY too much fun, right??

Hope everyone had a great week - Artoo's been teething...yay, but 3 out of 4 eyeteeth are finally cut.  He's just working on the last one... let's hope that happens soon....

Oh, my beautiful baby

Artoo goes in for his MRI Tuesday morning, i'm really not looking forward to that.  He did really well when he got his tubes in his ears last week, but this procedure will be longer and more intensive.  He will be put right out for it, and they've told me the MRI is scheduled for an hour.  They are looking at his eyes, essentially to make a surgery plan to correct the cross-eyed-ness.

Also, Neurology wants to look and see what the extent of his syndrome is, as it's a spectrum syndrome and different for each person.  He could have missing nerves, or damaged nerves, or weak nervers, or malformed nerves.... we just don't know.  As far as Neurology is concerned, it's for informational purposes ONLY.  It won't change anything.  But it will be nice to know.

Oh, my beautiful Boy
Chewie has been ever so 'delightful' this week - he's trying on a new personality where he tells me that i'm annoying him and that he's mad at me and doesn't like the way i talk to him... yep, he's three.  Should be fun when we get to teenhood.  sighhhhhhh


Weekly Challenge #60: DuoTangle v.III "Cirquital/Munchin
 It's been a while since we've done a DuoTangle challenge, so it's about time, dontchya think?  This time - i picked a doozy... even as i was working on my tiles i thought: "This is hard, it's not too late to do something different..." but then i reminded myself that the whole purpose to this is to challenge yourself  - to PUSH yourself out of your comfort zones.
I'm not going to lie, this is NOT one of my favourite tiles.
But - i'm going to chalk it up to a fun experiment.  They can't all be winners....
and the problem with this tile, i think, is the lack of contrast.
So - keep that in mind as you do your own tiles.


Both tangles are Official Zentangle patterns.

You can find the instructions to Cirquital here - it's based on the Zentangle principle of 'drawing behind' - like so many tangles are done.  It's one that i have to admit - i've only done once or twice before.  I think i concentrated too much on making all my points go to the centre of the circle, and i don't think that's really something you need to worry about.

Instructions to the other tangle, Munchin, can be found here.  This tangle is one of Maria's daughter Molly's creations.  It's simple and fun!

And so, to recap - your challenge, should you chose to accept it, is to create a tile or ZIA (Zentangle Inspired Art) using ONLY the TWO TANGLES presented here.  Restricting yourself to just Cirquital and Munchin, with nothing else.  It's trickier than it seems.... as you will read in my description of the the tile below.

How are these two contrary tangles going to be put together by your extraordinarily creative minds? I can hardly wait!!
I had to post this one, and tell you the quick story behind it: i was working on the tile for the
challenge while Chewie was watching Puss in Boots, and without realizing, i added
all the orbs on the side - then as i was about to shade it
i looked at it and realized i had used...one, two...three tangles.
Not a DuoTangle.  DANGIT
but still pretty.
Don't Forget! Next week's challenge will feature one of YOUR tangles!! if you want to submit a pattern of your own, click here
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

35 comments:

  1. Ok, I'll try again. I got redirected that time. I loved the Munchin part of the tangle. So I enjoyed half of it. LOL! I think I got my tiny tile so full, I had to try to use color to find anything. Didn't really work. But here it is. Thanks Laura!! Mel Vicmelhorse Melodie Dowell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this challenge. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fun challenge! Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to say....great photo of Chewie! It looks like he's practicing his Shakespeare. "Alas, poor Yorick..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha!! yes, totally! if anyone knows how to photoshop - a skull in his hand would look awesome.

      Delete
  5. Love to hear updates about your family and see photo's! Your boys are ever so cute! This was a fun challenge and Munchin is new to me; I LOVE it! I've learned not to peek at other entries until I've submitted mine, now I can't wait to see what everyone is doing! Thanks Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the challenge, I really enjoyed it. Off now to see what others have posted, I was good and didn't peak until I had finished mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another really challenging challenge! I haven't used these two tangles before - I felt really stretched. Thanks again for this space. And I love reading about your kids. So precious! Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed this challenge very much. Had never used either tangle before but will play with both of them again. Decided to use more color than I usually do. Could have kept going with Munchin forever...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice of tangles, I really like your tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first challenge submittal. I have been following your for a while, but haven't had the ability until just now to join the challenge. Thank you for the interesting challenge here. Best wishes always.

    Lynne aka Shatril

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another fun challenge, Cirquital is not one I often use. Another good reason to get out of my comfort zone. Thanks for the opportunity. I especially like your first tile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Trying on a new personality" - loveit. Great attitude mom!
    --Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the white space in your tile makes the cirquital and the munchin stand out beautifully! Fun photos always give me a moment to smile and enjoy! Thanks for the challenge, it makes Mondays my favorite day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this challenge and want to explore it some more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These were tangles I'd not yet done so it was doubly enjoyable. :) Thanks! I like the white space in your second one. Helps with the contrast issue.

    Good luck with the MRI. Wish they would have knocked me out for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these were both new patterns for me....I need more practice!!! love what I see others doing....cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good day,
    This time i have seen other zentangles becouse it is all new for me.
    I like this challenge, thank you for sharing.
    I made two but show one.
    Greetings from holland.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with the others - challenging challenge. I just realized that my pictures won't be good for adding to your slide show because the picture and text are together. (I got tired of Blogger not letting me put things where I wanted them and just used photoshop. Don't worry about including mine.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Again...I never had done either of these before! I want to thank you for the "clue" about the circus aspect, as that is what gave me my inspiration for my tangle...see explanation on my blog! Here's hoping the MRI went well. My two cousins had very crossed eyes when they were small, and all it took to correct was very strong special eyeglasses. I hope your solution will be as simple. My cousins eyes are perfectly aligned now and have been for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria,
      Artoo's condition is a nerve disorder, so strong glasses won't help. The nerves connecting to the muscles on the outsides of his eyes don't work, or are damaged, or are non-existant. He will have to have his eyes straightened surgically. Even then, they will only be straight. He still won't be able to look to the side.

      Delete
  20. Laura, I am sorry to hear that. I am hoping he will get some special training for his lack of peripheral vision? Children are amazing in their ability to adapt and accept.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Take care, wishing you strength, by the way :-), I loved this challenge, love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for this challenge, Laura - a new tangle, and one rarely used! The duotangle and monotangle challenges are my favourites :) I was happy to hear that Artoo's procedure wasn't as rough as you'd thought it would be - hope the snuggles are helping him to feel better! Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another fun challenge. While you may not like your tile, I certainly do. Love the touches of white-on-black.

    My own 'perspective' on eyes: I have double-vision and have had it since high school-ish. There is a weak muscle, and darned if I can think of the term now. I've had two surgeries to correct, but it seems to be temporary, and I expect to have at least one more. My glasses have a prism that brings the images together into one. I can look to the sides, but best vision is straight ahead. While it's sometimes awkward now, I imagine it would be easier had this been what I always grew up with. Here's to his situation being as easy to adapt to.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't read ALL your directions, Laura, so my first tile had more that just the 2 tangles (I didn't even post that one), so I had to do a second...not that I minded!! Loved the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hallo laura, thanks for the challenge! Was fun again making my frist DuoTangle and to try two new pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahhh... It feels good to be all caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad to be back doing a Challenge. This one certainly defines the word "Challenge"!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Was grumbling about using only 2 tangles then remebered the tag line "The elegance of limits"

    ReplyDelete
  29. Haha! I saw the post about Chewie holding the skull! He is a riot! My 2 boys had their phases too. One is a teen, and so far so good, but the small one is 12, and has been in "teenhood" since he was 10!!
    Good luck with Artoo's MRI. Blessings to you both!
    I am sooooo new to this art form and I try, really I do! But this week was really hard!! But personally, I think it is my best one yet! Thanks for all of your weekly inspiration!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  30. Back in the game - definitely a challenge but the duo challenges are always fun to do and so interesting to see what others do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm late but I got it posted! :)

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!