Monday, March 12, 2012

Weekly Challenge #62

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
This week has been very trying for us at Chez Diva... Artoo's throat virus made its way to me, and to Chewie and finally to B-rad - we're all feeling, kinda...uhnnn.... bleh.

Mostly i'm feeling it in the morning and right at night.  There's a nagging cough that just won't go away....

Monday morning B-rad stayed home from work to be with Artoo so Chewie and i could go to the doctor...and let me just say that Chewie does NOT like to have his throat inspected, but even more than that, he hates having his ears touched.  You wouldn't think a 3 year old could be that strong!

  On Tuesday we got slammed with a big fat snow storm. 
 (since i didn't give you any photos last week...here's a bunch for you)
Snow snow snow...

our front steps were completely covered
 The snow had calmed by the evening, and B-rad shoveled and shoveled and shoveled...
AHH!!
Chewie eating an ice cream cone - to stay warm
 And Artoo just slept a lot this week - and had a brief stint of eating nothing but vanilla yogurt for 4 days. 


A week of no sleep and feeling mostly like warmed up garbage.... fun fun fun! We are all starting to feel better, but like i said, this nagging cough - it's the worst.

LUCKILY FOR ME (and for you!) this week's challenge will be brought to you by Certified Zentangle Teacher, Marizaan van Beek, all the way from South Africa!  Let's welcome her! 


Weekly Challenge #62: Sprial Vs Paradox

The challenge is to use spiral together with paradox. Your basic string should be a spiral and tangled with paradox. More than one spiral string can be used.*
*If you follow the Paradox tangle from the lower left quadrant,
the spiral string moves counter clockwise into the center. 
It's really quite elegant.

If you do more than one spiraled string, just be sure to have your main
spiral tangled with Paradox, as Marizaan has done.  -Laura


I posted the challenge Spiral vs Paradox because of my own challenge. At the seminar Paradox proved to be my nemesis. So I am a spiral person and decided to combine the triangle and the spiral just to say I have mastered the challenge.

I used a big spiral as the basic string and drew lines inside the curves to make triangles, and just started tangling.

 Life is about obstacles and Zentangle has proven once again that they can be overcome.

(For anyone who needs help with this tricky tangle, Paradox, Margaret Bremner, my fellow Saskatonian CZT, has a wonderful tutorial on her blog where she demonstrates the method of doing Paradox triangles - you can see it here!! -Laura)

I am from South Africa, have two teenagers, and I am married almost 20 years. I saw Zentangle at a camp 4 years ago from someone that was taking classes from a woman teaching Zentangle - not a CZT. How Ironic is that ? Well I made up my mind that this is what I want to teach because it brings my Social Work background and my love for art together in one teachable medium to people that often feel left out in the art department and in self esteem. So off I went last year in October at the first seminar in Providence and proudly became a CZT#7.
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

44 comments:

  1. Wow, Marizaan, this is so beautiful and a big inspiration. I can't wait to do this challenge! Laura, as always, we are sending you and the fam our love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never quite understood paradox, so this was hard for me. I'm not sure I did them right. I started to put the shading in ink, but changed midstride to pencil. You can all see where that happened. LOL! Thamks Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know what you mean - Paradox is definitely a trickier tangle. Did you take a look at Margaret's tutorial? that might help.

      Delete
  3. Marizaan, this is really a challenge and I am determined to make it work some way, some how....only time will tell. The piece posted is so fantastic....the task feels daunting, however I will muddle through the test tries until I find a happy ending. Laura, I was hoping you will be feeling 100% but it does sound you are on the mend. The snow, is cabin fever setting in? We are in the midst of spring here, I hope it comes your way soon. Have you tried honey,lemon, and cayenne, in a warm tea? I find it makes a world of difference. I hope for a great week for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Marizaan and Laura for the challenge. I was a little intimidated by Paradox, but I had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Marizaan for this great challenge. Laura I hope that everyone is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I understood this challenge correctly. Anyway, I've always liked the paradox tangle pattern and it was a challenge to use it within the spiral and not lose the spiral pattern itself.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, hope you and your family are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Laura. Take care of that back of yours. You need all the strength to carry your cutie-pie, Artoo. You still manage to come up with great ideas for the weekly challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your take on the subject, especially the paradoxes. The depth you achieved is amazing. Thanks for this fun challenge and feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, again, for the nice challenge! Lots of strength for all of you. love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great challenge - I love Paradox! Hope all is well on the homefront - we're getting a warm spell here in Ontario (snow is melting.... yay!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tutorial is a definite help. Thanks for this challenging challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great challenge! I had trouble at first with Paradox, but once I realized it is easier to not lift the pen I was ok. It is a little lopsided, but they say no mistakes in Zentangle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi All, not been able to do many tangles lately but I do pop by to see what you have all been up to.
    Fabulous entries all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. lol, when I looked at the tangle done by Marizaan, up close, all I could see was a bunch of birds, their eyes beaming out from among each other, reminding me of babies in a nest waiting to be fed. Even the other spirals remind me of twine and material birds would use!!! A very fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks Ruth I always enjoy when people see something joyful that i missed.

      Delete
  16. Hi Everyone - I'm new to blogs and Zentangle but I think I managed to add my entry to the list for this weeks challenge... I think I inadvertantly added it to last weeks too... Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My first Zentangle Challenge. Thanks! It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely challenge, can't wait to make time for it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. In my entry for The Diva's Challenge this week I noticed a 'tunnel' type image appear in addition to the fans and twisted columns. Margaret Bremner's tutorial "Paradox and then some" and other tutorials/step-by-step instructions have been really helpful for me so I thought I would try to deconstruct this pattern. Here is the link to what I came up with...

    http://zenventure.blogspot.com/2012/03/paradox-tunnel_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your tile is beautiful, Marizaan! Thanks for the challenge. Laura, hope you and your family feel better soon. Take care....Sue

    ReplyDelete
  21. Primero agradecerte la oportunidad de participar y que compartas tu fantástico trabajo.
    Soy nueva en esto y autodidacta, en España se hace muy poco TANGLE , y estoy aprendiendo a través de vuestros blogs.
    Muchas gracias!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "First I'm thankful for the opportunity to participate and that you share your fantastic work. I am new in this and self-taught, in Spain little TANGLE becomes very, and I am learning through yours blogs. Thank you very much!" (thank you babelfish)

      ¡somos felices de tenerle ensamblarnos!

      Delete
  22. This was a tough one in the beginning because I had never used this in a tangle before. But I saw the very wonderful instructions on the Tangle Patterns site. So I just kept thinking "thin to thick, thin to thick" meaning that every time I turned I would start with a point and open the other end. I did my string with three spirals and from then on it was great fun. Thank you Laura and Marizaan.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun challenge! Thanks Laura and Marizaan. I haven't done Paradox in a while. It was just what I needed today to give myself a chance to focus on something other than my sick kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super cool snow, we had 29 degrees celsius here in Tassie today. Hot for our autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was a tough one, but fun because I really like paradox. Thanks for continuing to hostess this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super challenge this week!Paradox is one of my favorite tangles! Laura, I have directions on my blog on how to turn off the word verification if anyone is interested. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome challenge...now off to see all the other artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was a great challenge because it really sharpened up my paradox skills! I plan on doing another tile that is strictly spirals and paradox! It will also more than likely be black on white instead of white on black.

    Amy
    time-for-teaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved it!! Thanks Laura and Marizaan!
    Paradox is one of my favorite tangle and along with a spiral it was a great challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well for me it was pfffff, I made it myself too difficult. Normally I find the paradox lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Tried a new material this week...visit me at Tanglefish blog to see! The scan doesn't "reflect" it's true appearance, but that's okay. Thank you Laura and Marizaan for the challange--this is an intriguing one! I hope I have time to finish another!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the intriguing challenge and hope all at your house are feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  33. 3 weeks in a row posting the Challenge - it's almost a habit again. Thanks for getting me motivated again, Laura. Marizaan, what a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your tile. So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for the great challenge! After I submitted mine, I went back and looked at the tutorial - should have done that first ;) At the end of the tutorial, all the samples were put together - it looked so cool that I spent the rest of this week doing my own Paradox study with lots of variations. Lots of work, but I feel much more confident using this fabulous tangle now!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for this challenge,I hope I am in time for today. Was again a challenge so use paradox,I love this tangle!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am so impressed with the tangles that everyone else does - thank you for posting these challenges and maintaining this platform for sharing. It is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This was fun. Love everyone's tangles. It's a great learning experience. I am "Tangle Inspired."

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!