About Me

My Photo
The Diva tries her hand at wifedom and motherhood and dabbles in artsy things. She is a Certified Zentangle Teacher.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Weekly Challenge #67

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone.

What a fun week... as some of you know, Artoo took a tumble down the stairs this week... he's fine.  He's been really working on his army-style crawl, and was quicker than i thought.  One second he was playing on the floor - the next he was down the stairs.  As I jumped up and ran to get him I kicked a chair or the table or something...

Artoo was no worse for wear, just a little scared and a little bruised.  Once i had him cuddled up with a bottle, he was okay... and i suddenly became aware of a SEARING pain in my right pinky toe... turns out i smashed it pretty badly.  It hurt so much, i cried.  I was pretty sure it was broken, but i had to wait until B-rad got home from work before i could go get it looked at... so i kept it elevated and iced as much as i could while i waited.

The doctor took one look at it and said: "Have you ever had a fractured toe before?? I'm worried about this, we'd better get it x-rayed".

Luckily for me, all my toe pieces were in tact, just some soft tissue damage...some painful PAINFUL soft tissue damage....he said - keep it iced and elevated. 

Here it is, day 3 of the pain - i apologize, had i known
i'd be smashing my foot i'd have gotten a pedicure first.
Holy moly, even just walking around my house has been so tricky, let alone running after children.  i still can't QUITE fit my foot into a shoe.  Flip flops for me, baby.  Thankfully the weather's been better.

Update on the fam:
Saturday morning, Artoo woke up with a fever of 101.1, and two red spots on his belly.   B-rad took him to the doctor and it could very well be Chicken Pox.  Sigh.  Sure, why not?  The doc said to look for more spots, but its most likely viral regardless.

B-rad cuddles the boys on the couch with a book

His glands are swollen, again, and we can keep his temp down with some drugs, but he is NOT a very happy camper.  The thing is, dealing with a sick baby is one thing.  Dealing with a sick baby who has difficulty swallowing and requires suctioning is quite another.  So.  We are exhausted over here.  Seriously. 

let's move on, shall we?

Weekly Challenge #67: "Amanda Day"


A few weeks ago, Chewie spontaneously declared that he was going to give the Earth a new name - and for some reason, unknown to me, he decided that a good name for the Earth was Amanda.  Y'know, i don't even know if he's ever MET anyone named Amanda... but there you have it.

So, Sunday was Earth Day, or Amanda Day as it's called at Casa Diva - and the weather was beautiful.  It was 20.5 C (68F) and so we ate lunch out on the deck today, and then Chewie and i did some work in my planter garden - essentially just ripping out the over grown strawberry plants.

Mmm, strawberries

We celebrated with orange slices.
 In honour of Amanda Day - (or Earth Day) the Challenge is to use the prompt of the Earth (Or Amanda). 

For me - this prompted me to work on a Zendala tile.  (you can purchase Zendala tiles from any Certified Zentangle Teacher) Maria sent me a set of tiles a while ago - and i have been so intimidated by them.  I've seen so many other beautiful Zendalas online by other CZTs - and i've been afraid to start.  Now that i've done one, i wonder what the heck i've been waiting for. 

The round tile - round like the earth, then also the four seeds growing out of the centre.... i really like it.

So, go wherever this takes you; round tile, or plant like tangles, or use earth tones - - - Happy Earth Day everyone! (Happy Amanda Day, Chewie!)

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. 
Hey - i should note here quickly that i try my best to get the slideshows up in a timely fashion, but sometimes my life gets in the way (like when Artoo spends a week in the hospital, just for example) so, please be patient.  thanks.  HUG
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

47 comments:

  1. What a week for you....your life is never just plain is it? That toe looks so sore! I hope Artoo is better real soon. It was great to see the strawberries and know you had a moment or two of fun. I love the theme. Amanda day it is. I will be posting later than usual but by tonight I will come up with something. Best wishes to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow!~ Did the Universe not get the message that you needed a break this week??

    I hope your toes heal quickly and that little Artoo gets over his "bug" really quickly! Poor guy.

    Off to ponder tangling thoughts of Amanda......

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness. And I thought I had one of "these" weeks... I get dizzy by reading this. I hope you can keep up. There must be some better weeks soon!
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
  4. yikes - when it rains - it pours! Hope you all recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hectic few weeks you've had. Wishing you better times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. praying for you guys! rough times in your home of late. better days are coming!

    this is just my second week with the challenge and i wondered - where does the slideshow appear when it's posted? i'd love to watch one, can you see past ones also? or just the current one? thanks for even making this possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda. I love it!!! What a great kid!
    I've broken a few toes over the years so I can really sympathize. Not fun.
    Tuesday, I'm off to Vancouver for a week to visit my eldest but will try to find time to do this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A completely organic attempt. I used a brown ballpoint pen for the "Amanda" effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that Chewie has his own name for earth. That is so cool.

    I wish I was able to come over and give you a hand when I hear about all the challenges (and I don't mean zentangle ones) you're facing. Here's to hoping things start looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you poor dear! That toe looks so painful! Hope you are all feeling better. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!Your Zendala is gorgeous! I think you're a natural:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the movement in your zendala!! Just like the Earth (Amanda) rotating on it's axis. Thanks for a fun and challenging challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, please delete that first link....somehow the copy and paste worked toward last week. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura, I have a few things to say about this post: A) So sorry to see that foot. I have broken my pinky toes multiple times and it amazing something that small can hurt that much. Sorry you are dealing with that. B) I'm so glad to hear that Artoo is progressing with his milestones but heartbroken to hear he took a tumble. I'm so glad he is ok. C) Who named it Earth anyhow? I think Amanda is a fine name for a huge mass hovering in the galaxy. Go Chewie! D) I love the picture of Chewie eating the oranges, it makes me smile. E) Once again, great challenge. Thanks you for all that you do. Ok, I think I'm done now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Amanda day Zendala.
    A Masterpiece !
    I hope to find time this week to make one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so, so sorry to hear of all your problems this week. And yet you did a most beautiful and inspiring tangle. I hope both of you with your extremely painful toe, and Artoo with his on-going health issues get some peace and rest during this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you actually posted this blog update at 6am, I shudder to think what time you must have gotten out of bed in order to get it done.

    My one wish for you today is a nap.

    And your zendala is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please say thank you so much to Chewie for pick my name for Amanda Day :-) I am honoured! Ouch! about your toes and Artoo! Hope Artoo will be okay with those spots. Hope you enjoy view my work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Owie toe! Hope you feel better soon.

    I'm glad the tumble didn't hurt your little one. I had one brother who used to fall down the stairs. My mom said he would tumble every time the phone rang! He never got more than a bruise. I think kids are more "squishy" than us grown-ups.

    Thanks for another great tangle. I had to think for quite a while to come up with something, but I'm really happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Laura,

    I thought I would introduce myself. I am an ethusiastic newcommer to Zentangle and this is my first challenge submission. I am a recovering CPA and jewelry artist and Wanaree Tanner recommended zentangle for creating patterns for Jewelry and I am now hooked. I have never been much of a drawer and am amazed at what I can create.

    Warmest Regards,

    Cindy (Peaceofshine)
    peaceofshine.deviantart.com/
    artfire.com/users/Peaceofshine
    etsy.com/shop/Peaceofshine
    flickr.com/photos/53935842@N07/

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like you have had a week of it again. I broke my little toe a few years ago and it is SOOOO painful for suce a tiny part of the body, I hope if feels better soon. I also have a speedy crawler in the house who sees the stairs as a playground given half a chance, I can't think of anything worse than seeing him go down.

    This was a lovely challenge, I really enjoyed doing it. I'm so pleased I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Zendala tile is GORGEOUS! You really put some soul and creativity into it! Thanks for getting the slideshow up. I think we're all aware that you have many things on your plate right now, so I really appreciate that you're working so hard on your challenges. I'm off to visit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. my goodness, crazy times you're having...hope this Amanda Day turns things around for you. Love your zendala, awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ouch!
    Thanks Chewie, Amanda is a super name and your Mum has created a stunning Zendala!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh dear I had to do anouther one. I love your kiddies nicknames. I am a big trekkie. Thanks for sharing you triumphs and struggles with your readers. I hope your week goes much smoother.

    Warmest Regards,

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your zendala is fabulous. I have been doing them on ATCs (yes, circle on a rectangle) and am both excited and intimidated to use an actual circlular tile when mine arrive. You are inspiration, in this and in the wonder-full life you live.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Laura, your pinkie toe is like mother of all black eye :) hope you get better soon,
    Thanks Chewie we had fun doing Amanda day :)
    and Laura your zendala is WOW!!
    Have a great no emergency week filled with fun and laughter

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's amazing what one tiny little toe can do to mess up your life! I went through it a couple years ago. Ouch! Hope you heal quickly

    ReplyDelete
  30. this was a bit of a "challenge" for me. i had no idea how to make this earth-y, so i put in a dragonfly. my understanding is that this is called "zentangle-inspired art". hopefully that is alright to include that in this post? it was a lot of fun! now to look at everyone's beautiful work :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Not sure this entry is "earthy" enough, but it was fun. Your zendala Laura is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I hope your foot is better by now. I never knew that I could move as fast as I can until I had kids. Your zendala is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your Zendala! Here's hoping life is easing up at Casa Diva -- enough already!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So sorry that I appear twice up there. But thank you for this challenge. It was very inspiring, and I hope your foot feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for this weeks wonderful challenge. Sorry about all your misfortunes.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fun Challenge!!! Love the "Amanda" name...tell Chewie Thanks for the new earth name!!! So sorry about your poor little pinky! Been there, done that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. There was a day when I was sad that my life was "boring." I bet you are wishing for some boring about now.

    happy healing to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey Laura -- I hope your foot is better soon! I actually had this done last Sunday but didn't get around to posting it before tonight. :) It's on my blog. Enjoy :)
    take care
    -genie

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ouch! That toe looks like it hurts. Have broken that same toe before... dancing of all things!

    Loved your tangle and was very inspired by it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ouch is right! That really looks painful. Hope you heal quickly. I love all the things kids think of and come up with....Amanda Day is great! Some day you will look back on these posts and will have a great record of all the wonderful kid moments you share with us. Love your Zendala!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hope you are healing well, Laura! Wonderful challenge. The submissions are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  42. thanks for all the challenges and no mean feat (feet?!) getting the slideshows done when you've got such a busy life with those boys!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I hope things have calmed down in your household and that everyone is well now! I am so sorry to hear of your injury (I am a klutz and have had my share of foot injuries myself, so I can truly relate) and Artoo's virus. My Amanda Day tile is my very first Zendala...it was a blank, so I had to establish my own string. I went for asymmetry. It was fun, but now I am eager to try one of the prestrung Zendala tiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear your toe is doing better--and hugs to your two sweet little ones! Love, love, love your 'Amanda' zendala!! Thanks for a great challenge!

      Delete
  44. Love this one! Two of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  45. For some strange reason I didn't notice your zendala before! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!