Monday, April 30, 2012

Weekly Challenge #68

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone.
A few good things of note:
  1.  Today marks my 200th post!! Hooray!!  :) so exciting.
  2. My foot is feeling much better now, and only hurts when i've been on my feet all day.
  3. Artoo didn't seem to get any more red spots, so we have hopefully skipped the chicken pox.
  4. I managed to get some slideshows up and running!! if you missed them this week, here they are: "#66 Laura's Auras", "#58 Four Diamonds", "#59 Mardi Gras", "#60 DuoTangle v.III Cirquital/Munchin"
  5. we got our internet upgraded this week, and i did some laptop cleaning, so things are moving a bit faster now.  hopefully i can get another 4 slideshows up and running this week.  We'll see!
  6. it's the annual countdown to my birthday!! (WOOT WOOT!!) I'll be 32 on the 12th of May... i still feel 22....
On the home front - Artoo had some neurology tests done this week - just to measure brain waves to stimuli.   It was a challenging day for him and I, but we pulled through.  We think that he is teething/growing currently - he is one grumpy boy.

Chewie and i did some painting outside this week... we are both so excited that the weather is getting nicer - although it's supposed to rain all week.  Boo.

me and chewie, sayin' hello!
But!! one of the best things about this week is that Artoo started to crawl this week!! He'd been doing the army man crawl for months now, but this weekend, he's started figuring out that he can move on all fours!! This is so exciting for us, he is almost 19 months old and just starting to crawl.  Part of his syndrome is that he has low muscle tone, so he's been behind developmentally in some of those mobility milestones...  anyway, i couldn't be prouder.

Weekly Challenge #68: "DuoTangle v.IV: Hybrid/Strircles"

This week's challenge is to create a DuoTangle using the two official tangles Hybrid and Strircles

nuthin' but strircles and hybrid

Y'know, i really love these duo-tangle challenges.

For those of you who are new to the weekly challenge (waves hello!! Welcome here!!) a Duotangle is a tile done using only two tangles (and tangleations/variations of those tangles).  This is another one of those instances of finding the elegance of limitation. 

When you are limited you find creativity in unexpected places, and to me - that is the essence of Zentangle.  Finding that beauty, that spark - in a place you weren't expecting, because there is no plan.  What a wonderful piece of joy that is. 


OOH! and don't forget that next week is a Use My Tangle challenge, so if you have a tangle you've created, click on this link to see if it follows the guidelines - and maybe next week's challenge will be YOUR tangle!!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)
Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. 
Hey - i should note here quickly that i try my best to get the slideshows up in a timely fashion, but sometimes my life gets in the way (like when Artoo spends a week in the hospital, just for example) so, please be patient.  thanks.  HUG
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

37 comments:

  1. This will be my first challenge, I'm looking forward to it and thanks for hosting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Tim!! always great to have new zentanglin' buddies!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad things seem to be "looking up" for you and your family.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your boys are AMAZING! I'm so proud of Artoo. My little granddaughter, Audrey, is just emerging from the army crawl to the all fours. She's gettin' into things now! :D
    This looks like such an interesting challenge, limiting ourselves to two tangles! I hope I can develop your creativity in finding so many variations!
    Artoo is in my prayers.
    Thanks for the artistic inspiration you bring to us each week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to hear good news from your household this week - glad things are looking up! this challenge will be a challenge for me, for sure, can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great challenge because a challenge it was for me. Thanks for forcing me to think outside of my comfort zone. Wow, you were busy this week! Thank you for all the slide shows and for your constant encouragement to pursue new thought. Your tile is fantastic and a real inspiration! Go Artoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way Laura, the more that I look at your tile the more amazing it becomes. So much to see and absorb.

      Delete
  6. Great challenge this week! It's great to get back in touch with tangles I haven't used in a while or completely missed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This challenge was even more challenging than I expected. I have new respect for your skills in coming up with so many variations!:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first read the challenge I knew it was going to be even more of a challenge than normal. I do not resinate with either of these patterns and was unsure I could let the creativity happen with such resistence. I am happy to say that my subconscious came through and helped me out with a little friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, this one was a definite challenge for me! it was fun, though :). i want to get more experience drawing so i can start making my pictures more detailed and intricate. i just don't have the ideas come to me the way i'd like. i'm guessing this comes in time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. when i put together a duo-tangle, i like to put two tangles together that i wouldn't normally use, or use together... y'know, force that creativity out there. ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the challenge. I wasn't sure how it would turn out but it was very fun. For my second one I hope to have a unique submission. If I get to it after doing garage cleaning. Yea Artoo!!! :) Would love to see some of Chewie's tangles.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that things are going well at your house and congratulations on Artoo's crawling...I think, ha ha. Now Mom is going to be even busier chasing him around all day. -_-

    I never did either of these tangles but really wound up liking them both, so I really appreciate the "challenge" of your challenge this week. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear things are going well in your world and so wonderful about Artoo!

    Thanks for another fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great challenge. I had not used Hybrid before and very much enjoyed the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to Artoo on his new accomplishments! How exciting and wonderful for you all. This was a hard challenge. But thank you for it, Laura. I am glad your toes are better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi ! I am taking up such a challenge for the first time and it indeed was a joy to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so happy to hear Artoo is crawling. Watch out Chewie, he'll be in to your stuff.
    This week's challenge was just that for me. Although I use both tangles, I couldn't get them together and when I finally did...not pretty.
    But won't miss it. Thanks Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry that my first post didn't follow the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your duo-tangle tile Laura, Great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for such an inspiring blog. This is my first challenge entry. I'm a newbie! You have a beautiful family. Wonderful to see such a dedicated mom!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the duo tangle challenges! Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for inspiration of Duo tangles for my Zendala Dare #3 :-) Brilliant challenge to use Duo tangles and enjoyed doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for another fun challenge!

    Did you change your website? I've been having trouble with it all week :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Cris, i haven't changed anything. I'm sorry you're having trouble.
      is anyone else having issues??

      Delete
    2. I did for one day but I think it was my work network not your site.

      Delete
  24. Hey Laura -- I'm not having any issues. I did finish this tile and I did 2 of them because I wasn't too pleased with the first one. They're on the same post. :) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You always select such good pairs for these duotangle challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This one was the first one that I posted and while I love both the tangles, found the "strings" to be challenging! Yes, I know my name is up there twice, but on the first one it sends you to a search engine on Flickr. The second one works (I checked). I started a brand new blog today just to enter this challenge, lolololol! I've been meaning to for several days, but didn't get around to it. I need to tell you how much I love your challenges. I followed them for the last three weeks, but this was the first one I entered. I'm brand new, and learning a bunch, and am trying like crazy to schedule a class with Carolyn, a CZT who lives (only) 115 miles from me. I'm glad I didn't look at the entries before I put mine up, or I might have chickened out! Looking forward to participating again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was a big challenge thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Laura, Your challenge was quite a challenge this week. I missed posting the past few weeks because I did not know how to load my pictures from the IPAD to my blog. Happy to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is my first time trying your challenge and I really enjoyed it. I have never tried a duo challenge before and it took a while to get started but I liked the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow, it's really hard to do just two tangles, there was more I wanted to do.....maybe that's why it took me so long...lol. A bit late, but hopefully not too late. thanks for the opportunity to work on the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have submitted my 2nd zentangle inspired jewelry piece based on the hybrid and strircles challenge. The 1st piece is in my deviant art gallery:

    http://peaceofshine.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4shfu4

    Thanks so much Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loved this challenge--and love learning to tangle!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!