Monday, April 16, 2012

Weekly Challnge #66

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone.
Wow.  What a week.  I'm happy to report that Artoo was discharged from the Hospital Friday afternoon - and we are SOOO happy to be home.   For those of you who don't know, Artoo has an extremely rare neurological disorder called Moebius Syndrome, and one of the things he struggles with is handling any excess secretions that are associated with things like viruses.

Artoo tested positive for the Boca Virus, which caused a respiratory tract infection, which led to full blown pneumonia.  I won't post too much here about the 'joys' of being in pediatric isolation, but Artoo spent the better part of five days on oxygen until the antibiotics were able to kick in and do their job.  He's still not 100% yet.  He's no longer on oxygen, but he still does require pretty frequent suctioning.

When Artoo is in the hospital, that means that i'm in the hospital too.  We 'checked in' Monday morning - and i never left his side except to grab coffee from the Starbucks downstairs and the occasional GLORIOUS shower...(this was our 6th time being hospitalized and the very FIRST time that any one told me about the parents' shower... O_O) .  I'm what they call an 'active' parent - the nurses like me because they really don't have to do much.  I take care of Artoo's suctioning, medications, feeding, changes... Essentially, we were there for the canned air.  Everything else we could have done at home.  BUT - this is our life.  :D

I want to say thank you to everyone who left comments, and posted on facebook, or sent me emails saying that we were in your thoughts and prayers.  I didn't actually get a chance to read any of them until Wednesday or Thursday, but when i did - it was overwhelming to feel the love and support from our extended Zentangle Family. 


Weekly Challenge #66: Laura's Auras
Ha, this actually has nothing to do with me, but i just like how Laura and Aura rhyme. :)

This week's challenge is to make use of the Zentangle trick - auras.  An aura is the line that outlines a shape or tangle.  As you repeat the outline, the aura grows and expands and changes. 
source
There are several tangles that utilize auras in their drawing steps - such as the Official tangle Crescent Moon or Margaret Bremner's Dansk is another great example, but auras can also be used to enhance your Zentangle.


Here's my tile - ugh, i'm not too wild about it, but i kinda have a policy to post my tiles, even if i think they're crap. lol.  It's all about the process, not the product for me, anyway.

In my tile, i was trying to experiment a little bit.  i think where my tile went horribly wrong was when i tried playing with auras and Tripoli (the triangles in the top part of the tile) i really liked the idea in theory, but in practice it needs a bit of work. lol.  You can see where i did some auras around a few triangles, and in other triangles i tried doing auras on the inside.

So, this week's challenge is to play around with Auras!  Have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.

I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

39 comments:

  1. Welcome home Artoo and family! Glad to see you smiling in the photo. You've had a rough week! I look forward to playing with some Laura's Auras:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are home and doing better. It was a lonely week without you! What a fun challenge. I understand what you mean about the process being the most important part. Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are back home, and Artoo is getting better - you both look great! I'm looking forward to this week's challenge as auras are something I haven't done much with. Best wishes for a healthy week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that Artoo is home and doing better. Good thoughts for a continued recovery. I too, don't always like my tiles but I've learned that pushing though helps me a lot because there is always a lesson/tip/trick that I find when doing the challenges. Thanks for all of your efforts. I hope you get some good rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful news about Artoo! You are an awesome mother.
    Thank you for this week's challenge. I start my advanced classes off with exploring the fun of aura's. With two new advanced classes just started, I will be sending my students here. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you Baby's back home and you're a great Mom and lucky to have time to spend at the Hospital with Artoo. I bet the Nurses like you. More time they have to tend to other sick patients when he's admitted. It must be scary for a Baby to be left at the Hospital with Strangers and their parents not around. He's looking good.

    I love putting Auras around tangles. Auras does inhances the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, It's so good to have you back and to see Artoo is doing better. My prayers are still with you that he continues to get well.

    This was a fun challenge.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad he's doing better. I'll continue praying for him to get back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, so glad to see that you and Artoo are doing well. Thanks for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a relief it must be to be back in your own home! Hope Artoo continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really pleased to hear that Artoo is back home, it must have been a tough week for you. I really enjoyed that challenge, think I may have to play with more auras later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's really nice that things are better, what an experience for you two!!
    with the frequency of these infections, do the Drs. talk about resistance to antibiotics?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great challenge. Good to hear that Artoo is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear Artoo is feeling better! Thanks for the fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy to hear that you're home! Hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad your little guy is home and doing better. Great idea for a challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad Artoo is home! Thanks again for a wonderful challenge! I don't know how you do it every week with all of the other things going on in your busy life! But I sure am glad you do!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of auras going on in your zentangle! So glad to see you and Artoo are home. I'm sure you're both much happier there! Thanks for taking the time to think of us and continue your challenges! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bright auras all around with your happy smile and great tile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you and your baby are home again :) My ZT is up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad that Artoo is improving. I am so glad you let us know what was going on so we could lift you up in prayer, keep you in our thoughts, focusing positive, loving, and healing energy your way. Knowing your difficulties of last week made me appreciate this week's challenge even more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to hear your little one is getting better - must be so hard for you all!
    thanks for the weekly challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so glad you, Laura and Artoo are home safe and recuperating in a familiar place. I enjoyed this challenge, so did two.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy to see Little Artoo doing well and back home. We missed you guys!! Stay well, sending hugs, love and Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome home everyone! I think your Tripoli is simply divoon. Your Opus inspired me and my tile...stop by and see. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  26. OK, i took the leap and posted my first challenge. brand new to this idea - but love zentangle so far!

    glad Artoo is back home! still praying for him and you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad you are back home and Artoo in on the mend again! Hugs to both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hope Artoo is doing better and better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm new to this. sorry to hear your son is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy to hear that your little one is on the mend. Lots of love being sent your way. Thanks for posting this challenge between you and Erin I'm finally doing Zentangles instead of just buying all the books!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hellllloooo everyone!!! Very glad that Artoo is recovering now and pleased for Laura. Glad to be back in challenge. Have a peek in my blog to see some works that I did for this challenge and works that I have done last week.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Laura, you are an awesome MOM. I also have two young boys, but can't imagine what your normal routine is like with Artoo's care. I hope things are beginning to settle down and you had a chance to rest! Thanks for your continued Zentangle direction and inspiration, and letting us be a part of your family and creating the Zentangle family!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your tile. Happy hugs to you, B-rad, Chewie and Artoo.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Like your tile better than mine! I did get it done though... Am still new at this. :) Glad to hear that Artoo is home with everyone now.
    -genie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Glad to have a Challenge this week - lots of fun! Hope it everyone's last trip to the hospital for a long l-o-n-g time!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Glad that Artoo's doing so much better. There's nothing quite like a hospital stay to make you appreciate being at home.

    Sorry, I accidentally posted my link on the last challenge instead of this one... I reposted it in the right place, but you still have a rogue link bouncing around somewhere in the linky machine.

    ReplyDelete
  37. So glad that Artoo is doing so much better! I missed you! I had to "Zentangle" on my own inspiration...and I missed seeing everyone's! Now, I don't mean this to be giving you a bad time....just wanted you to know how much I enjoy the weekly challenges!!! And I hope for your sake and your family that we never miss one again!!! Best of health to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looky that! I'm #66 entry on Challenge #66!
    Laura, I'm so happy that little Artoo is doing much better. Now, I hope you survive the chicken pox! Good luck. I always seem to say this, but it's oh, so true....you are one amazing woman/mother/wife! Thanks for all you do. Healthy wishes to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hope your toe feels better. I have broken that same one three times now. I'm not as narrow as I think I am I guess! :-) Thanks again for the great challenge.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!