Monday, May 14, 2012

Weekly Challenge #70

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone.

Well, this weekend was crazy - full of ups and downs.  B-rad has been battling what we think is a sinus infection, and with my birthday date night coming up we were hoping he'd be feeling better by then.

we had some nice days, but some rainy days - we had to find things to do.... and we did. 

Inspector Chewie will solve the case
 When the day of the "big Date" finally got here, B-rad held it together and we went out to supper at the best Indian place around, The Taj Mahal.
He put on a brave face for me.
I ordered a glass of wine, and got an extra large glass by happy accident! Happy Birthday!

wearin' my new perrdy dress - drinking my tasty tasty wine...
The food was ultra tasty - probably THE BEST pekoras and samosas i've ever had.
oh my.... oh my my my

Mmmm i don't even remember what it was but it was so good

This is a shot of the cake that Chewie and Daddy bought for me
 After the most tasty meal, B-rad and i walked to the theatre and saw Dark Shadows, which was not at all what i was expecting.  The trailers make it out to be this light comedy, but it definitely had a dark twist that i loved.

after the movie, it turned out the B-rad really REALLY wasn't feeling well.  So, i drove us home, the date night over.

My mother, who was staying overnight for our big date - cleaned my whole house! best birthday gift ever.

Mothers Day was fairly uneventful, as B-rad is still not feeling well.  B-rad rested while I took the boys to my mom's for a birthday/mothers day dinner and B-rad stayed home.  It's been declared that i shall get a Mothers Day do-over.   

Happy Mother's Day!
How was everyone elses' weeks?


Weekly Challenge #70: "Colour me Sepia"
In honour of my birthday, i wanted to do a colour challenge - with one of my favourite colours... Brown. ;)

A Zentangle®, in the traditional sense, is done in black and white with pencil shading.  I was asked one time in a Zentangle class why it is that we only use black and white - and to that i answered Zentangle is designed to remove the obstacles that we place in front of ourselves when beginning art.

By only using the gray scale spectrum we eliminate the decision of what colours to use - so there's no thinking, there's no reason not to start.  By only having black or white or gray to choose from, it takes away a level of stress that some people feel when beginning an art project.  

So, with all that being said - this challenge is designed to gently dip into colour.  Instead of the whole colour palette - we pare it down to just one... brown - or sepia.
I used a blind string to start off with, and used my
Sakura Micro Sepia pen to do what ended up looking a big like a snake. lol
I also used Margaret Bremner's new tangle "Shing"
So, this week in your tile, or your ZIA - if you've never used colour before - this is your chance to dip your toe in the water.  Find a brown pen, or marker, or a wash of brown watercolour, or brown paper... even a brown paper bag would be great -  If you're a veteran i know you'll have fun!!

(Also, i apologize for any of the typos and grammatical errors in today's post - B-rad is Weekly Challenge Editor in Chief, and he's so adorably sleeping on the couch and i can't bare to wake him.)
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. 
Hey - i should note here quickly that i try my best to get the slideshows up in a timely fashion, but sometimes my life gets in the way (like when Artoo spends a week in the hospital, just for example) so, please be patient.  thanks.  HUG
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

44 comments:

  1. i hope B-rad starts feeling better really soon! and i know you have a marvelous Mother's Day waiting for you :) it will be super fun and super special!

    this will be a fun challenge this week! time to go get started! thanks for all the work you do for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun challenge, thanks, Laura. I hope B-Rad is feeling better soon. Those sinus infections are so miserable. You asked how our week's were.....mine was pretty darn special as our daughter, the first to make me a "mom" and all grown up herself now came down from NY to spend Thursday through this morning with us here in FL for Mother's Day and I heard from both son's and their families with gifts, Facetime and phone calls. So, it was a very special week and Mother's Day. Sorry yours was not 100%. I've been there, too, and I was feeling for you as I read your week's story. Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day redo very, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Often the very best celebrations occur on the day we are not "scheduled" to celebrate. I hope your day is soon and wonderful.
    My "children" are spread to the wind but I heard from each of them. My husband and I had a sumptuous breakfast and I went off to work.
    Fun challenge. I think my primitive side came out to play.
    Thanks for all of your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday
    Happy Mothers Day
    Get Well Soon B-rad....
    Mothers day was celebrated with a darling dear friend's baby shower as she gets ready to join Motherhood and a down the memory lane for the old mums :)
    It looks like you had a feast , the food is yummy and scrummy.
    Thanks for the sepia challenge can't believe its 70!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You looked lovely on your date! Your hubby was very brave and I give him tons of cred for not standing you up, lol! Your mom is a winner as well! Hope you have your day soon, and B-rad heals quickly!

    I don't own a sepia pen, so I'll try one of the other options...I hope...if I get around to it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your tile! This was a fun challenge. Adding a color is so refreshing.

    You all look great in your photos! Hope everyone is back to being healthy. Happy belated birthday, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birtday Sorry I uploaded the wrong one. Nr 7 is the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had your challenges this week, and yet you also had a wonderful time oh, and the food looks so good! I hope B-rad feels better really soon. I had to try and find a Sepia pen...that was my biggest challenge! I am so grateful to have a new pen! Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you had a delicious meal to enjoy to hi-light your Mother's Day. Sorry B-rad didn't feel good, but at least your boys do. Sometimes I get both B-rad and your older son mixed up. I keep thinking your older son is B-rad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers for your Happy Birthday and Happy Mother's Day too!
    Lovely sepia touch in your tile like a celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, and hope B-rad feels better really soon. I love this week's challenge. Brown is one of my colors. I like the zentangle you did with just a touch of Sepia. I started early looking at entries this week because you have so many faithful folks who enter that it's hard to get through them all. I'll be back every day to see new ones. Thanks again for doing this for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Laura - glad you got your evening out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Laura,
    Love your tile with the sepia ribbon in it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday from me too ,it looks like it was a good night out .You deserved it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Laura, and thank you for another wonderful challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! Thanks for the great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Date nights are always fun! LOVE your tile using the new tangle! I'm beginning to try color on several of my tiles! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the first full tangle I've done in color... thanks for the challenge :o)
    I don't know how people with children get anything done, but you seem to juggle quite a bit (and do it well). Glad you had a good night out on the town!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Soo...I posted in the wrong thread (again) earlier, but I finally figured out what I've been doing wrong. Lesson learned: avoid the 'tab' key! Instead of jumping from the 'name' field to the 'URL' field, it was jumping from the 'name' field to the previous week's blog post. Good to know. Sorry. :o/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Once again a fun challenge. Hopefully, i've figured out how to comment. No only am I fairly new to tangling I'm also new to most technology!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this challenge. It made me think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you had a great Birthday! Love the sepia touch.
    I'm So glad to get something posted in time this week. Looking foward to hopefully more tangle time this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look so lovely and happy at your birthday dinner/date night. I am happy you were able to get that under your belt before B-rad got sick. The little delay in Mother's Day will spread out the joy of a special treat. I love your tangle and will be interested in trying the "Shing" pattern. I was a little nervous about doing colors, but really had fun with it! Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy belated birthday and Mother's day! Had fun playing with the sepia/browns this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My very first weekly challenge! :)) thank you for taking time in your busy life to organise these challenges. I've been viewing all the wonderful works for several weeks now and I am in awe - has kept me inspired - I love it!! enjoy your week - cheers from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you! This was great! Can't wait to see all the others now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My first weekly challenge, that I have posted, I have been following for some time now, but was not good enough to post, still now but I'm trying anyway, thanks to you for your hard work, you have the most precious children, hope you enjoy my tangles

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry I messed up on th Linky but the second one workes...sorry

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Laura Happy Birthday! Sorry your hubby is under the weather. This was a fun Challenge. The sepia really gives an additional dimension to the Zen.

    Have a happy day!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Laura, Happy Birthday. This was a fun challenge which really took me out of my comfort zone of black. I will try using brown again more often now!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi everyone! This is my first challenge. I had a lot of fun with this. love using color to change it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just entered my first post for the weekly challenge. I've been watching for a while and practicing Zentangle for only a couple months. I hope to join in and start posting for each weekly challenge. I love your site and seeing everyone's work; it's awesome inspiration.
    Lidawma

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great challenge and amazing creativity by all!

    ReplyDelete
  34. In some psychic-connection twist of fate, I used my *brand new* sepia pens that my husband *just bought* for me that I had *planned* to use on my very next tile before I even saw your challenge. Check it out; I love my sepias!! Diana Hirsch

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your interpretation of "shing". This was a fun challenge, I've been wanting to try some sepia tones.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Birthday & Mother's day! Hope B-rad feels better soon. Love your tile. Another fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Birthday! It looks like you had a lovely meal out, I hope B-rad is on the mend now. I have't done the challenge for a couple of week (I've had the sewing machine out instead!) so it was good to get back into it this week. The sepia was a challenge but I enjoyed it when I got going. x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy Birthday Laura. I loved this weeks challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hope you had a very happy Happy Birthday! I'm about 6 minutes late tonight - I'm hoping you won't notice! Loved this weeks challenge - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Lesley, it's only 10 pm here. ;)

      Delete
  40. I'm late but I'm here! Happy belated Birthday! It looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I finished my Zentangle "Color me Sepia" a bit late. But I have finished it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!