Monday, May 21, 2012

Weekly Challenge #71

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone.

Thanks for all your birthday wishes in the comments last week.  32 really feels eerily like 31... which felt very similar to 30... honestly, i still feel about 24. 
my hilarious boy

I've spent the majority of the past week popping cold and sinus pills trying to beat this bloody cold.  it took most of the week, but i feel pretty good now... thankfully. 
playing in the backyard in Artoo's sun tent

This weekend is Victoria Day in Canada.  So, B-rad is off work - which makes Chewie and Artoo both ecstatic when they find out he's still here when they get up in the morning (makes me pretty happy too!) - we've been playing outside in the sun, and Sunday afternoon we went and got a bunch of flowers for my front flower bed, let's hope i can keep 'em alive (i don't have the greenest of thumbs) - i'll try to remember to snap a photo when they're all planted.
i love this pic so much - see how Chewie just loves Artoo?? awww
Also, tragically, my signature Red Glasses BROKE TODAY!! WAHHH!!!!!  i'm so sad.

oooh, a sad day.... poor Red Glasses....

Weekly Challenge #71: New Tangle - Pea-Nuckle
(If you're a regular here, you knew this was coming.) 

This week the founders of Zentangle(R) released a new tangle in their Zentangle Newsletter created by Maria's daughter, Molly Hollibough.  If you're not already subscribed, you can do so here

This tangle is pretty great, and the more i did it, the more i loved it.  You can find the instructions to Pea-Nuckle here.
Pea-Nuckle tile
Funny thing about my tile... I started it in the morning then when i went to finish in the evening - i was working in the dimly lit rumpus room while B-rad was feeding Artoo a bottle.  I was using my laptop desk with a little working lamp and i suddenly realized that i was using a purple micron.  oh man.  i was really annoyed... and was very close to starting over when i remembered that there are no mistakes in Zentangle - and redoing it would kind of defeat the purpose, so i carried on.  and i kinda like it. Purple mistakes and all. 

So, the challenge is to use Pea-Nuckle in your tile or ZIA!  Have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. 
Hey - i should note here quickly that i try my best to get the slideshows up in a timely fashion, but sometimes my life gets in the way (like when Artoo spends a week in the hospital, just for example) so, please be patient.  thanks.  HUG
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

43 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the flowers! Love the inspiration of color. I am glad you are feeling better! I knew that pea-knuckle was coming. I have had fun playing with it a bit already. I am happy you used it so that I could try to think outside of the box. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to comment on your tile. The depth that you have achieved with your shading is fantastic! The purple accents and the white spaces that you left give it character and wonderful dimension. Beautiful tile!

      Delete
  2. This one looks challenging! But what is the tangle that looks like a snail thingy? That's really interesting, too! You did a great job and I'm glad there are no mistakes with zentangling!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too had a feeling that pea-knuckle was coming, but even though I had practiced it a couple of times, I'm still having difficulty with it. Certainly was a challenge for me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    I love your zentangle! My first thought on seeing it was, "Oh, I love the subtle color variation!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, get used to it. I still feel 24! It's a bit disconcerting at times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! And I still 24 and I'm more than twice that.

    Love your tangle. I posted a few tips on my blog for people having trouble with Pea-knuckle and should have a video tomorrow. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! I think I've been doing it wrong. :( Oh well, that's a good excuse to keep trying! :)

      Delete
    2. Wrong? I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do any tangle. That's just how I do it.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear things are on the upswing now and love seeing your boys outside. Ahhhh, summertime! Yes, as others have said, Laura, I'm in my mid-sixties and still feel 24 in my head. Of course, the doggone mirror always tells me otherwise. But, other than gaining a few emotional lumps and bumps and some wisdom over the years, I'm still 24 in my brain. Now you know why you sometimes see old ladies wearing teenaged outfits and makeup. I've got make a conscious effort to stay out of the Juniors department. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. 24!! my mind stopped at 18. Ah well....our grandson is almost 18 so I had better get the heck out of that head space....
    Everyone....have fun with Pea- Nuckle. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOOOOOoooh, I see help has already arrived on Pea-nuckel. You will see I need it, but there are no mistakes in Zentangle, right?
    Love the photos of the guys outside enjoying the fresh air. It always seems like we are well into summer before spring hits Saskatchewan.
    Thanks for another "challenge".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your touch of purple was meant to be, it adds a nice touch of brightness! I hope you find a new pair of jazzy red glasses, I had green frames once and loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to practice your snail spiral. THanks for the challenge - had so much fun playing with Pea-nuckle! My second tile makes me think Mexican
    Fiesta?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still loving Pea-Knuckle. I put together a video (amateurish & overly long) that might help some.

    You know what's funny? I first viewed your tangle from my iPhone and didn't eve notice that purple? Love it though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This certainly was a challenge - for me its not the easiest of patterns, fun, in any case... Have a lovely week! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes, Pea-nuckle WAS a challenge!! I grew to really, really like it though. Thanks for pushing us along, Laura. Goodness knows I need that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble with Pea-Nuckle (I was even spelling it wrong lol). I finally made one tile that seemed fit to post so I did. It's only my second post for the challenges so please visit my blog and leave a comment. I try to visit all the pics and leave comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my second post also, and I am very excited and it will be hard to wait til next monday....cant wait to see what everyone else has done, thanks again....

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is such a cute tangle pattern. Love the humerous photo of Chewie. Sorry you're not feeling well. Try making lemon tea with 2-3 cups of water, 2 whole lemons including the peel, honey and some fresh mint or ginger of you have it, cook them together on low heat until almost boiling. Extra Vitamin C and the Honey helps soothes your throat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for another fun challenge! Love all your pics and the purple works!! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for making pea-nuckle the challenge this week, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is always a challenge to accept your challenge...loving it! Your tile looks awesome especially the heart embedded inside!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It doesn't matter what age the calendar says we are, as long as our minds stay young! That's what I tell myself anyway...LOL! I love your tile. I see a heart shape with Purk as the pendant in the middle. The colors are a great contrast. Have a good week, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the great challenge! This one was indeed a challenge. I'll have to practice pea'nuckle more!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your little blush of purple! You did a fantastic job with pea-nuckle... it IS a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you're feeling better. Did the package arrive?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just stopped by to post my second attempt at pea-knuckle. I like this one a little better, but I'm still not good at that particular tangle! Sheesh! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I finally got something done I was willing to post. Special kudos to Cris, for her wonderfully helpful tips and video, to Lee Ann, for her great tutorial on coloring ZIA's, and to the Diva herself, for creating this opportunity for us to learn and grow. Now off to comment on the 55 (sheesh) entries before I got mine done, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My first link didn't work; #56 above, so I re-entered it, because I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had such a tough time with this but uploaded my design anyway. I will keep working at it. I hadn't seen the link to the video, so I'll watch that now...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Laura for all the work you do every week to give everyone your challenge. After man-n-n-ny attempts at Pea-Knuckle this is what I came up with

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been playing with Pea-nuckle since the Zentangle newsletter came out, but today's play was too much fun, my hand just sort of went out on its own and I had another one of those wonderful 'flow' moments where new twists, and dare I say, new cousins were born.. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This one was definitely a challenge for me. Took lots of practice to do it! lol, but I finally did one that I like. Hope y'all like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really like Pea-nuckle. I've been using it everywhere all week. Thanks for the challenges, too. They help me focus my attempts, instead of dithering about which patterns to use. This was my first, since I'm new to this art form; but I look forward to many more in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hola de nuevo!
    Este enredo me ha resultado complicado y he tenido que practicar mucho para obtener un pobre resultado y cuando vuelvo a tu casa y releo el post... Oh, sorpresa! Tú también habías puesto PURK en tu azulejo!! Me ha gustado la coincidencia.
    Saludos desde España

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saludos desde Canadá!
      Sí, es una maraña difícil de dominar, pero es definitivamente vale la pena. Hay un video de instrucciones en youtube si quieres algunos consejos adicionales. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1diFbmg4eg&feature=youtu.be
      Tener un día maravilloso! (Traducido con Google Translate, así que me disculpo por cualquier ups mezcla en mi español)

      Delete
  34. I don't know if anyone will even read this, but I wanted to mention that the picassa sites won't let me leave a comment; and a couple of places I went, when I left the comment it didn't publish, even tho I think I did everything right. So if you don't see a comment from me that's why. Because I'm in the process of looking at all of them. I'm more than half done. I have eto start early because this is such a popular challenge, and there are so many entries. Good Job, Erin!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just in time for another fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Whoops! The fingers did it again...hit the wrong button before I was finished posting the right site for this week....sorry!!! Bad fingers!!! No control!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Whew! I'm sliding in here at the very end of the challenge. Pea-nuckle is fun; I'm glad you had us focus on it this week, Laura! I'm sorry that your red glasses are out of commission...but glad that your purple micron jumped into the tangle action on your tile this week!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for another great challenge!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!