Monday, June 25, 2012

Weekly Challenge #76

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone.
we're going to jump right to the challenge today... Artoo spent the weekend in the hospital under observation for a viral respiratory infection.  He's home now, but is still far from well.  Our family is recovering. 

Weekly Challenge #76: "Home"
The first weekend in July is our Patriotic Holiday here in Canada - July 1st being Canada Day.   Also, Independence Day is July 4th - so why not celebrate our homes in this week's challenge?  

I live in Saskatchewan, prairie country - land of blizzards and 2' snow falls in the winter and in the summer; blowing wheat or yellow canola fields, The Saskatchewan Roughriders (our CFL Football team - not that i'm a big football fan...at all....) big blue skies - calm blue and serene or thunderous and wild, or dancing with colour thanks to the Northern lights

summer storms out my front door - not edited, the sky really was this colour

Saskatchewan Prairie
Prairie wind
My interpretation of Saskatchewan can be seen here - my wheat field in the lower right corner, the sun in the top right, a big harvest moon on the left - and the swirling Northern Lights overhead. 


The challenge is to create a tile or ZIA using your home as inspiration.  Your country, your province or state, your home town, or even your own backyard. 

Happy Canada Day fellow Canucks!! (and a happy Independence Day to our Yankee neighbours to the South!)
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. 
Hey - i should note here quickly that i try my best to get the slideshows up in a timely fashion, but sometimes my life gets in the way (like when Artoo spends a week in the hospital, just for example) so, please be patient.  thanks.  HUG
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

33 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear Artoo was/is sick. I hope he gets better very quickly. This weeks challenge looks really hard. Will see what comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tile is absolutely gorgeous. It is my favorite of all the ones you have posted. On the other hand, your challenge this week sounds REALLY challenging. Have to engage both sides of my brain for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this subject and I think I will be spending loads of time exploring the challenge. Laura, the photos and your tile are perfect incentives for me to want to visit your home. I love wheat fields....nothing more gorgeous! Isn't life grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to say I missed the part about Artoo, glad he is home, praying for his return to feeling well!

      Delete
  4. Lots of prayers for you and your family - keep us posted about Artoo. I love your tile. It is so gorgeous! I agree with everyone else though, this is going to be a real challenge! I am not sure where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing Artoo a speedy recovery! Love this week's challenge, thank you for taking the time, Laura. And, your tile is SUPER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoughts your way for Artoo and your family. I did 2 different pieces for this challenge. My first is all words describing 2 different places, and the 2nd is ZT and words about my current home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs to you and little Artoo! I love your tile and the beautiful pictures of Saskatchewan. It must be awesome to see the sky in all those lovely colors. This was a great challenge and I look forward to seeing what everyone does with this challenge. Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favorite challenge so far and I haven't even done it yet. There is already so much variety in people's interpretations of this theme. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea, love the way you created the Northern Lights. Keep safe and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I could become additcted to Zentangle. I have only recently found out about it and think about it a lot. Not sure if I have got the idea right but would welcome hints and tips. I think I should of re-sized my photo's before I uploaded them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chrissie, you're doing wonderfully well (says me, who's new to it all as well). Laura, thank you for a perfect challenge for me, and I hope little Artoo continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Lorraine, really liked your picture as well. I am hoping to visit Skye one of these years. I wonder if they will have lessons in Zentangle in the UK in the future.

      Delete
  12. Your pictures are beautiful, what an interesting place you live in! And your tile is fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great challenge!! And Happy Canada Day to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope Artoo is felling much better. Thanks for issuing the challenge. It was great fun, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your super cool tile! Happy Canada and Fourth to all who celebrate them...and a special hug to Artoo. I had fun with this challenge. Thanks as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, many prayers for you and your family; and fervent wishes for Artoo to get well quickly. About the challenge: I've only been involved a couple of months, but this is my favorite so far. First of all, it's a marvelous opportunity to find out more about all of you and where you call home. Secondly, Your tile is very beautiful and got me thinking about what I would do. Thirdly, I took the opportunity to learn even more about the state I live in. I must have googled for about an hour before I sat down and started my first tangle. Thanks, Laura, for the time you spend coming up with these challenges. I can hardly wait for each Monday to get here to find out what you've come up with next.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura, Your "Prairie Wind" tangle is just wonderful.
    this challenge offered so many opportunities, I had a had time picking my theme.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tangle was wonderful!! :) I also really enjoyed doing this tile this week after the difficult challenge of Cadent. I've just gotten that one done. I am curious -- do you date your tile when you finish it or when you start it??
    Thanks for the marvelous challenge!
    -genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good question Genie,
      for me - dating my tile is part of my 'ritual' and i do it at the end... my process is:

      Dots
      border
      string
      tangle
      shading
      initials
      (flip to the back)
      sign
      date
      title (if applicable)
      and/or a few words about what i was doing or how i was feeling at the time.

      Delete
  19. what amazing therapy, this zentangle is...is really is yoga for the mind...and looking at everyone's weekly interpretation is the best!...i hope you stop by and visit my blog post...please comment too!...
    http://dorsethillbeads.blogspot.com/2012/06/where-do-i-live.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, as always, for the fun challenge! Your tile is beautiful - those fabulous wispy shapes always elude me. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. For probably 20 years we made our annual pilgrimage over the 4th of July weekend to visit family in Regina and Saskatoon. Your tile rings so true. The prairies have their own spectacular beauty. Thanks for the photos, and always, thanks for your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really LOVED this challenge . . . xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the challenge this week. We are struggling with a huge canyon fire near our community with a lot of homes lost. The Home theme was quite important for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your tile is beautiful. Thank you so much for another wonderful challenge. I hope you little Artoo is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't think I was going to make it in time for this challenge, been so busy with end of financial year. Thanks for another great challenge Laura. There are so many beautiful entries this week, but most of all I love reading about the different 'homes' - people are so very interesting - It is a big wide world out there, brought together by the fabulous world wide web, and without that we would be so further apart, our lives never to cross. I hope everyone has had a lovely week - smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVED this challenge... and a perfect time of year for it too.. our green hills and mountains were the perfect thing to tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Laura,
    As always you come up with the greatest ideas. I think this is my favorite challenge ever. I love seeing where everyone is from through the eyes of zen.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was quite the challenge for me to start with, I have tried to do a entangle using my morning walk as inspiration, however I felt like I was over thinking it. Which I was afraid would happen with this challenge. Amazingly tho I thought more about what was around me this time instead of things that were so specific and this worked so much better. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!