Monday, September 17, 2012

Weekly Challenge #87

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone!

This week in preparation for my return to work in October, i took Artoo to daycare for a trial run.  It was a sad day.... for me.... Artoo was fine - as i imagined he would be... but i didn't even get to the end of the block before i was in tears.

I know that he will be FINE at daycare, he has Chewie there to watch over him and to translate all his signs, and i know that i will be FINE to leave him - it's the germ cesspool that had me crying in my van.

In the end, he did great.  He played with the kids and had a great time, but by the end of the night he had a fever and we ended up taking him in for tonsillitis.  Logically, i know that he would have picked up this bug a few days prior, but his timing is impeccable.  Morning - Daycare, Evening - Fever.

i can hardly wait for his tonsillectomy in October.

in other news, i have been really struggling with pain in my right arm and hand.  I'm thinking carpel tunnel or tendonitis?  My arm regularly goes numb while i'm sleeping, and many times i feel like i'm losing feeling in my pinky and ring finger.  It's not fun.  It makes even the simple act of writing in my journal super painful... and also doing Zentangle tiles.  :(

Weekly Challenge #87: "String Theory v. XII: Pinwheels for Peace v.II"
Again - Amy Broady, a CZT in TN (hi!!) - reminded me that September 21 is the International Day of Peace
from the website:
Since its inception, Peace Day has marked our personal and planetary progress toward peace. It has grown to include millions of people in all parts of the world, and each year events are organized to commemorate and celebrate this day. Events range in scale from private gatherings to public concerts and forums where hundreds of thousands of people participate.
Anyone, anywhere can celebrate Peace Day. It can be as simple as lighting a candle at noon, or just sitting in silent meditation. [or in our case, creating Zentangle art - Laura] Or it can involve getting your co-workers, organization, community or government engaged in a large event. The impact if millions of people in all parts of the world, coming together for one day of peace, is immense.
Last year for International Day of Peace, we dedicated the weekly challenge (#40) to creating Zentangled Pinwheels inspired by this great website Pinwheels for Peace.  Pinwheels for Peace originally started as an art installation organized by two high school teachers in Florida.  They used the project as a way to teach kids how to express their feelings about the world and what's going on in it.  Since then, it's grown from 500,000 pinwheels the first year to 3.5 million last year!!

So, this week's challenge is to create your own pinwheel for peace.  You can do this in a few ways:
This is the string!

You can use this simple pinwheel string Amy created (Above), you can create your own pinwheel string, you can create a Pinwheel Zendala, or you can create an actual tangled Pinwheel using the template from the Pinwheels for Peace website!
i decided to use very simple tangles to keep this as child like as i could.
This week, in light of my arm/hand pain - i used simple tangles and i also used a 08 Pigma Micron instead of my usual 01.  This was very helpful, although i do feel as though i should ice my hand.

Can't wait to see your pinwheels.
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. 
Hey - i should note here quickly that i try my best to get the slideshows up in a timely fashion, but sometimes my life gets in the way (like when Artoo spends a week in the hospital, just for example) so, please be patient.  thanks.  HUG
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

38 comments:

  1. Laura- Could you perhaps post a pinwheel string. All of my attempts so far look nothing like a pinwheel.
    Thanks- Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jennifer,
      the string is posted above my zendala.
      cheers

      Delete
    2. I was hoping for one for your Zendala. I've got the cutout for the 3d pinwheel but I'm having trouble translating it to paper.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. i actually used Amy's string for my zendala, and i held my tile up to my screen and traced it.

      another method i've used is to colour darkly on the back of the printed string with your pencil, then lay it over top of your tile/zendala and trace over the string with a pen. the pressure of the pen will transfer enough of the rubbed pencil onto the tile that you'll be able to retrace it.

      hope that helps.

      Delete
    5. http://www.art-made-easy.com/transfer-an-image.html

      Delete
    6. I cant see the string either...Above the zendala it is only the link to the Pinwheel, how you make a real one.

      Delete
    7. the very first image on this post should be of a pinwheel string.

      to be clear, i have not posted a string for a zendala, and to do mine, i traced Amy's string onto a zendala tile.

      Delete
    8. Thank you for yrour patience, Laura. As my grandmother would say, if it would have been a snake it would have bit me. :-)

      Delete
  2. It feels great to celebrate peace! I'll certainly do this challenge, thanks again Laura for your awesome challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always glad to read your Monday morning postings. About the pain in the wrist/hand and numbness, I have been using a non surgical approach for my similar problems. You can buy a wrist wrap(not Ace bandage) that keeps your wrist in a certain position. I only use my at night now but it does help. You can use it during the day until you start getting good results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda,
      Yup, i've been sleeping with a wrist brace for the past week. it's been helping, but i feel the 'burn' after using my hand for sure. ice has been very helpful too.

      i'm hoping my chiropractor can help me out, i see her on saturday.

      Delete
  4. Laura, I used a chiropractor after quite a few years of painful wrist problems... and didn't oppt for surgery... and have had no pains now for over five years... NONE!!! Go to a Good one that will adjust your wrist and hands... It only took three visits... and was a lot less painful and cost effective than surgery...

    Thanks for the PEACE challenge... we all need to practice this each and every day of the year though...

    Thanks for all that you give under the situations that you are dealing with... dropping off little ones at the day care is a painful one... the first time I did that with my son he cried for over 3 hours... I was called by the day care person and went and picked him up... I took him the next day again.. and he was fine!!!! He just thought that I had given him away.??? Now that he is 36 we laugh about it... but it was scary for him then... and very painful for me... Go with your heart connection to him and do what you think is best. Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. do we have a Mister Linky this week?? ? can't find it on my set??? Dial up doesn't always show it anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercury must be in retrograde, i'm having nothing but problems with this post. lol

      the linky should be there now.

      Delete
  6. I don't have Mister Linky either and I'm not on dial up. However something on this page is triggering avast to warn me that it has blocked some malware, not sure what that could be since I trust this page completely and know you wouldn't put anything on here that would do any harm... just a heads up in case there is some advertising you have no control over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's odd, i'm not sure why that's happening.

      Delete
  7. Mr. Linky is working now. Thanks for fixing it!

    I'm sorry to hear that Artoo has to have his tonsils out, but maybe that will be the beginning of a healthier kiddo. My mom tells me that I was sick with infections all the time before having my tonsils out. After the surgery, I was a lot better. I'm crossing my fingers that that's true for Artoo. Fortunately, he won't remember too much of it. I was older, but all I remember is ice cream and presents. :-)

    People say that kids and parents build immunity through all the early colds. I'm not completely sure that it's worse at day care though. My daughter and her friends all get sick frequently. Some are in day care for 1-2 days per week, and some aren't in at all. It's just the luck of the draw, sometimes. I hope Artoo doesn't get sick too much. I'm sure he and Chewie will have a great time!

    Thanks for the challenge this week. It was interesting to try and to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura,
    I have Mr. Linkey, but there haven't been any tangles posted yet. I've been checking all day. All that's there is "You're first!". There are usually a bunch by evening. Something must be up.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Laura, you have had a challenging week! My thoughts are with you and your sweet family. Thank you for the challenge. I needed the opportunity to dwell on peaceful thoughts tonight! I love your tile. So sorry your wrist is hurting so much. I hope things get better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I finally got to play along again! Thanks for a great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Laura, for the great challenge. Its a good thing to think about peace. I do hope that your wrist is getting better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully peace will come your way very soon....love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks again for the challenge this week. Peace is a dim & distant memory in our house with a 3 year old so it is good to be reminded how important it is. Meditation time is back on the family agenda!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great challenge Laura, thank you! Peace, Love and Happiness to All :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is a great challenge full of inspiration for me thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whew! made it :-) Thank you for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura, My husband was having that same thing with his hand and wrist falling asleep and very painful. He started wearing a hand and wrist guard at night when sleeping, and it has really helped him a lot! Oh, I don't envy you and those days of day care, and mommy guilt, been there! My kids are in their 20's now, and it all turned out good....if that helps any. Hang in there! You are a great mom! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed the challenge this week, as always! Hope the daycare adjustment goes well, and that your hand gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed this challenge.Hope its not too late..Jo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks again for another challenging challenge. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Laura,
    I've been trying to 'catch-up' by doing all the old challenges that I've missed, however when I click on your page link for 2011 Challenges I'm getting a message that it no longer exists.
    I know I can find my way through the archives, but that page was wonderfully useful!
    The next one I'm due to draw is Challenge 17 (15 Minutes of Fame), which I've been putting off for some time because it scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Laura,
    I just made it in time! Thank you for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not sure if I am late or not - but got it in anyway.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!