Monday, October 1, 2012

Weekly Challenge #89

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome to October!!  Did you see my amazing news?
Also, it's interesting to note that my counter (on the left sidebar) is PERILOUSLY CLOSE to going over 500K!!
Artoo makes a mess
 Artoo has been doing really well this past week, he even made it to daycare twice - in preparation for the day i return to work... (Rapidly getting closer)

Sure, when he's playing he'll put one of these in his mouth
But do it at the Doctor's office and it's freak out city!

Fall - it's happening!

We have been having just an amazing bout of beautiful weather up here.  Every morning is crisp and chilly, but by afternoon the sun is hot and the air has that "Autumn" feeling that i love so much.

yum
 Chewie and i made these awesome cookies, and the house smelled so great!!

Extreme closeup
 I took this picture of this ladybug outside in my front lawn.  B-rad was mowing the lawn and upsetting a giant herd of bugs who were busy trying to bunker down for winter.... sorry ladies.

My cute little goofball Chewie
With all the good stuff happening, and the kid going to daycare - it was only a matter of time that we'd be facing another family challenge... yes, Artoo is sick.  again.  As of right now (Sunday night), it's just a cold, but he has a history of taking colds and making them into pneumonias.   We're watching him closely and trying to suction him when he needs it.  Really trying to keep him home and not at the hospital.  Wish us luck....

and now:

Weekly Challenge #89: UMT v. IX: "Sankegg"
 Back in June, B-rad and i had the most amazing opportunity to see Roger Waters perform The Wall in concert.  We had to travel to Edmonton to see it (one province over, about 6 hours by car).  On our way home, we stopped off the highway to see the world's largest Pysanka Egg!  I posted about it here and wondered aloud if anyone wanted to try to figure out the Y pattern on the Egg.
I'm so tiny

Not a day later, i received an email from Maria Vennekens, CZT from the Netherlands with breakout instructions for the tangle she named Sankegg.  Maria doesn't have a blog, so i added her tangle to the UMT list for her.  I was so thrilled to see it pop up when i randomly selected this month's tangle!!

HOORAY!

sankegg
Maria Vennekens - Sankegg
I really think that this tangle has a lot of potential for tanglations... thinking of all those little triangles, and the various ways one could fill them in....

Have fun!!

*If you don't know about UMT - here's the scoop:  The first Monday of each month will feature a home-made tangle - chosen at random from the linky list here.   Anyone who has created their own tangle is eligible for submission, providing it follows the guidelines listed here. (Please read the guidelines)
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. 
Hey - i should note here quickly that i try my best to get the slideshows up in a timely fashion, but sometimes my life gets in the way (like when Artoo spends a week in the hospital, just for example) so, please be patient.  thanks.  HUG
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting help with the slideshow. We all appreciate the work and time that go into all of this. Thank you for inspiring us--through Zentangle and your life!

    What a great tangle this is. I had such a great time playing with it and deciding how to fill in my triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My toughest challenge to date...:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, sometimes there is a tangle that just doesn't work for you.... and this is one of those for me. I cannot get the angles right and it looks a right mess. I love the look on your picture of the egg, but I'm afraid that I might have to pass on this challenge unless with more practice I can figure out another way of putting this together. :( Maybe I'll be inspired by others creations and for once I'm going to peek before I even attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I think I figured it out.... if anyone else is having trouble, I would encourage you to keep trying - it's a neat tangle. Thanks Laura.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful geometrical pattern and I'm glad it came up as a UMT challenge because I'was a bit intimidated by it's complexity- not being a standard grid pattern .But that's past and now I can't stop .:)Nice pattern Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. It feels good to be back at the challenge. I'm glad Sankegg came up in the rotation as I didn't know it. Mine go a little wonky but I look forward to mastering it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't done a tile yet but have posted an alternative 'step-out' that I think creates the same effect? It uses a grid of triangles, then add a 'v' shape and rotate. Repeat the latter twice, then color/fill...Curious to see what will happen if the size and spacing of the triangles in the grid is changed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! This was a difficult one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was informed that the original url had a problem and resulted in an error message. I reposted and hopefully that will remedy it. to avoid, use the 21 posting and not the 16. Sorry for the inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for my technology incompetence. Apparently my attempt to correct it did not work either. The last one was working. It is
    #22 Sorry for the inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The UMT challenge kept me wide awake and attentive during my UMA conferences this week and I am so grateful for the challenge! Laura, I hope that your are all doing well as the week progresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the first wrong link....my internet service is really acting wonky!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this tangle...challenging. But that is a good thing. How simple it is to put simple shapes together. Great tangle! Come read about my Blog Friendship Cup experiences from Laura! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this pattern, so much opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly a challenge this week - I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a tough challenge! And reading the (previous) comments here, I'm feeling better knowing that I was not alone in my 'challenge'. Thanks Laura.... and Maria.

    (wonder what makes this one so.... difficult....??)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Laura for this latest challenge. I also fell into the group who found this tangle a toughie--many pages of practice happened before setting pen to tile...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi ! I am from France where I fall for your tangle challenge ! There's not such activities like this in France. The nearest is at Belgium - so far for me... So I do your challenge and I enjoy it. Thanks a lot. Big kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope this makes it in time for the challenge as I needed time to try it many times over before I put it to your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really goofed this time! I had this done early last week and forgot to enter it! Hope not too late!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Better late than never! :) http://tictactangle.blogspot.com/2013/01/sankegg-sample.html

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!