Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Weekly Challenge #90!

Happy Tuesday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Hello everyone!  If you missed the slideshow for Challenge 88 (IX) you can see it here

I hope all my Canadian friends had a lovely Thanksgiving weekend, and thanks to everyone else for understanding - sometimes i just gotta take a break and eat WAY too much turkey.  :)

My mother came over on Saturday and helped me to turn these:

mmmm
 Into THESE:
APPLESAUCE!!!
It was pretty fun, i've never canned anything before, well - not as an adult.  And spending the day with my mom was pretty fun too.  I'm so thankful for her.  i'm also thankful for the 36 years that she and my dad have been married.  it's their anniversary today!! Happy Anniversary mom and dad!!

I'm also thankful fore these:
My two beautiful boys! I'm so thankful for them, even when they drive me bonkers.
I tried so hard to get a picture of these boys in the leaves,
but they would not cooperate and look at the camera at the same time.
 and for my wonderful and sexy husband, B-rad.

He's not afraid to jump in the leaves. He's a great dad.
And here's a shot of me.
On our way for Sunday Supper
Sunday we spent the afternoon with B-rad's family - there were tons of people there and it was great, the food was delicious and there was lots of tasty wine.  I took a break from my 'diet' and stopped counting calories - and just enjoyed the day.

Then since half of MY family is away, we went over to my mom's for a small turkey dinner on Monday.  My older brother and his family took my dad on a road trip to California for 2 weeks, and they haven't made it back yet.  So it was just Mom, us, and my little brother and his daughter.  It was fun and peppered with 4 year old tantrums and then with 3 year old tantrums.  Good times.

Weekly Challenge #90: String Theory v. XIII
I know that, for me, starting a piece of art is daunting because of the Blank Page syndrome - the fear of desecrating a pristine white page.  And every week, it's the same thing - i grab a tile, and begin... Dots, Border....string???

Strings are tricky.  Maybe i'm the only one (although i doubt it) who finds the string the hardest part.  (That's why i love the pre-strung tiles - available through a CZT near you!) but since not everyone has access to a pre-strung tile, the next best thing is to visit Linda Farmer, CZT's site tanglepatterns.com.  She has a great article on the importance of strings - and also has posted several different strings to try out!


So, today's challenge is to try out TanglePatterns String 001! You can find it here, along with instructions on how to print and/or transfer the string to your tile.  As for me, i just drew my best version of it onto my tile and then had at it. 
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

18 comments:

  1. The boys look so good! Handsome little fellows. Happy belated Thanksgiving! Brad looks like he loves playing with the boys and that is a great dad! Your tile is so well done....I would love to use strings the way you do. I hope you have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fabulous challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm! I love apple sauce. Great tile, cute little poke leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That applesauce looks so tasty! I bet the house smelled great! I'm glad you had a nice celebration.

    Thanks for the fun challenge. I liked this string a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tile looks so fall inspired, like an abstract cornucopia with leaves and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you used PokeLeaf and how it overlaps the negative space of the tear drop shape. That is also a great picture of the apples! Glad you had a good family visit for your Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Eden about Pokeleaf going into the empty space. I cannot do Pokeleaf well and envy those who do! What lovely men - large and small - you have about your house. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my 3rd attempt. The second one in the previous post (if it puts in an appearance) is not really good enough!:-))))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Margaret and Eden lovely Pokeleaf - mine always look a little wilted so don't use it often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing like fall and homemade applesauce-Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting challenge that I almost missed. I'm wanting some of that applesauce....mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, I love applesauce! I've never had homemade - I bet it is sooooo much better than store-bought! I love the negative space in your tile! Pretty, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited, even a little scared, well you will see what I mean when you see my submission, to join the challenges. Thanks for letting me play along. Next time, I will do a more serious entry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still not a fan of strings. On the upside, I like how I changed a few tangles up. That's always the fun part for me, adding little details to make it my own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have such a sweet family! Happy late Thanksgiving. I love your blog and the whole idea behind it. I'm starting a little late into the challenges, but I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Laura! Your tile is absolutely fab and this string was a great jumping off point. Loving all the beautiful fall photos of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am loving all the Eall pictures of the area and your family. I just love your hair cut! Thanks for another interesting week of tangling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Working my way backwards through the challenges, here is mine! http://tictactangle.blogspot.com/2013/01/simple-string.html

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!