Monday, October 29, 2012

Weekly Challenge #93

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Good morning everyone!

If you missed the slideshow, lovingly prepared by Suzanne Wilka, for Challenge #92, Stripes v. 2.0, you can see it here!

if you're a fan of my facebook page, you may already know this story - but for those of you who don't know:

As i mentioned in last week's challenge post, Artoo was having surgery on Friday to have his tonsils removed.  It's not common for a 2 year old to have a tonsillectomy, but when i spoke to the ENT about it, he said they like them to have at least 6 infections in a year before they do that.  Artoo was well beyond that, so we set it up. 

And because sometimes the Universe likes to see how much our family can handle before we fall apart, Artoo got a cold on Monday - so i called the surgeon's office and said that he was getting sick and should we reschedule, they said to see how he was by wednesday -  and by Tuesday night we were in ER because of his breathing.  We didn't get admitted, we went home with some oral steroids, which seemed to be helping.

Then on Wednesday i called the surgeons office and told them what was happening with his cold, and they said not to cancel or postpone, but to come in and let the anesthetist decide.  So we did, and the anesthetist felt it was okay to proceed.

The surgery itself went really well.  The surgeon said his tonsils were scarred from infections, which was surprising for someone so young, but that removing them was the right course of action.

So that was good to hear.

But he did not do so well in recovery.

Part of his syndrome is that he cannot clear secretions well - so add that to throat surgery - and you have an unhappy camper who cannot breathe.  His weak swallow and cough mechanism was traumatized and so they admitted him over night because he was needing quite a bit of oxygen.

The surgery aggravated the cold he had, and so we have been in the hospital and he has been on oxygen and IV fluids since Friday morning.   Even now, as you are reading this, he is in isolation, and i am sporting a very stylish yellow isolation gown.  mm. sexy.

Thank you to everyone who's kept Artoo in your thoughts this weekend, and for the emails i've received wishing him well.  We really appreciate that.

So, for right now, all we can do is wait for the swelling to go down in his throat so he will drink and eat orally, and for him to go off oxygen.  Hopefully it's soon.

Weekly Challenge #93: New Official Tangle "Bunzo"
On the weekend, Rick and Maria released a new official tangle in their newsletter called Bunzo.  For those of you who've been around since the beginning i'm sure you're not surprised that this week's challenge is to explore this new tangle.


This is a pretty awesome tangle, built with one shape, done in 50/50 black and white (Unless you wanna make it a tangleation, which would be sweet).  If you've been watching Maria's tiles on the Zentangle Blog you may have seen this tangle popping up here and there.

Given my current situation, being in the hospital, i don't have the capability to show you my tile at the moment.  But i hope you will find inspiration from Maria's break-out instructions above.

happy tangling.
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

34 comments:

  1. Little Artoo looks so flushed and why not he has been through a big ordeal! I think it will be good in the end that he has gotten rid of those tonsils. I pray that your family will be able to get some real rest very soon. My thoughts are with you! Thanks for making bunzo the challenge. It is a fun pattern and I want to somewhat master it this week. Thanks for sending us a challenge at such a challenging time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you're all going through this ordeal. I hope that after this recovery, you'll notice some changes as a result of the surgery. I hope Artoo is feeling better and at home with you as soon as possible.

    Thank you for the challenge. I can't believe how wonderful you are to us to keep this up during the chaos of your life. Isn't it wonderful that we all have Zentangle to help us at times like this though?

    I am in LOVE with Bunzo. In fact, I'm bonkers for Bunzo! I'm going to play with some filled in versions too, but sometimes I think it looks too much like Striping.

    By the way, the link you have to the Zentangle Blog doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be praying for Artoo. I agree that I think it will be good to have the tonsils gone. My two girls had their tonsils and adenoids removed and it made a world of difference in how well they could breathe. I am floored that you posted a challenge...when your life is so crazy right now. Hang in there... And thanks for the challenge. We ALL appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A speedy recovery for the little brave man!! And hugs for you!!
    You are an inspirational to all of us, with all the ordeal that is going on you still remember us!!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart goes out to you and your family. Your stamina is nothing short of amazing and inspirational. Sending our healing love to Artoo. He looks so sweet in his little blankie. Thanks for all you do, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Laura,

    My thoughts are with you, but most of all, my heart is with little Artoo. So little , so much to bear. May the love the entire world feels for him speed up his recovery and restore good health for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, what an ordeal! My two yr old just had his tonsils taken out a month and a half ago. He had really abnormally large ones that were blocking his airways. He also got a cold the day we went in and had one on top of the recovery. But that was it... I can't imagine having the other challenges on top. I hope he heals quickly and is much healthier as a result of the surgery (I know our little guy is)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Laura and Family,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you all. A speedy recovery, and a miracle of many less days spent with illness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Laura for posting the challenge in very difficult circumstances. I hope that Artoo gets well real soon and that this stops a lot of his colds and breathing problems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Laura, i feel such a deep sadnes insite of me for you en hope Artoo wil become more healthy after this awfal situation. I wish you so very much the best a mother is so very special, of course also the father. I admire your full interest also have and found time for this diva challenge even when i can not participate ont this moment!
    Greetings from Holland!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura I hope little Artoo recovers speedily from his surgery and nasty cold... I hope the tonsillectomy helps too! And thank you for finding the time to challenge us again in the midst of all of this.
    Bunzo... a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. laura - i'm just now seeing this. praying for your sweet little Artoo! for quick recovery and healing. and for comfort and peace for you and the rest of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every week I am looking forward to your challenge: what will it be this time. I like Bunzo, simple but with great visual effects. I wish Artoo a quick healing and lotst of strength for you and your family. Love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stop by often but don't always comment, just wanted to say even lurkers like me really are out here hoping the best for you and your family. Hope artoo is doing better already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Artoo and your family are certainly in my thoughts. I don't know how you go through so much and still handle this blog. Thank you so much for doing it.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're all in my prayers. I hope little Artoo is doing better, poor lil' guy! I had fun doing this challenge. I do the swirls a lot - and added them into this drawing using SEZ and Bunzo. Thanks for taking the time to do this even when I'm sure you had plenty of other things to do!! Blessings!
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura, my prayers are with Artoo and your family. I hope Artoo has a speedy recovery. You are an amazing Mom who does so much for your family and still has time for the weekly challenge for all of us, incredible! Hugs to you and your family! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope Artoo is going well very soon. I deeply respect you for everything you do for your little boys and your family. To overcome every obstacle and stay so strong and find time to give us a weekly challenge. A lot of strenght and love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry, I broke the rules and posted more Bunzo tiles. I was so inspired by Hurricane Sandy blowing outside that I had to keep tangling. I hope you'll forgive the extra tiles this one time. I just had to share!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope that Artoo is feeling better! Healing Hugs to you and Artoo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Praying for Artoo.
    Lord watch over that sweet. gorgeous baby boy and bring him back to full health.
    For your Glory and in Jesus' name.

    ReplyDelete
  22. not sure what happened to the comment I thought I posted here last night (probably added to the wrong section!)
    Anyway I just wanted to thank you Laura for still thinking of us and posting this challenge, even though you've got lots happening with your family life. Poor little Artoo, I hope he gets better real quick!! Have a blessed week :)
    I really liked this challenge, although at first I wasn't too sure about Bunzo!! thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Laura, though it was a very different situation, when I was little I had my tonsils and adnoids removed (one of them twice because they grew back in!), and I don't remember the pain but do remember quite fondly the fuss and pleasure I got from everyone making me feel special. As much ice cream and jello as I wanted, toys, books, lots of attention... I hope the best for Artoo, and that he has the same kind of memory that I do. Thank you for taking time from your ever so busy life to give us these challenges - you give sooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope by now Artoo is doing MUCH better!! Sending you all hugs & positive, healing energies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I simply think that this tangle is one of my favorites. How can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope that your son is on the mend after his surgery. Thanks for another terrific challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gosh Laura, you have the knack of survival! Thank you for keeping up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Laura, great challenge, fun tangle. Happy to see your little one is home.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope Artoo is feeling better :-) thanks for a great little challenge

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm praying for Artoo! Thank you for the update.

    Bunzo. I love it! Loved this challenge, and love the tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm sticking my toe in for my first challenge ever. Thank you so much for the opportunity Laura. it's a real inspiration to see all you are going through, while you maintain the generosity of spirit to continue this treat for all of us. Hope Artoo is doing better. I loved Bunzo and loved the challenge. Thanks again. BethB

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow lots of submissions this week. Glad I was able to get mine done. Had been doing well at getting them done earlier in the week but just could not pull it off this week. This was a fun challenge to do. Hope Artoo is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This must be a record number of entries and it is only Friday!! One of these days, I am going to get my posted on Monday!!! (Not!) I am just too slow..hope all is going well with the baby....such sweet pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Catching up on past challenges, here are two of mine! I really like this pattern!
    http://tictactangle.blogspot.com/2012/12/tangled-web.html
    http://tictactangle.blogspot.com/2012/12/happy-new-year.html

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!