Monday, November 19, 2012

Weekly Challenge #96

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
good morning everyone!


Before we get started, i just wanted to give a quick shout out to those 2 lovely people who emailed me this week (hi Sharon! hi Liz!) to say that my paypal donation button is not working...again... I have attempted to fix it...again - so here's hoping it works now.  Mwah! Kiss kiss.

If you've been following my updates on my facebook page, you will know that... Artoo is sick again.
and no one is shocked.  :(

He has an intensely crazy hacking cough - and it has been another fun week here.  I mean, is this boring to you all yet?? i feel like a broken record these past four weeks.  If it's not one things it's another.   Luckily - i have Zentangle in my life to keep me relatively sane.
even when he's sick, he's pretty freakin' cute.
 Friday was B-rad's work Christmas party, i didn't go last year because Artoo was sick.  And i had assumed that because he was sick again, that i would also miss this year's party.  But B-rad was bound and determined to get me out of the house, so he worked together with my mom - and she came over and babysat - so i got all dolled up, and even though i was SOOO EXHAUSTED, i mostly had an awesome time.  The best part, though, was being there with him.   aww.

cute couple?
 Seeing as Artoo was sick, my wonderful sister in law came over and stole Chewie for the week.  He had a blast staying with his cousins.  They just LOVE him over there, and we were thankful for one less child to worry about.  It sure was nice to have him home though.  He was being thoroughly silly -  most of the weekend... especially at bedtime tonight. (Sunday)

"There's a washcloth... ON MY HEAD!!!" he's a goof.  I love him.
What a wonderful life. :)

Weekly Challenge #96: New(old) Tangle: Zinger!
The latest Zentangle newsletter went out this weekend, and in it was the break out instructions for the new-old tangle "Zinger".   If you're familiar with any of Maria Thomas' Zentangle tiles, you will have seen this tangle again and again - for years.  

from the newlsetter:

Like many of our tangles, it takes form using the principle of aura, except in this case each resonating aura decreases in size as it is drawn.


this is a fun tangle by itslef or to add flourish to another tangle.


(I borrowed this image from the Zentangle newsletter, it's not mine, i don't own it.)

My tile is a classic example of how a tile doesn't necessarily end up the way you anticipated.  I had an 'idea' of what it would look like when i started, and the end result is nothing like i expected, which is REALLY the magic of this artform. 

It's very "geometric" for what i consider to be my "style".  I will give it some time, maybe i'll like it more as time goes on... but - My own personal challenge is to ALWAYS post the first tile i do, whether i think it's pretty or not.  We are all our own worst critic.  :)
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

26 comments:

  1. I am always so impressed with your crazy Zen attitude for a crazy busy wife and mom life, Laura! This week you once again impressed with you heart and, and again, with you Zen. Your tile is amazing! I love how your Zinger seems to double-dip into sedgling. Beautifully done. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous tile! Ahhh, your life is always full to the brim with living. Sometimes that means hard, I hope this week it will mean restful. So grateful for you having zentangle too! Your challenges give my busy weeks a center of calm. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura Hope this weeks brings a Happy Zing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of my favorite tiles of yours, second only to the one you did to represent where you live. We really are our own worst critic... I struggle with that all the time. But this one is really great. Really dimensional even without a lot of shading, and very dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a long time I resurfaced, but didn't drop out of sight. Ran out of the chances to post my weekly challenges in time, but I still looked on the websight to see what each challenge was week after week.
    Been pretty busy involved in other craft-alones and the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way the Zingers seem to be popping right out the holes!! Thanks again for your continued commitment to coming up with a Challenge every week, despite having so much to deal with in raising your children and taking care of your family. I do hope Artoo gets better really soon. As my mother used to say: "The first 100 years are the hardest." lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful challenge, and I love the fact that you've used my excessively geometric tangle in your tile. So I decided to change up my style too, and produce a less geometric (grid based patterns are my favourite) and more organic tile.
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the challenge! Reading your post I wondered if Artoo will grow out of this health problems or if he will have to deal with it all his life. Poor little fellow. Will keep him in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for this free and easy challenge. I skipped Mickey but am back in the arena for this one.
    Artoo is a very special little boy and I'm full of admiration for the way you are coping. Big hugs and big good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I tried Mickey Mouse and failed miserably, so passed too!

      Delete
  10. Laura, I love the way your little zingers are sprouting out of a rippling pool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tile Laura, like water under a bridge! I hope your week is less stressful and that Artoo gets better - thank you again for a fun challenge - its quite late so I plan to view other works tomorrow night - have a blessed week everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that you were able to have a night out with your husband. I am sorry to hear Artoo is sick again and admire your acceptance of the situation. Both boys look adorable. Don't you just love Chewie s goofiness. I love your tangle this week, very strong patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a lot of fun to add. I don't think I've ever really used this tangle before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love zinger - was just wondering what they were last week right before they became an official tangle. Your tile is brilliant and thank you for doing all these challenges despite your personal challenges in daily life. - Aliyaran

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tile, Laura! So happy that Zinger finally has an official name...fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this tangle! So glad to have a name for it now. :D As always, thank you so much for doing these challenges! Oh! Hope Artoo gets well soon!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura, you are such an inspiration. You seems to give endlessly, when you have so much to juggle. Good for you, going out with your husband even though you were exhausted. I'm glad you got to have some fun and spend time together. I LOVE your tile! I see cat tails in a pond. Prayers for sweet Artoo. I wish I could hug you both. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope your life settles down soon, but maybe if it does you won't know what to do with all the extra time you have. Another great challenge and like how you integrated both organic and geometric tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laura, thank you for the challenge. I love the way you incorporated zinger... it looks like a marsh plant. I hope life will slow down a bit for you, and that you can enjoy this holiday weekend. Thank you for all you do for us, when you have so much on your plate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear Artoo is sick again, :-( but glad that you all got to spend time together outside the home. Something once told to me as a young single mother...don't feel guilty for wanting time to yourself. It makes you a better mother. And it's true. When you, as parents, get time to have some fun, or alone time, or whatever, it makes you better because it gives you time to recharge, relax and come back with a clear head, rested mind and body. You can focus more. Love the Zinger challenge and loved yours!! In your busy schedule, thank you so much for giving us your time and effort!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry I missed the last challenge, and glad to have made it in time for this one. Now I can go admire all the others...lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my first time using the Linkey Machine. It was much easier than I had anticipated. Thanks for the challenging challenges, Laura!! I follow along, even when I don't manage to tangle and post in a timely fashion. :) Hope all is well on the home front.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi. I add my tangle for the Challenge; I'm late but that's no matter. There are the challenge #94 and #96 at the same time. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this Zentangle and your examples. I'm late but thought I could link to my post even than.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had fun playing with Zinger! Thanks for the inspiration! http://tictactangle.blogspot.com/2013/01/somezing-funky.html#

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!