About Me

My Photo
The Diva tries her hand at wifedom and motherhood and dabbles in artsy things. She is a Certified Zentangle Teacher.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Weekly Challenge #99

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

Hello everyone!

The snow here...it's relentless!! I had posted on Facebook about the snow that we got on Monday... here's a few shots of the awesomeness...




So, i shoveled the snow that was 2' deep in some places... only to have it snow another 6" a few days later.  Unfortunately i hurt my back with the first snow dump - so my big strong hubby tackled the 6" snow fall.  :D

We had a chance to put up our Christmas tree, what a happy fam. 

 Chewie was soooo excited about the tree this year.  He was so happy to have a beeeeyoootiful tree!!

So cute

B-rad and i also got a chance to get out together and see the band Mother Mother in a super awesome small venue.  Good times.


Okay, so before we get to this week's challenge - which is an awesome guest post by Margaret Bremner, i wanted to show you something.

In the summer, i was honoured to receive an amazing gift from a very generous and talented artist, Cynthia Pope.  I feel terrible that it has taken me this long to show you all the beautiful pieces she sent me...
Behold! Zedbra in Jewelry form!

Kuzek! in my ears!!
 Cindy, again, i'm so sorry it took this long to post about these. 
If anyone is interested in seeing more of her work you can visit her etsy store! She has some really adorable pieces that make my inner geek squee with delight!!  please, check it out.

And now, without further ado - i give you this week's challenge:

Weekly Challenge #99: Guest Post - String Challenge v. XI "Looped Border String Challenge"

You've probably seen, and even used, a loop in the border drawn for a Zentangle tile. One day recently I decided to do a loop on all four sides and see what happened. The looped borders created their own string! (If I'd really thought ahead this probably would have been obvious.)

The loop can be large or small, round-ended or pointy-ended. It can stay near its line or swoop toward the opposite side. You'll have some larger areas to tangle in the corners, and some (possibly very) small ones in the middle. One thing I haven't tried yet is looping the loops out rather than in. Hmmm, something else to try...

You can read my blog post and see some examples here: http://enthusiasticartist.blogspot.ca/2012/10/news-flash-looped-border-creates-its.html
And just for good measure, here's another example.


Have fun!

Margaret Bremner is an artist, illustrator, Certified Zentangle Teacher and occasional writer, as well as wife and mother. She's not much of a housekeeper. Margaret has been making art since she was very small and never seriously considered other career paths. Mandalas were her focus for over 15 years and she encountered Zentangle on the internet in early 2009 while living in China. It totally clicked with her love of detail, pattern and the graphic quality of drawing.

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

16 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful though I know the snow can be challenging I am a bit jealous. We so need snow. It looks like you had a great week.....and I am happy that your family is doing well! Thank you for the challenge and Margaret, thank you for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to draw the looped string more often, that was fun. Love your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura I love seeing your cozy home, your happy family and your beautiful jewelry! Thank you for keeping us busy tangling on Monday nights. I hope you are not further snowed in, and that you were able to get out for a night of relaxation with B-rad. Margaret, you work is always amazing. Thanks for sharing your string idea with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't take Faith2 seriously. It is my response to a comment I received for the yesterday's doodles. Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's a lot of snow.

    The jewelry is lovely. And the zebdra tangle in the pendant looks like the light show from the concert. Great juxtaposition!

    I love this string idea--so many possibilities with so little thought :-). Thanks, Margaret and Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Laura and Margaret. Wonderful string challenge with unlimited possibilities. I had a blast with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura! You don't have to include my submission in the slide show. I just want to let people know what I was doing with this idea! Happy holidays! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this string idea. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I can't believe all of that snow. It's pretty but looks cold. I hope our winter isn't like that here!

    Chewie looks so cute in front of the tree. He looks like a little elf. :-)

    I had some trouble with this one, but I'm really pleased with how it came out in the end. I'm finally getting it posted! Thanks as always for challenging us to try new things and to think of things in new ways. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That picture of Chewie by the tree really is the cutest thing :)
    Cool challenge - I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea where you can do the frame and string at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun challenge. Had fun coming up with tangles that I have not used a lot before to finish it.Have not gotten any snow yet. When we do, it still will not be as much as you get. I like it, just don't like shoveling it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the challenge, Margaret and Laura. I loved it!! So many possibilities I won't be cast adrift for string ideas ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. After looking all zentangles i saw i made a mistake. I have to make a border with loops....oeps.
    I make the loops differant!My english is not so good but i enjoyed the challenge, nex time better. I am looking forword to #100, hopefully not 100 zentangle patterns!!!!Thank you Margaret and Laura. Greetings from holland.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much fun to Zentangle with all you inspired doodlers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for the challenge! I just found Zentangle and this is only my 6th one ever, but I really love this form of art already!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!