Monday, January 7, 2013

Weekly Challenge #101

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

Hello everyone!
What a ride this 100th challenge has been for me.  My post for the 100th challenge has been viewed over 13,000 times! and the video has been viewed over 1,800 times!!  we had the greatest number of participants for the slideshow, and i received so many emails of congratulations, and emails from people who were finally getting up the courage to submit for the first time (GOOD FOR YOU!!!) and lots of new comers! WELCOME HERE!!!

Also, over the break i took some time and read all (yes all) the blog posts from the 100th challenge, and i was so touched by what some of you wrote.  Here's a few highlights:

"But the beautiful thing about Zentangle is that we can all dance to the beat of a different drummer and still be in the same parade."  Cris Letourneau

"Wow 100 challenges allready. What a great achievement! So many people who stay around the blog of Laura and make an contribute every week. I think thats great about zentangle. Everyone can do it and becaus of this challenge thing you learn to step out of your little box and try some things you would never do before. It made my tangle world bigger" didisch

"We come to hear about the joy and challenges of raising two young boys, one with a serious health problem.  We share her worries and her triumphs, admire her diva-ness, shiver at all the snow, and wonder how she manages to fit it all in.

I love her challenges.  They've encouraged me to try new tangles and to think in new ways.  They've allowed me to see the beautiful work of dozens of tanglers every week, giving me new ideas and stretching my skills.

Thank you, Laura.  You have been a gift in my life!" Karen Lynn

"My tile has a heart at it’s center because it seems to me that Laura’s heart is at the center of everything she does. " Kathy

"What's amazing is to see each week's entries - everyone starts with the same prompt yet each entry is unique, inspiring and exquisite. A Zentangle feast." Suzanne Wilka

"Congratulations and thank you to the Diva, Laura Harms, on reaching her 100th Zentangle® Diva challenge.  Her blog is inspirational, humorous, and enlightening--about art, family, and life.  Each week she has opened up her life--the joys and troubles--to an eager audience.  Her stories and struggles remind me of why Zentangle is so important in my life and in many others' lives.
With Zentangle, "Anything is possible one stroke at a time."®" Emily Classon

"Even though I don't get to the challenges every week, I always visit her site to see what tangly fun she presents. Often, the challenge is the only time I actually sit to do a deliberate bit of tangling in the midst of the business of life. I am always grateful, even if I didn't tangle that week. Just knowing she is there with her tangly torch is a comfort and a joy." Carole Ohl

"Laura Harms, has blessed us over and over again with this forum for drawing on a common theme, and then sharing our work in a safe environment. No winners, no losers, just delighted smiles, as we savor the beauty of every interpretation on the theme. " bethb

"Laura Harms is bit like a reindeer herself, beautiful, gentle and strong" Indira

and my personal favourite, which made me feel all warm and gooey inside:

"As I was completing my tile, I couldn't help but think of Diva Dance as a visual representation of Laura's journey and message--that bumps in the road happen, and there will be dark times...but you just keep going, you work around what life throws at you. You have to! Just keep "aura-ing"--keep growing and giving, adjusting whenever you need to, and having fun when the opportunity arises. But always, always adapting to challenges and difficulties." Amy in TN
thank you everyone.  :D

I hope everyone had a great holiday season! ours was fully full of fullness.


 Christmas gatherings, and Artoo teething,
Not one gift this year was un-Star Wars related
Santa brought this amazing light sabre...
it comes apart to make two so there have been several duels since Christmas
and a very Merry Star Wars Christmas for Chewie
B-rad made me two beautiful wall hangings - here's one:
The Flower of Life
The wall hangings are made of stainless steel using a laser cutting thingamabober.
i heart them.
They are going to find a place on the wall of our finally finished art/music studio/den space that we've been working on since we were flooded back in the spring of 2010!!!  If i ever get it somewhat organized, i'll show you all.  i'm pumped.

and a pretty chilled out New Years Eve with B-rad, my brother and his girlfriend and a box of wine.  ;)

I wrote out my goals for this year in my journal... some of them include doing a drawing a day (or some form or arting) and doing a 10k in the fall! (OH MY!)  What about you?

Another great thing that happened over our holiday break was the creation of a new tangle in our house! and it wasn't created by me....

Weekly Challenge #101 UMT v.XII: "Phicops"
Before Christmas, B-rad was up late one night listening to Pink Floyd records and doodling, when he came up with an image that he found he could replicate with a few simple steps.

He showed me the next morning, and i was like; "that could TOTALLY be a tangle".
he said: "I know."

One of the perks of being married to the Diva, is that when you come up with a new tangle...she makes it the next UMT challenge!

Phicops (sounds like f-eye-cops)
On the tangle name:
arthropods
"It reminded me me of an arthropod shell, so i looked up images on google and came up with one that was sort of in a spiral shape, which is called a phacops.  The golden spiral (based on the Phi Φ ratio, which is 1.618:1  ) has always been an inspiration to me, so it seemed a perfect fit." - B-rad 
phacops
Curled phacops
 So over the next couple of weeks, every piece of scrap paper was tangled on....



It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, but it's pretty awesome and has lots of ways to be tangleated. ;)

I drew out the boxes for the breakout and did the fonts... b-rad did the rest
B-rad's beautiful tile.

My first attempt on a tile

My Phicops Zendala
I hope you have fun trying out this tangle, i'm so proud of B-rad.  And it's nice to have his tangle as the UMT this month, as his birthday is on Tuesday!! (HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY!)

have a great week!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??
Linkey Machine is BACK!!!

53 comments:

  1. Great new tangle! It's a lot like one I already use, but the little extra line that makes the "scoop" gives it so much more dimension. Thanks Brad and Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this tangle, and make a quick try out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool tangle! This is my first challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so great that your husband is into Zentangle and has contributed this new tangle. Glad to see that you had a wonderful holiday. I missed seeing the weekly challenge and am so glad that you are back. I'll be submitting my contribution soon, just want to welcome you back and let you know you are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this tangle. It has elements of some others thatI love. Welcome back, missed your inspiring posts a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks....this is my first challenge. Lets see what I can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look interesting. I'm glad your back too, hope you had a wonderful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great fun. This is also my first challenge. I think I put the link in last week's linky thingy. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to have you back, and I LOVE this tangle. Thanks B-rad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a nice surprise to see that you quoted me :-) Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. Tell B-Rad I love his tangle. Glad you had a nice Christmas. It's good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy Birthday B-rad!!
    Lovely tangle!! Have a great year guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to B-rad. Bravo! I love the new tangled pattern! I think it will find its way into many a tile! Laura, thank you so much for being back and giving us your time, energy, and great challenges! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, your tiles (Laura and B-rad) are and inspiration!

      Delete
  13. I wish my hubby would draw with me! :) Thanks for the new pattern and the challenge to get us back into gear for the new year! http://tictactangle.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-case-of-mondays.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to say happy birthday to a fellow Capricorn! (mine must passed)
    This is my first tangle submitted to a current challenge. I started from Challenge #1 and have completed to #20 (I think) during the holidays. I am finally getting comfortable enough to submit to a current one!
    Thank you for providing the inspiration to practice and get better at tangling. Once I get a bit better, I will be including tangling in my artwork!
    Great job, great idea, great stamina for providing these challenges for 2 years!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, my first Challenge (Couldn't wait :) ) and right such a great one! i love the new tangle! thank you very much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back! And thank you to B-Rad and a Happy Birthday. This is a fun, flexible tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love this tangle!! Thanks Laura and B-Rad!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Fun! Welcome back AND Happy Birthday Brad! Thanks for giving US the gift. Really love that Zendala.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back, Laura! Happy Birthday, B-rad and congrats on your great new tangle...love it! Laura, I really love your zendala...beautiful!!!
    Looking forward to the new year and all of your inspirational challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I'm loving this tangle and every entry I've seen! I have a strong hunch this is the one that is going to get me to finally pick up my pens and get moving on Zentangle. Yes, I'm new; but not for long! Getting the pens out now! Thank you for your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's such a joy to be back into the swing of challenges. And thanks B-rad, you are a star at tangling! Your tiles are a treat to Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, I am very new to Zentangle, and this is my first challenge. I am having trouble going from step 3 to step 4 and have it resemble Phicops. Is there anyone who could break.ot down into more steps for me? I really want to do the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Alison. I think it's quite difficult, but you'll notice from the steps given that many experienced zentangle fans don't need all that many steps themselves. But I usually do, so I sympathise. I've been going wrong on this pattern and one way to fathom it out without extra steps is to do it backwards i.e. start at the right hand side, draw blind (with your eyes on an original)and do each segment as one shaped line rather than breaking it down. That helped me!

    Hi Laura! Thanks to B-Rad for this delightful tangle and Happy Birthday! I've already done three attempts and posted them all. I hope you've having a nice party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. B-Rad, happy birthday! Thank you for this amazing pattern. I'm already in love with it. I love it so much, I wrote a silly song for it on my blog (yes, I have a 2-year old). Such fun! Your wall hangings are stunning too.

    Happy New Year, and welcome back, Laura! I feel so honored to be quoted on your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday B-Rad!! Thanks for such a great new tangle and another fun challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad to have you back! Awesome tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely, graceful tangle. Huge payoff for such easy-to-follow steps. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great tangle. Had fun doing it. Will probably become one of my favorites. Hope you and your family had a great holiday and glad to have the Challenges back.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for this great tangle, B-Rad. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  30. B-rad thanks for "phicops" --super cool tangle. It was tricky at first, but I love it. Happy B-day and so great to have the challenges back! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Late in 2012 I learned about the challenge on Pinterest and feel really thrilled to be participating now. May 2013 be tangled in oodles of blessings for everyone. I'll be uploading my tangle soon, just dealing with a son who has had his wisdom teeth removed. Kindest regards, Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Darlin'! I've been following you for nearly all of the almost three years you've been blogging here. And, believe it or not...this is the FIRST time I've ever linked up in your challenge! I'm pretty insecure about my work, but I became a CZT last fall and am trying to work my way out of my phicops shell and into the Zentangle world. B-rad hit a home run with this one. Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for the challenge! I'm going to try to participate on a more regular basis - missed zentangling!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was so fun, I decided to enter twice. This time on my new blog. Thanks again for another good challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good to hear you had a lovely Christmas Break! Happy 2013!

    This is a fantastic tangle - well done B-rad!!

    Thanks Laura for taking time to organise these weekly challenges for us.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you B'rad for jumpstarting this year! Thank you Diva for continuing the challenge. I've been a year away, in my head, and am back to the land of zentangle.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! Loving this tangle and everyone's interpretations are so amazing I was intimidated! But bravely posting mine anyway. Thanks again for a wonderful challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks Laura and B-rad! This tangle is great--absolutely mesmerizing (and I have to say I am still loving me some Diva Dance as well!!!!). Happy New Year to you both and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ok. I put this challenge in the right place this time.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great Tangle!! I love it!! Beautiful and so many ways to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You just have to love a guy who is involved in what interests his partner. Thank you B-rad for giving us this wonderful tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  42. A big thanks to B-rad for an awesome tangle! You guys are great.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesome challenge! Great tangle B-rad! I did have to spend time getting the hang of this one to make it come out nice. Mine turned into more of a spiral. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am new to your challenges but look forward to the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your toy it's so beautiful, I like it vey much, I also bought one at cheap chanel shopping
    , If you want one too. can visit this address, The backpacks are
    beautiful at there. I think you will be love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is a great tangle. It is easy to do with a great effect. I live how it all falls together as you are adding those last arcs. It is so versatile in shape and shading. Thanks, B-Rad!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Just submitted my entry. It's obviously "beginner" quality but I had fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  48. You are so generous. I loved being able to see your whole process. Wow. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Phicops is a great tangle. Not only is it beautiful and intriguing, but I am fascinated by the Fibonacci series and the golden rectangle, so it's especially close to my heart! This one's definitely going in Shoshi's Zentangle Arsenal! Thank you.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  50. Cool blog - I will try to follow along and post each week!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!