About Me

My Photo
The Diva tries her hand at wifedom and motherhood and dabbles in artsy things. She is a Certified Zentangle Teacher.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Weekly Challenge #103

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!

Hello everyone!

Welcome back to the Weekly Challenge. 
Currently, 3 out of 4 people in this house are sick.  Chewie has been working on a fever and sinus stuff, and Artoo is now getting it, and oh yeah, me too.  I feel like i've been plowed over with a freight train, and then the remains of me were scooped up and then given this cold and or flu. whatever it is.  I'm really hoping that it's not the flu - because that's been putting people in the hospital here.  Ain't nobody got time for that!

So, i'm going to skip all the preamble and jump right to the challenge because i'm sick and i want to go to sleep... but i LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! i would hate to disappoint any of you. ;)  i'm sweet like that.

Weekly Challenge #103: "String Theory v.XXII - Moebius Syndrome Awareness"

Moebius Syndrome Awareness day is Thursday, January 24th.

For those of you who've been around since the beginning you know that my son, Artoo, has Moebius Syndrome.

For all my new friends - Moebius Syndrome is a congenital nerve disorder affecting cranial VI and VII nerves controlling the lateral movement of his face. Moebius is a spectrum disorder - so some cases are more severe than others. We've been extremely lucky that Artoo's symptoms haven't been too difficult to adjust to.  

Without going into too much detail about his condition; we deal with delayed developmental milestones, eating/feeding issues, club feet, low muscle tone - just to name a few things, and of course - being unable to deal with viruses and bacterias, he gets very sick. very fast. 

Not a lot of people know about Moebius Syndrome, which is not surprising given the odds of having a child with Moebius is 1-2:1,000,000

yes.  one million.

When Artoo was first born and we'd take him to the hospital for emergencies, we'd tell the doctors that he has Moebius Syndrome and they would say: "What's that?"  We've had to become the experts on the syndrome, and the advocates for our child, finding our way through the haze of the medical system.

And now on to the actual challenge.  To raise awareness for this disorder, use the Moebius Syndrome Foundation's logo as your string, or create a moebius strip out of paper and tangle that... or some other awesome creative thing that i haven't thought of.


Here's two versions of the logo for you to work with.  You can print them or trace them or draw your own.

For those of you who remember this challenge from last year, please don't submit your tile from last year.  I'm going to send the link to the slideshow to the folks on my Moebius Syndrome support group on facebook, i'd love for them to see all your amazing artwork so that each and every one of them will know that they are not alone and that we are aware!!

As for me, i'm sick - but i will post mine by Thursday, January 24th, Moebius Syndrome Awareness Day.


OH, also - the colour for MSAD is Purple, so if you want to incorporate purple into your tile, feel free.  Please consider wearing purple on Thursday, in support of Artoo.   If you do, and you'd like to send me a photo, you can send it to lauraharmz (at) gmail (dot) com, or post it to the Challenge Facebook Page.

i also want to stress here that Moebius Syndrome is NOT A DISEASE, it's a disorder affecting his nerves.  It does not affect intelligence, in fact - Artoo is really super smart.   i just had to get that off my chest.  thanks!

have a great week!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

35 comments:

  1. I can completely relate with having a child with a weird and rare disorder that no one's ever heard of...and the advocating and the hospital visits and all the craziness that goes along with it. At least where we live now, a lot of the hospitals have heard of it (or one of it's "sister" disorders). I suppose when you're in a very urban area, things show up more. When we lived in Wisconsin, there were only three cases in the state. Where we live now in California, there are three that I personally know of and who knows how many dozens more in the area and state.

    I need to get back to tangling more often. I'm not very good and I don't have a lot of time between Little Man, my fiber addiction, and moving (again). And I don't know where my notebook is. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of you with so much on your plate you still find time for all of us. Being an advocate for your child in the healthcare system takes patients and perseverance. You obviously have that and more.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Love to you all.... I hope that you have a GREAT day on Thursday... and since purple is one of my very favorite colors to wear... I will most likely have it on... as I do today... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and yours as you deal with sickness. Hope that it leaves you and gives way to health real soon. I am so happy to again participate in the Moebius challenge. I have really a soft spot in my heart for that sweet little Artoo! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I hope you all get better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, I hope you're all feeling better soon. Thank you for this week's challenge. I know that the small challenge you've asked of us is nothing compared with the challenges faced by your brave family. It was an honor to work on this piece. Thinking of you all....

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first attempt at blogging and Tangling in public is for you, Diva!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get well soon , laura family :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laura - I hope you get better real quick. Thank you for this week's challenge. I had never heard of Mobius Syndrome before I started these challenges and I am aware now. You are an inspiration and such a strong woman.
    Peace, Love and Happiness xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for this challenge, Laura! I'm working on it and thinking of you and your family. Hope you all get well soon! Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your challenge. Take care and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of your little boy and all the other brave little (and big) people who share the same fate. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, this is my first Diva Challenge! I just want to thank you for being so brave and for bringing awereness to this disorder. You and your family are an inspiration to us all. Prayers for Artoo as he faces Challenges every day.
    peace-n-luv,
    Sue Olsen

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was a most interesting challenge, but the challenges you face everyday are overwhelming, you all deserve a purple heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending hugs to the Diva household...hope all are better soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first attempt at a challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sending healing prayers your way. I tangled a "love" tie in purple that I would like to auction or donate (or give to B-rad if you think he needs it.) Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks, Cris.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a beginner at zentangle but have started my version of the symbol. I will upload mine to my blog and link tomorrow. I'm glad I didn't miss the deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear you're sick, I hope you feel better soon. I made a special tile for this week's challenge, I added some embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you're all feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Somehow I linked on another challenge (oops!) first instead of this one. Sometimes my keyboard jumps. Anyway... I had fun doing this but you can definitely tell I'm a beginner. This is only my 4th "tangle" and I had my first lesson last Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well... #61 is NOT the correct link. LOL! Try #62 instead. But, I can't figure out how to remove #61. Oh well... you'd think I've never done this before.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't realize it until I was almost finished tangling, but I chose Neuron as my background tangle, for a neurological syndrome. So cool how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope it worked this time as I have no clue how this works with URL's. *blush*

    I hope you're all getting better soon. Being sick is so exhausting. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thinking of you and your family and all the things that you have had to contend with to deal with this Syndrome. Hope that the family gets over the less "exotic" things soon. Appreciate what you do to keep this going. I suggest it to all my classes as a way to expand their tangling journey.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've just entered my first creation to the Weekly Challenge, but I didn't realise it was the URL of the image I needed, so I've done it twice!Sorry, but this is my first attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Healing thoughts and warm hugs to you and your family. Thanks again for all of the wonderfulness of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing your story and educating us on this disorder. Here's my artwork featuring the foundation's logo! http://tictactangle.blogspot.com/2013/01/moebius-awareness.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I had an error in my link #85. #87 link for mine is the correct one.

      Delete
  29. Thank you Laura!
    Sending love and hugs for you and your family.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Laura, I've just arrived here via Sue Clark's blog. Just wanted to say I'd never heard of Moebius Syndrome before, but through Zentangle, I now have! I have now visited the Moebius Syndrome website and have a basic idea of what it is all about. What a great way to raise awareness of a rare condition, to have a tangle challenge! I am very glad that the condition has its own awareness day. The awareness day for my own condition, M.E., is May 12, and it's a very good opportunity for educating the public at large about a very misunderstood condition.

    I am sorry to hear that you have all been poorly and I hope you are now on the mend.

    Off to see what people came up with, tangling the amazing moebius shape.

    Happy tangling!
    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!