Monday, February 11, 2013

Weekly Challenge #106

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
Happy Monday everyone!

Can i get an OY VEY!?? what the shazbutt?  This has been quite the exhausting last 2/3 weeks.  No, i have not yet recovered from my nasal/sinus/dealie.  I still don't have my sense of smell back, which is probably a good thing because on Wednesday morning at about 2 AM, Artoo woke us up, he was crying.  Poor kid had thrown up in his sleep - it. was. EVERYWHERE.

So, a middle of the night bath, followed by clean bedding and jammies... and more and more and more of the pukes.  Then, by chance, we heard Chewie moving around in his room - and i made it there just in time to put his trash can in his face.

So.  Divide and conquer.  B-rad slept (?) in the rocking chair with Artoo, who was sick all night, and i slept on the floor next to Chewie's bed - who was also sick all night, although not quite as frequently.

Long. Night.

And the next day, they seemed to be fine.  Until night time.  When Round Two happened.

So, it was a rough week for those two boys.
And by Friday afternoon, B-rad was home from work - with the same...and was out of commission until late Saturday night.

ugh.

So far, i've managed to stay away from the bug (OMG KNOCK ON ALL THE WOOD!!) So, there's that. :D  Everyone cross all your fingers and toes that i'm able to stay healthy.  okay, thanks.
My adorable sir, from last week when he felt better

Chewie playin' with his transformers
Also, last week B-rad was asked by email to do step-outs for the pinecone variation of Phicops.  Because he's an awesome dude, he quickly drew them out.  Since i have the file, i thought i'd post it here for anyone who was interested:
Pineconey variation

And now i just want to quickly announce the winners of the Tangle A Day Calendars (courtesy of Carole Ohl, CZT-Extraordinaire)

Using a random number generator - the winners are:

From the Facebook page:
And from the blog: 

Ladies!! i hope you enjoy this super fun Calendar.  you won't be disappointed.  Send me your mailing addresses and i'll send those out to you!!  lauraharmz (at) gmail (dot) com

And if you did not win, and would like to buy one of your own - you can here

Now the challenge:
Weekly Challenge #106: "The Year of the Snake"

Sunday, February 10th, was the start of the Chinese New Year, and we are now in the Year of the Snake.   The challenge is to be inspired...by the Year of the Snake.  You can use a snake as your string, or use sprially typed tangles... or some other awesome thing...

and if you have never done it before, do a google image search for: "Chinese Patterns" and feast your eyes.

Here's my take - A coiled snake over two Chinese inspired tangles.  (i'm so sorry, i'm terrible with tangle names, or i'd tell you what they are... the one at the bottom is printemps)

Ride the Snake to the Lake
And here's my tribute to Chinese New Year in my Tangle a Day calendar.  Happy New Year!!

I'm not sure if the tangles used in Feb 10 or 11 have been claimed or named... if not, i'll break 'em down.
Have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

28 comments:

  1. Laura, love your tile and your calendar this week. Very nice. Hope you stay healthy and the boys get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope that you ALL are healthy again REAL SOON.... Spring is on its way and hopefully it will clear out all those nasty germs up there for you...
    Thanks for the awesome challenges Laura... Have a good week... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I hate when the puke goes all over. Little Man had it a couple weeks ago and we wound up putting towels on his bed and the floor under his bed so when he puked, most of it went on the towels. We have infinitely more towels than we do fitted sheets for his bed. It made it a little easier.

    Then I got it.

    Then Husband got it (after both of us were pretty much over it).

    Horrible. I can totally empathize with you :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the challenge Laura and hope that you all get well really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And they say moms don't work! So sorry you were struck by the "crud". It seems like every winter when children are small, that is the drill. Hope you all are mended by now. Thanks for your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this challenge, thanks. Hope you stay well, sorry to hear all your Boys were so ill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH! I feel so badly for your family! The stomach virus/norovirus was going around in this area, too! I knocked on wood for you. I love your snake idea, and your tangles are marvey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm new to this...and this is only like my 10th tangle..but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your tile and calendar page. This was fun to do. :-)

    I'm so sorry everyone has been sick. It's bad enough when we're sick, but when kids have a stomach bug, it's that much worse. My daughter has had several times when she's been called "Barf Baby" because it helped us cope with the trauma. I hope everyone is better now (not soon, now!). :-) Wishing you all lots of health and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh, I hope your family is doing much better now! No fun when kids are sick, especially when parents get it too! Thanks for the great challenge, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun challenge, Laura! It must be a rule of the universe that kids get the barfing flu in the middle of the night....so glad I am done with those years, but I feel your pain. You always amaze me that you still manage to create a beautiful tile and calendar page, with everything else going on in your life. Thanks for all you do to keep these challenges going! Hope everyone feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for keeping up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear that you and your family have been so sick. Glad you are all starting to feel better. Thanks for doing this challenge! I needed a pick me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope u and the kids get back on your feet soon Laura...HUGS!....:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope everyone at your house is all better and that you didn't end up with the crud. I loved your tile and the calendar entry. I did google the Chinese patterns and they were stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am slow to comment this week...but that doesn't mean that I haven't enjoyed the challenge and been thankful to you Laura for your constancy and creative challenges! I really am sorry that you have been struggling with health in your home. It has been a few years since my life revolved around sickness, how soon we forget......so that might be good news for you....this too shall pass. I tried to link again. For the first part of the week it worked but now it is taking you to the design site. I am sorry for that. Lovely tiles from you always gives inspiration! Thank's B-rad for the breakdown of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am slow to comment too. I am down sick but I managed to get one tile completed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your calendar page, Laura!! And Brad's Phicops steps. And congrats to Suzanne and Molly for winning the Tangle a Day calendar. I hope you enjoy them.

    This was a fun challenge! Sending 'getwellstaywell' vibes to your sweet little tribe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My first time to contribute! Very fun. Thanks for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, again! Hope you are all feeling much better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Laura...I hope your family is on the mend soon. Thanks so much for taking time out of your very busy life to keep this webpage up and running. You have enriched the lives of many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am back at work this week so took me a bit longer to get my tiles done, but there they are. I am please to have successfully used color for the first time. Fun assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this week's theme. Sending healing hugs to you, feel better, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you again for a wonderful challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love everyone's tangles - at least the 16 or so I've looked at so far!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I tried sending my tile by e-mail, but do not think it worked, hope this time it does...

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!