Monday, February 18, 2013

Weekly Challenge #107

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
Hey everybody!
Happy Monday!
so, i don't want to jinx it, or anything, but it seems that things are slowly getting back to normal at our place.

I hope you all had a great week, and a happy Valentine's Day.  B-rad and i celebrated by giving each other a high five.  That's how we roll.

I did a little more celebrationy type things with the boys, though.

MMMmmmmm
 Chewie and i indulged in Chocolate Glazed Heart Shaped Donuts and Artoo had himself some chocolate pudding.  Some day he'll be able to eat regular solid foods... until then... CHOCOLATE PUDDING!!

I'mma gonna eat this chocolate
 Also, here's a photo of my little hipster.

I think he rocks these frames, don't you?
 Friday Grandpa and I were treated to Chewie's Preschool Valentine's Day tea.    The class sang us songs they'd been learning all year, and served us sugar cookies and "tea" at our own classy table complete with a sparkly centerpiece Chewie made at school.  It was awesome, he was so cute, pouring out the "tea" for dad and i.
My dad and Chewie, having Tea.

What a gentleman, he poured tea for his mama first, then Grandpa, then himself.
My beautiful cousin got married this weekend in Calgary, so i made a road trip with my mom and dad and brothers, leaving B-rad at home with the boys.  (I wrote this post on Friday, so i'm sure i'll have things to say next week about my trip)  Everyone wish B-rad luck and patience.  :)


Weekly Challegne #107: "New Official Tangle: Quandry"
This past week Rick and Maria released, in their Zentangle Newsletter, a brand new Official tangle into the world... and it's awesome.  It's called Quandry, and it's based on a Rice Shaped oval type thinger. (technical terms only here!)

I've been playing with this one in my calendar, and it's pretty sweet.  When i get back from my trip, i'll post my tile!
Feb 1st is a quandry...

The challenge is to play with the new tangle, get to know it.  See how it works.

One tip i have - i find it easier if you don't concentrate on building the flower, but instead concentrate on building triangles off of triangles, similar to Tripoli.

Have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

24 comments:

  1. I post a YouTube how to draw this pattern. Maybe that can be of some help to people who find this pattern hard to draw? Feel free to remove this link if you do not want it in your list. love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the BEST!. HUGS..:) Helped me sooo much but I had already begun the tile. Will use it for practice...Please post more..:)

      Delete
    2. ... if people and visitors will tell me their request I sure will make more videos my friend :-) I would be glad to... love 'n greetz, Ellen

      Delete
  2. Laura, your calendar pages are so amazing! I love how the tangles seem to pop out of the page in dimensions of beauty! So happy your family is - knock on wood- doing better! Thanks again for your sweet challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you are all becoming better - let's hope it continues. Another great challenge Laura - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Laura, on 800 followers that's a big WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the challenge! I'm still at the experimental stage with quandary, as you can see:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent mastered Quandry yet. Left me in a quandry till I came upon Ellen's Videos.

    Congrats Laura! 800 and counting...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, I just love your family pics this week! You and Chewie eating the donuts, Artoo in the big glasses, and my favorite is Chewie pouring the tea....does it get any sweeter!!! Also, love your calendar page! Hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, I forgot yesterday was Monday! Holidays throw me off sometimes. I hope you all had a nice Valentine's Day. Congrats on all of your fans! You must be doing something right. :-)

    I haven't quite embraced Quandary, but I'm practicing.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew, this one was tough! I'm now better at Quandry than I was but, oy, I still haven't mastered it. (Neither, mind you, have I mastered Tripoli, sadly!)
    Can't wait to see what everyone else is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the challenge, Laura! I can see from some comments that I'm in good company here. Quandary is a really odd conundrum! My first attempt ended up like a nest of wasps. I practiced more for the second attempt (this one), but only got some of it right and ended up with a ZIA that will go into my collection of "bits n pieces" because it's really disorganized and only gained stature when I'd coloured it! Then Ginny Stiles kindly sent me a very simple diagram of how to do quandary, which I have posted along with Faith2. I know it's a pattern worth conquering, so I'll persevere. I'm starting to get paradox right now, so I'm confident about quandary!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that your family is feeling better. Thanks for what turned out to be a HUGE challenge. Thanks to Ellen and Faith for some help with this tangle. I loved your calendar page!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad things are coming under control. I hope your outing was fun, and that the "boys" were all okay, too! Those donuts look tasty, and Artoo looks cute in glasses. Great job Chewie on pouring that tea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to read everyone's getting better. Your Quandary is delightfully neat!! very pretty. Congrats on 800 followers - YAY!! and of course, thanks for always putting on a fab challenge - and this week sure was a challenge for me, but I am getting to like this new tangle more and more - still got some practising to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Laura! I think you misspelled the name of the new pattern on your blog title.

    I also want to say that your boys are too stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear things are back to normal at your house - or whatever passes for normal! I'm glad I got back from vacation in time to participate since I missed last week. Oh - by the way, on my blog, only the first tile uses Quandary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had my own private challenge this week - my first attempt was dark and all the tangles had the same tonal value, but good news - it scanned better than it looked IRL. I've noticed my scanner lightens the pencil shading. My second attempt is lighter, but still suffers from similar tones in all the tangles. I'll be working on getting more contrast in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had trouble with this one. I think my entry came out ok, but it didn't turn out how I planned. For me this tangle will take practice, but it is a very pretty and versatile pattern and I will probably use it a lot. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the challenge. I had trouble with the spelling, so if my link is on your list twice go with the second one. :-) Hope you are healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Will have to keep practicing this one, don't really know if I got it right, but...I've been lurking here for awhile,finally getting up the courage to enter, so many wonderful artists. Sympathies and prayers on your Grandmother's passing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry about your Gramma, such a hard thing to lose someone you love. I just signed up today - hope, hope, hope I did it right! My Quandary, I think, is loosely interpreted - but that's part of the fun, right? I'll keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bit late adding my second drawing for this challenge as I was really in a quandary about whether I liked it enough to add it or not....(see what I did there?!)

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!