Monday, March 25, 2013

Weekly Challenge #111

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com


Happy Monday!

It was my last day of work on Tuesday, and it was a bittersweet goodbye.  Mostly i felt supported by the staff, in my decision to stay home with my kids.  And there were cupcakes.  who doesn't love cupcakes?

After i said good bye i settled into my homemaker job.
 I have the BEST job. Ever.

 Just another busy day at the office....

Chewie and I made brownies.
While the brownies cooled, we had a quick photo session

love.


Chewie is SOOOO proud of the brownies we made.
We got the recipe from pinterest, it was a success!

Artoo had some pudding.

Chewie and I had this

A shot of my backyard... so much snow. Ridiculous.

Captured moments from my new job.  Love this.

i did a quick sketch of myself, i'm trying to figure a way of doing a quick self portrait for art journalling...
time for the challenge...

Weekly Challenge #111: "More-Mooka-Madness Monotangle-Mania"

This challenge really came out of a facebook conversation in our CZT (Certified Zentangle Teacher) page when someone challenged us to fess up to tangles that we don't do because we're not fond of them, or have trouble with them.

I'm pretty sure i've said before how Mooka is one of my 'tough ones'.  I said as much in the facebook thread, and it turns out i'm not the only one.

I had the idea to return to the drawing board, or tile as it were, and revisit Mooka... it's been almost exactly 2 years since it was released to the world...

also - to make it a Monotangle.
A Monotangle is a term (created by my hubby b-rad) to describe a Zentangled piece consisting of a SINGLE tangle and it's variations.

Here's a youtube video put out by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas - our Zentangle masters.  


you can also see the step outs in the original newsletter here

Before i started my tile, i re-watched the video a few times to get a feel for the tangle again, as demonstrated by Maria.

Also, i think i've mentioned before that i have an Original Maria Thomas tattooed on my body!  True story!
Calligraphy done by Maria Thomas
 What's that i see embellishing the "T"? Why, it's mooka!  Also, i'd be lying if i said i didn't refer back to my left arm on a regular basis to see 'how Maria does it'.

The challenge this week is to use ONLY MOOKA and it's tangleations to explore it's capabilities. 

 Here's my take on it.  Y'know - try as i might, i just couldn't get the "flow" that i love when Maria does it.   I decided to try again... now that i was warmed up...


I used a black tile, mostly because there was one right next to me.  And i have to say that i'm quite pleased with this one.  I don't think i'm quite comfortable putting this one into my list of 'go-to' tangles, but i definitely want to keep exploring this one.  It feels like the more i do it, the looser i feel, the better my little mooka pods turn out



Have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

39 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying your new job!
    I'm not so glad :-) with the challenge,
    because I'm also one of the people that feel that this is a (too) hard tangle for me. But .... I will make an effort (of course) and you wil get it later this week.
    Today is my birthday and like yesterday, there are visitors coming for a meal tonight.
    By the way: I like your tile, so it's a GREAT challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday Anne!!
      Good luck with Mooka... it's a challenging one.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy, this will be "blood, sweat & tears" again, for I totally agree with you, LOL! Perhaps I'll do better if I take a brownie too. That's one of the advantages of your new job: making your boys and yourself happy in no time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anneke, brownies make everything better. ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi Laura, the brownies keep me going: I've just uploaded my 2nd entry! Mooka is FUN!! Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it great when you love your job? :-) I'm so glad it's going well for you. Brownies certainly help too. Chewie looks so cute admiring his about-to-be-eaten creation.

    Thanks for the challenge. I had a blast with my MonoMooka!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the challenge! Super glad to hear you are having fun at the new job. Mmmmm Brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this CHallenge and for forcing me discover new tangles - all above the ones i immediately fell in love with :)
    wish you all the best in your new Job! Have fun with your kids, they are only once young!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Zasa. Thanks for making me do Mooka. I think I am finally beginning to "get" it. But it will never be my favorite. So glad you are enjoying being a full-time mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It IS the best job :) I loved being home FT for my kids. Love, love the challenge this week......mooka, my absolute favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Challengeing challenge this week! I'm so glad you are home with the boys. They are the cutest EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great challenge to return to. I like Mooka but it is hard to decide how to finish it off. Hopefully will be able to start participating again regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great challenge Laura, Mooka is one of my faves and I always enjoy the opportunity to Mookify my work. It's wonderful you get to be home to enjoy your wonderful boys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, it's Traci F. Can only comment as anonymous for some reason ... Uggggg
    First, love the pics of your boys. They are adorable.
    Second, so happy you get to stay home with them ... That is THE most important job out there.
    Third, thank you for the challenge! Until today I didn't much like Mooka but you'll be glad to know that we've bonded and will be great pals from this day forward!
    You are such an inspiration.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Laura...The boys looks wonderful and Im simply LOVING your self potrait trials...:)

    Im as afraid of MOOKA as most of you. Lets hope my entries are worth it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love mooka, I find it hard to tangle a tile with out a little mooka!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you LOVE your new job. It will be the hardest and the most rewarding one you have ever held. Enjoy, I know your boys will, all three of them!
    Mooka, mooka, mooka. the more you do the more you love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so many pics of my girls when they were little licking the beaters or the brownie bowl....thanks for the good memory! Enjoy every one of those sweet (pun) moments with your boys! Mooka is one of those tangles that just gets better with practice. Enjoy you week, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura, I've always considered it the supreme privilege that I got to stay home with my daughter. They are young for such a short time. I did have to do freelance work to stay there, but every moment was so worth it. Your boys are adorable, and although staying home comes with challenges of its own, it is so rewarding!

    I haven't commented before on your makeover shots. It looks like you had a great time, and your hair and clothing suits you so wonderfully. Your personality really shines through.

    Thanks for the Mooka challenge this week. It's a pattern I've practiced a lot, but one that has been very frustrating for me. Starting last challenge, I am going to be following your lead, and publishing my first tile, regardless of how I feel about it. Hopefully, I have time in the week for a second.

    Didn't mean to write a book, here. lol. Have a great week, Laura. Beth (Elizabeth Beveridge on FB).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! After only 24 hours I can't believe how many responses are already here. You do such a great job. I wanted to tell you how happy I am for your decision to change your full time job. Such a wonderful blessing to be able to do that. I only got to do that for a brief two years back when my son was little.
    Thanks for doing so much for the zentangle/tangle community. I always hate it when I have to miss one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda... Tangling while drinking wine? two of my favourite things. <3

      Delete
  18. I love this post. Making a home for your fam and rearing your own kids is the toughest job on earth...and the best and most rewarding. I also love Mooka - so double yay. Yay, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed wallowing in this lovely pattern. After posting the first try I decided to swing the mooka strokes for a second time, with an idea in mind that was really so simple but such fun.
    As usual, your challenge has received a great response. I'm sure that reassures you, Laura, that what you are doing for this community of scribblers is really appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the Mooka challenge a little intimidating for me but I tried it and like my out come. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Laura! I absolutely love this pattern--and how incredibly cool is the original Maria Thomas tattoo!!!!! Love it in both sentiment and look. I wish you the best in your new endeavor as the CEO at Chez Harms--God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Laura for another wonderful challenge! You really do make us get out of our comfort zone - and it is MUCH appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your tattoo is great. This Mooka tangle is really going to take some practice on my part, but that's the fun of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonjour,
    Je viens de découvrir votre blog et je me suis lancée dans le dessin en suivant la vidéo "Mooka" ce matin ! J'ai découvert le doodling il y a peu ......... J'ai essayé d'entrer le lien vers mon message avec mes dessins, mais je ne suis pas certaine d'y être arrivée !
    http://annabelscrap.canalblog.com/archives/2013/03/29/26769344.html

    Merci pour toutes ces vidéos, je vais continuer d'explorer votre blog. Bises. Annabel.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, I have discovered your blog a few days ago. Thank you so much for providing those challenges, I am learning to draw from home and it is a good way for me to practice :) I have just put a link to my zentangle, I hope it has worked. Have a nice week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have enjoyed your blog and weekly challenges for the longest time and finally decided to participate. Thank you so much for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Laura, your Mooka is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you, Laura! Love the site and your creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I combined this challenge with last week's challenge and did a mooka ZIA and tried out watercolor pencils. In a couple of weeks Jean Theurkauf is coming to the art center to do a workshop on color so I'm trying to get a little practice in before she gets here!

    Re being a stay home mom... I was able to stay home with my kids (who are now teenagers and one is heading to college in September!) and wouldn't trade it for the world. Your photos bring back so many happy memories of baking and playing with them...Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the great challenge. Even though I'm one of the people who love this tangle and use it often, I've gotten so many wonderful ideas from looking at the entries. Can't wait for the slideshow, because I don't have time to go to every single person individually this week.

    ReplyDelete
  31. First of all, LOVE Maria's tat! Thanks for the reminder of how much fun Mooka can be. Wish I had time to do more, but I'm barely squeezing this one in on time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the challenge, Laura. This week was very very hard, so you challenge was a peaceful time to me.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm playing catch up myself! But I'm feeling better about Mooka :D

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!