Monday, April 22, 2013

Weekly Challenge #115

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com - also to those people who donated this week... THANK YOU SO MUCH.


Happy Monday!
Here's a few Thank you card tiles i made this week for some wonderful ladies who donated to my blog recently, something new i'm trying out:




I put those in the mail this week - and they're on their way! (Thanks ladies!)

Chewie is still having fun drawing, something i hope he continues to enjoy... here's a life sized drawing of himself.  He laid down on a large sheet of paper and i traced him.  he did the face and shrit and hair... he is wishing he had some lemonade and some chips.
 SUCCESS!! he's clearly happy that his drawing was taken seriously by the giver-of-snacks... aka me.

 Artoo has been adorable, as always. 

On Saturday morning we made it out to the Grand opening of a new Frozen Yogurt place by our house.  It also happened to be a fundraiser for our local Children's Hospital Foundation - a charity close to our hearts, obviously. 

Chewie, Artoo and i posed with the Hospital's mascot who was on hand to give out high fives and hugs.  Artoo was pretty taken with him and kept signing "Dance" and saying bear. 


Saturday night was the concert for my friend's fundraiser.  I did not take many pictures, but here's one of me dressed as Lola, the Devil's Assistant from "Damn Yankees". 

From what i hear, i did well.  At least, that's what B-rad and my parents tell me.  Artoo and Chewie loved the concert, and Artoo kept signing "more, Mama, Sing," so that's awesome.

whatever Lola wants...
B-rad did take a video of me singing, i'll try to get that uploaded.

Weekly Challenge #115: "Amanda Day - or Earth Day"
For those of you who are new to the Weekly Challenge, last year around Earth Day, Chewie spontaneously decided to rename the Earth Amanda.  I'm not sure why, i don't think he even knows anyone named Amanda, but it's sort of stuck - at least for now.

Last year by this time in April i was pulling out my overgrown strawberries and cleaning out my flower beds.  This year it's -2 C (28F) and we're still staring out into a yard of white snow.  It has been melting, but slowly.  Which, i guess, is good - if we'd had warmer weather the past two weeks, we'd probably be underwater.  As it is, there's no telling what the melt will be like when it's well under way.

ANYWAY, this week's challenge is our Mother Earth and whatever that means to you.  However you'd like to interpret that.

I used a prestrung zendala tile, pigma micron pen and a blue and green fine liner

As with last year, i was immediately drawn to the round Zendala tiles.  And i have to say, i STILL feel so challenged by zendalas.  I don't know why, or what it is about them, but i really struggle with them.  I think, possibly, because there seems to be more planning involved.  For example, i used a prestrung zendala tile and decided to do an alternating pattern in the outside edge (I was working from the outside in) and as i was working around the tile, i realized that this was a nine petaled zendala... and doesn't work with an alternating pattern.

but i think it worked out in the end.


Have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (please email to weeklychallenge(at)mail(dot)com)I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

21 comments:

  1. Your zenadal is stunning, Laura! I like the tangles and also the colors you used.
    Here in Holland, spring is just starting now (it's two weeks later than'normal') and I was just doing some gardening with my husband. Thank you for another challenge, I'll go and see what I did last year with Earthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Chewie for a challenge with a fun name! Your zendala is absolutely gorgeous! I hope you and yours have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you do just fine with zendalas. Using your "extra" ninth outer section for your initials was a stroke of genius!!

    And Chewie did great with his self portrait, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your zendala is fantastic! Can't wait to see the video of you singing. I used to be a singer, in my younger days, lol!
    Your kiddos are wonderful, as per usual.
    I look forward to doing a Mother Earth zentangle. So many possibilities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sensational drawing Chewie!
    I am looking forward to hearing you sing too!
    Super Zendala Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your zendala! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your earthdala. Great work! It looks as if you have a budding artist in Chewie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your ThankYou tiles! And congrats on your singing comeback! Thanks for always being here:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your zendala is gorgeous! Love the colors! Looking forward to hearing your performance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tile is just gorgeous Laura! It took me a while to figure how I was going to do on paper what was in my head lol. Thanks for this week's challenge Laura - have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Thanks tiles. This wasn't exactly what was in my head but it's what came to life on the tile. Thank Chewie for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura, you look adorable all dressed up like Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What happened to the Linky machine and the listing of all the people that submitted tiles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not sure, it's here on my end. maybe try refreshing your browser?

      Delete
  14. Hello Everyone,

    This is my first entry for the Weekly Challenge...I hope I did it right. :D I love this idea of sharing our ZIA. I love to do a Tanglelation and take a pic and post it to Facebook but now I have started a blog and figured out how to follow/join others so I can see what others do with different tangles. Thanks so much!

    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chewie is just adorable, that longing cheeky smile for the snacks and drink!!! How could you resist. As for Artoo, he is adorable and I am sure he is practising his smile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Zendala Laura. Great challenge this week. Amanda Day is such a success, thanks Chewy! Love his drawings, a future Picasso.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I finally finished in time to post! Thanks for a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Better late than never again! Oh well.

    I love your tiles and Zendala! So nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really impressed by this challenge. The results are all so beautifully creative.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just started playing with zentangles about two weeks ago sort of on a whim. I'm using my ipad and the ap "Paper" to draw them, mostly, though I have done some by hand and some using my desktop with a wacom tablet and Corel's Painter.

    I'm working on skill building in support of starting a new business that requires me to create a lot of sketches and diagrams to share online. zentangles are a nice tool for getting my chops back, and getting used to the digital tools I'm using now.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!