Monday, May 6, 2013

Weekly Challenge #117

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com - also to those people who donated this week... THANK YOU SO MUCH.


Happy Monday!
We FINALLY had some beautiful weather this week!!

B-rad and i took advantage of the weather and got a lot of work done on our yard.  There was a lot of snow mold on the grass from the looooong winter.  It felt good to get that cleaned up, and to clean out my flower beds and my raised garden bed.  I'm really hoping some of my lilies survived and that they'll grow again this year. 
Chewie and Artoo catchin' some rays

Artoo gettin' his Ride on.

I'm so thankful for our big back yard, but it sure is a lot of work

With temperatures in the high 20s this weekend, i came away with a bit of a burn, but i'll take it if it means there's no more snow.

Also, with us spending the majority of the time outside away from the tv and computer and phones, i realize i have very few pictures to share with you this week, but i think that's okay.  It really was a fun weekend.  

Weekly Challenge #117: "New Official Tangle: Schway"

"Schway"
Ordinarily, as today is the first Monday of the month, it should be a Use My Tangle Challenge - however, this week Rick and Maria released a new official tangle called "Schway", so the Use my Tangle challenge will be postponed to next Monday while we all try our hand at this new tangle!

source
If you want to see some more examples of Rick and Maria using Schway, you can visit the newsletter here or on the Zentangle blog here.

this tangle has taken me a little while to master.  I had a hard time making the rows line up to get even arrows.  Having said that, i LOVE the way this tangle looks.  I love the interlocking arrows, and one of the classic Zentangle elements - complexity through simplicity.   I really think that this one is a "Wow" factor tangle, up there with paradox and cadent. 

See you all next week! (this is where i let it slip that my birthday is next sunday! May 12, which is also Mother's Day! i'll be 33.)

UPDATE: today Rick and Maria posted on the Zentangle blog a variation step-out (aroz) of Schway created by Scott in Colorado.  If you're having trouble 'lining things up', this might be the version for you!  Rick says:
It is so exciting to become aware of patterns in your surroundings, ponder ways to deconstruct them, and then share them with others. With so many people enjoying that process, we will likely see more of this.

Have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (please email to weeklychallenge(at)mail(dot)com)I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really liking Schway! I can't wait to see what everyone else does with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to see you basking in the sun! I had missed the email for the new pattern, I am so glad you gave us the chance to use it in the challenge. Happy week to you Laura, and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to tell you how much I like your tile, it is inspirational to see that it does not have to be uniform...the different angles give it such character!

      Delete
  4. And I thought English weather was tempramental! Looking forward to trying this new tangle. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great new tangle...anxious to try this one out. And---Happy Birthday coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your tile, You are brave than I. Happy Birthday early!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tile is great! Happy Birthday wishes from me also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your two are so cute enjoying the sun. This new tangle looks intimidating. Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, The way you curved schway is very clever.
    Have a wonderful birthday...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful yard...enjoying your blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you again Laura and Happy Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhhh sun you see sun!!! We are moving into Winter here!
    This challenge was...well...a CHALLENGE!
    Good to stretch the grey matter a bit..Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot to leave my comment after linking yesterday, so I am back. Fest, the photo of the boys basking in the sun is adorable! Schway was a fun challenge. Thanks for al your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wasn't a huge fan of this tangle at first but it really grew on me once I found a way to make the arrows less obviously arrows.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful day with a good dose of sun. (Love the photo of the boys basking in the rays).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merci pour cette nouvelle inspiration ! J'ai adoré ..... C'est sur mon blog ! Bises.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed this Challenge but will definitely have to practice Schway/Aroz more. Have not had a chance to look at the other submissions yet but looking forward to seeing different variations and trying some of these out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh the joy of being outdoors again- YAY! Have a wonderful birthday & Mother's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so excited to finally finish a Diva's Challenge in time to post it. This one was schway fun!!! Thanks, Rick, Maria, and Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hip hip hip hurray and many happy returns of the day!! Love & greetz!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!