Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Weekly Challenge #119

Happy Tuesday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com - also to those people who donated this week... THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Happy Tuesday!
We had such a great Long weekend at Casa Diva.  B-rad did some work at his brother's place, building a retaining wall - building up some "favour-credit" for when we rebuild our deck in a few weeks... and on Sunday morning i went on a 6 km walk with some friends, canvassing a neighbourhood for a charity 5K run my friend and i are putting on in two weeks... *YIKES* and Monday morning B-rad did some yard work, and then put together our brand new fire pit before we all headed to the zoo with my mom and dad.

Artoo and Mama, me and B-rad, a sleepy old bear, a nesting Canadian goose,
and Chewie holding mama's hand
 The weather was just beautiful, and the kids were mostly well behaved. Thankfully, Grandma and Grandpa are awesome.
A mountain Lion, my mama and me, a swan, and Chewie gettin' close with a Peacock

 After the zoo, we all went back to our house and had a wiener roast in our new fire pit, complete with bush pies!  It's been a pretty great weekend.

hard at work, writing my blog post

Weekly Challenge #119: "Ebony and Ivory"
I've actually had this challenge in my back pocket for a while  A few weeks ago, Maria had popped me an email letting me know that a fun post was going up on the Zentangle blog that would make a great challenge.  This week's challenge was directly inspired by this post on the Zentangle Blog where Rick and Maria showcase some gorgeous pieces where the black and white are evenly distributed throughout the tiles. 

having had a few weeks to think about this, i pondered how i would go about creating my tile... but in the end, i decided that i wasn't feeling very zen about my pre-designed tile - that that was too much pre-planning and wasn't in the true spirit of Zentangle... so, i scrapped that idea and just sat down, got out my pens... and just tangled. 

Ebony and Ivory....living in perfect harmony
Oh, how challenging this was for me.  I just can't get the "look" of white on black that i want... in fact, i've been struggling for a long time to find a nice opaque white pen that will do what i want it to do both in my Zentangling and my art journaling practice...  I've had mixed results with my Sakura Gelly Roll White pens, and in fact, i think the pen i used on this tile is an Inkssentials Opaque White pen by Ranger products, which i then went over, a second time with a Sakura Glaze White pen.

So, this week's challenge is to try to use equal parts white and black within your tile... if you don't have access to a white pen, you could try using tangles with high contrast like knightsbridge, bunzo or zedbra!  Or just browse through tanglepatterns.com for some inspiration.

Have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (please email to weeklychallenge(at)mail(dot)com)I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

20 comments:

  1. I really love this challenge, I love contrast and black and white has so much scope for beauty! Thank you so much for the challenge! Laura, your life is an example of all the emotions that are strong in hard and fantastic, thank you so much for sharing! Your tile is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try a white uni-ball signo pen..they're smooth and opaque. There's no fighting with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sandy, i will... it seems i'v been hunting for ages... i'm starting to wonder if i'm cursed? lol. or if my Sakura gelly rolls are lemons? everyone else seems to get these beautiful results... even my inkssentials white doesn't work the way it looks like it should.

      Delete
    2. Comment device ate my first comment. I get cranky using white pens, too, and the only tip I've heard so far is to slow down, or use acrylic paint. I briefly considered Wite-Out...

      Delete
    3. Yes I'm with Sandy on that one, I swear by my Uni-ball

      Delete
  3. This art piece does have white on black throughout. Hope this qualifies for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this challenge, and I like your tile.
    I also have mixed results with my Sakura Gelly Roll White pen. The ink does not have a constant flow.
    And depending on the paper I use, the result is different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I'm right there with you on the black paper/white pen. I have not found anything that I am totally happy with. The white uni-ball pen that Sandy Hunter suggested is the closest I've come to sort-of-liking a white pen. But I will take on this challenge and we will see what happens!! peace, Sue O.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still new at this, it's only my 19th tile ever, so I'm not sure I got the balance of black & white right. It's all a learning experience, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sitting around an outside fire is one of my favourite things to do, Laura your fire pit looks splendid so is your tile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first Diva Challenge. What a fun way to share your art. I still need a lot of practice but I do enjoy the process. I used inapod light and dark. Thanks for letting me join!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great challenge. Very outside our normal box.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful, wacky challenge this week was. Love what everyone's done. Thanks again Laura and Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you again Laura! I LOVE your tile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't comment every week, though I should. I sometimes don't even get through looking at every entry, but I always try. The earlier I get mine in the easier it is to look, since I don't like to peek before I finish mine. I am amazed at the energy you have, and the wonderful contribution you make to the Zentangle® community. I recently read a comment you made to a CZT (I think it was Sandy Bartholomew) before you even took the CZT training. You haven't been around as a CZT as long as I thought you had. You have accomplished so much, with so many other challenges to take up your time. Your boys are gorgeous, and I really enjoy reading about your journey as mom and artist, and looking at pictures of your wonderful family. I think it's wonderful that Brad joins in and does tangles, and helps with the website. A heartfelt thank you for all the joy you bring to so many people all over this wonderful planet we are so graced to live on. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always, I love your challenges! I can't wait to see all the entries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting challenge. Are a few things that I want to try later when I have the time. I agree that one of the things that makes this a challenge is the delivery of the white ink. I have used all of the ones that I have seen mentioned and I have not liked any of them that well. The most consistent issue is the inconsistent coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's a strong emotional component in the contrast of light and dark... Appreciate the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  16. After a long time of absence... here again. I had to push myself, so that my tile came to an end before the week went by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great Tangles, I have certainly missed doing the challenges. I hope to jump back in next week. I can't wait. I want to go back and watch all the other slide shows too. Oh my, I may never get anything else done. LOL

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!