Monday, May 27, 2013

Weekly Challenge #120

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com - also to those people who donated this week... THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Happy Monday!
And a Happy Memorial Day to my friends to the South in the States.

This week Chewie had a big day when he graduated from Preschool.  We went to the Forestry Farm to have his big celebration.  My dad came along as his special guest and had a great time playing with Artoo on the playground.
So Proud of our little guy.
Right after he got his diploma it started raining, thankfully it waited until we were done.  Huzzah!

We've been spending more time outside and the boys have been having a great time in the sandbox.
the boys playing in the sandbox
And on Saturday,  my friend Tara and i spent the day at the Saskatchewan Marathon Expo.  You may remember Tara from this challenge about Beads of Courage.  We have organized a 5K Colour Festival Fun Run to raise money for this program in Saskatchewan, it's happening next Sunday, so we spent the day spreading the word.
beads of courage

then yesterday Artoo and i had some fun with sidewalk chalk.
cutie pants
i can't get enough of his little face.

Weekly Challenge #120: "Tangleation Nation; Bales"
One of the wonderful parts of Zentangle is how it is always growing and changing and becoming something beautiful and new.  Part of the way this happens is through tangleations or variations of tangles.

In this week's challenge we are going to explore the tangle Bales (follow the link for the step outs) -  one of the staples of Zentangle. 
There is so much possibility in this tangle, so much room for variation.

Play with this tangle, really open it up and take it for a drive... put the top down and let your hair loose!  Where can it go? What can it do.  What are you and Bales capable of together?
Have fun!

Bales of fun
Create a Monotangled* tile or Zentangle Inspired Art using only Bales and it's variation.

*Monotangle is a term referring to a tile or ZIA that uses only one tangle - either in it's true form or tangleated form

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (please email to weeklychallenge(at)mail(dot)com)I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

21 comments:

  1. Each week I love opening your blog and not only getting to recieve a new challenge and explore the wonderful art of zentangle, also, I get to smile and sometimes cry with you as you share your amazing life with us! Your tangleations are fabulous in this tile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, I get such a kick each week reading your blog and finding out what you and your wonderful family are up to. This week, I just love the sidewalk chalk you and Chewie did. Thanks for all you do for the Zentangle® community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've long admired Zentangle, but only just decided to give it a go! This is the first challenge I've entered, so I hope I've done it right. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, serendipity at work again. Amazing. Did you know that a group of turtles is called a bale? Check out my blog and the picture of a bale of turtles as well as my challenge piece. Thanks so much for being the wonderful you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bales is an excellent tangle...thanks! Super sidewalk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing your kids and family. They all look happy to have you at home! Thank you for another wonderful challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura, I agree with the above, it's always a treat to read, and see pics of your family life. Thanks for sharing that with all of us! Love the sidewalk art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great family photos again, and a nice challenge. I think bales was the first "proper" pattern I learnt and it's in all my early zentangle style drawings. I've tried to find new tangleations in today's doodle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my second challenge and I love love doing it. I look forward to getting it in my email. I also love looking at everybody else's. There are some very very talented artist! Thank you for this site and your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bales is like PB&J or mac and cheese. It's my comfort tangle. So glad it was this weeks challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your challenges..thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am back after a long hiatus. My attempts at tangling are primitive compared to the lovely work shared by real artists; even so, I do love Zentangle!

    Even when I didn't participate I've checked in to see the weekly challenge--just for the updates on your beautiful family. Thank you for sharing so much with this community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth -- I used to feel a little odd in comparing my more simple Zentangles with others who soar. But our Zentangle Club does a show every year, and we put children's entries mixed right in with everyone else's and it's magic how they compliment each other. I also have arthritis and carpal tunnel, so sometimes I am a little shaky. I have come to be so happy for all levels of Zentangle. Hooray for you and all your Zentangle artwork!

      Delete
  13. Anyone else notice Laura's background is Bales?

    Thanks for another wonderful challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura, its nice to get back to the basics. I've not done this one for quite some time, it was fun. Love your sidewalk art. My Grand Daughter just celebrated her 1st birthday, she got finger paints from Grandma..heheh!! Can't wait.
    peace,
    Sue O.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all your photographs, but especially the chalk Zentangle inspired art -- the one with your son on it is precious! Haven't done the challenge in a long time -- it was so fun to play this week. Thank you for this place, all these wonderful Zentangle artists, and sharing your loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merci pour ce nouveau motif ..... trois nouvelles pages dans mon petit carnet ! Bises.

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, I'm having some Mr. Linky issues, I think. I had posted my first URL, but now it's not there. I went to enter a second one (with a better response to the challenge), and I'm hoping it's there. I'm sorry if you received multiple posts. I think something weird was going on.

    I wasn't too sure about this challenge. I like Bales, and I usually love monotangles. I struggled at first for some reason and got into my own head. I didn't let that stop me and practiced what I preach to my students. I tried again and was much happier with the process and the end result. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just entered my first challenge. Hope I did it correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OK, I've tried three times to comment. I only have one tangle. It should be #98, but I messed up and pointed the URL back to here. #99 is pointed to my blog post. Apparently Mr. Linkey's removal tool failed.

    Anyway (for the third and I hope final time), I learned to slow down this time and that a tangle doesn't have to be complex or fussy to be lovely. Simplicity works, too.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!