Monday, June 3, 2013

Weekly Challenge #121

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com - also to those people who donated this week... THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Happy Monday!!

Sunday (yesterday) was our Beads of Courage Colour Festival Fun Run that my friend Tara and i organized, as a fundraiser.  It was an untimed 5K fun run - and we had a really great turn out!  I spent most of Saturday doing last minute organization stuff, and making lists, and more lists, and then lists of my lists (not kidding!).   Tara and i packed everything into my van then i went home and made some more lists.   I went to bed sometimes around midnight, and wasn't able to shut my brain off until somewhere around 1:30am, only to wake up at 3:00 am with a dream that someone had stolen my van with all our race stuff in it, including the 500 lbs of coloured corn starch we were going to throw at our runners.  Once i was awake, i lay there in bed wondering if i had locked my van doors.  I usually do, but the more i thought about it, the more uncertain i became, and around 3:30 or so i decided that the only way i was going to get back to sleep was to get out of bed, go downstairs, and go outside and check.  sure enough.  the van was locked.

I fell asleep again, only to wake up at 5:40 to get up for the day.  I was picking Tara up at 6:30 and i didn't want to be late.

needless to say, after the event today - i am exhausted.  i really want to tell you all about the race, and i will - but probably not today.  hopefully i can put more effort into telling you all about it sometime this week, so check back for pictures and more goodness.  It was such a great day.

Weekly Challenge #121: "UMT XVII: Birds on a Wire
 As many of you know, the first Monday of every month is a UMT challenge (or Use My Tangle), as last week was an official Zentangle tangle, we moved it to this week this go-round.

The challenge is to learn and use one of the tangles created by YOU.  (if you have a tangle you'd like to submit, please read the guidelines here)

This week's tangle was created by Mary Kissel, CZT - and you can see the step outs for this tangle on her blog HERE

This one was on my list of tangles to try, so i'm happy it popped up in the random generator this week.  I can't wait to give it a go.

So this week's challenge is to try out Mary's tangle "Birds on a Wire"! have fun


If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (please email to weeklychallenge(at)mail(dot)com)I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

18 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    You must be very tired (and who would not be after this weekend) because the last part of challeneg 121 is the same as last week (Bales). This is what I mean:

    Here is your drawing of last week

    Bales of fun
    Create a Monotangled* tile or Zentangle Inspired Art using only Bales and it's variation.

    So, I wonder if the challenge is a monotange of Birds on a wire? Or we just have to use this tangle in our zentangle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, you're right... totally tired over here. The challenge is to try out Birds on a Wire. I'm not sure how i got last week's tile on here. oh my. i must have been delirious last night.

      Delete
  2. I think Laura means just do Birds on a wire.Think the bales reference is an "oops".
    I am so glad Laura does this for us every week.I LOVE looking at all the various ways people interpret the themes.
    Looking forward to the Bales video.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right, judy. just a total oops on my part. :D

      Delete
  3. I am so impressed with your ability to accomplish so much Laura! Thanks to Mary for the fun pattern! And I will be excited to see what you do with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all you do. I so enjoy getting a challenge in my email each week! It is such a joy to see everybody's work. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love looking at all the variations & creatives uses for one pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw your pics on facebook....well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great challenge Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did say "birds on a wire", didn't you? After weeks of rain the sun has finally come back and so it feels like spring at last. Somehow I think it shows in my tangles.
    Thanks for the challenge Miss Diva!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liked this tangle the first time I saw it at training. Have used it before but mostly as a border. Was nice to try and use in another way. Did not look at the specifics of the post so missed the "oops". Even with that you still do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun pattern and challenge! Thanks, Laura! In addition to playing with this pattern in different ways, my 2.5 year old daughter played with rubber stamps with a very similar design! Patterns everywhere!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out 71 now that is Birds on a wire

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry Laura, somehow my first entry did not link to my post - please delete. I have resubmitted - thank you muchly - really liked this challenge, cool pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, this tangle has really hit a creative nerve with all of us. There are some terrific entries and wonderful artists in this batch!! Thank you and Mary Kissel too. This one was FUN!!
    ~~Sue O.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did it! I made it in "under the wire" (pun intended). It's not quite done, but I didn't want to miss out. So here it is.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!